Winter Wear

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

Ok so I got Beckett and Goldie a nice set of winter jackets. Which ironically up until the day before I first adopted Beckett I swore I'd never be one of "those" dog owners. Now having him and Goldie I understand why it's necessary. That being said is it a good idea to get them some shoes? I saw on a site www.ruffwear.com that they make and sell them. Since this'll be my first winter with them I thought I'd get your feed back.

Mine have gone out in the snow and ice without shoes or coats but they're not out there long, usually just long enough to go to the bathroom. We also don't live where it will sometimes get into the teen's or single digits but we're usually not that low for long periods of time.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

This is the first winter for Annie Bella, who I adopted in July. I live near Albany, NY. Our winters are never the same, but we can always count on at least a few days with near or below zero weather and many days zero to 10 above. Since I walk Annie for our exercise, I bought her a winter coat for these extremely cold days.

I use a lot of rock salt on the 9 stone steps leading from the terrace down to ground level so to protect her feet I bought Musher's Secret, which is a substance put on the dog's feet. It protects from rock salt though it won't protect from the cold. (BTW, I knew I'd have to have a coat for Annie just in case the cold bothers her, but I am not one of those dog people who put her in clothes. Not my thing.)

I don't use boots.

I've lived in New England most of my life and we have had dogs my entire life, and NEVER felt that a dog needs boots.

I have a set of boots for cuts and bandage protection, but I do not use them for the cold and my dog doesn't ever act like he needs them.

My pit bull mix was much more of a sissy about cold feet than my Greyhound!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Mine don't get coats for a quick "go out and do business". They do wear a sweatshirt type top inside since I keep my house on the cool side (some would say cold -- about 65 degrees). If we go out for more than a few minutes or so, they get a winter coat. I don't do shoes because they throw a fit. If I walked them where there was a lot of salt residue I would try to get them used to something like therapaws. If they wouldn't wear them, then I would wash their paws as soon as they get home to remove the salt.

My guys only wear coats if we go for a walk or will be out and about for awhile. They don't wear boots but, I actually considered it last winter. My boy is--well let's say-- not very stoic- he actually did a fair amount of limping on a couple of those super cold days. It wasn't the salt but, the cold that froze his feeties-- we don't walk on those days anylonger- those are now spent in front of the fireplace!

I have a nice set of boots that I made reconfiguring some neoprene dog boots and stitching fleece "knee-socks" inside & added some velcro. They are both attractive and functional.

That said, I don't use them much. That is in part because I have usually also had a foster over the winter, and 8 dog boots and 2 coats just take too long.

I find that plain old rock salt isn't too bad on their feet. It is the supposedly "pet safe" stuff (most of it anyway) that really hurts their feet. (My conclusions are based on the dogs' behavior), I can't remember the name of the one "pet safe" ice melter that really is pet safe - doesn't matter much, because it doesn't really work. I live in Chicago and there is every type of ice melter used in abundance in my neighborhood, so they (dog boots, that is) are useful here.

The reason I went into all that is because if you are in an area where the salt/ice melters aren't too bad, you can probably go without the boots. This year, I will probably use them, because Twiggy is now a tripod and I'm not fostering this winter.

I can recommend the boots made by Voyagers Apparel. They are made specifically for greyhounds long skinny legs and work very well (but you really have to crank down on the velcro to make sure they're on tight enough).

Hope my novel helps. lol.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Here in Canada, Bella does wear coats for walks (I have 2 layer, 3, and super thick 4 layer), for quick pee's no coat. I'll put boots on her if it's very icy and cold, about 14 degrees fahrenheit or cooler.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest IndyHound

I have a nice set of boots that I made reconfiguring some neoprene dog boots and stitching fleece "knee-socks" inside & added some velcro. They are both attractive and functional.

That said, I don't use them much. That is in part because I have usually also had a foster over the winter, and 8 dog boots and 2 coats just take too long.

I find that plain old rock salt isn't too bad on their feet. It is the supposedly "pet safe" stuff (most of it anyway) that really hurts their feet. (My conclusions are based on the dogs' behavior), I can't remember the name of the one "pet safe" ice melter that really is pet safe - doesn't matter much, because it doesn't really work. I live in Chicago and there is every type of ice melter used in abundance in my neighborhood, so they (dog boots, that is) are useful here.

The reason I went into all that is because if you are in an area where the salt/ice melters aren't too bad, you can probably go without the boots. This year, I will probably use them, because Twiggy is now a tripod and I'm not fostering this winter.

I can recommend the boots made by Voyagers Apparel. They are made specifically for greyhounds long skinny legs and work very well (but you really have to crank down on the velcro to make sure they're on tight enough).

WE are not too far from you then. I live in Indianapolis so if this winter is even remotely as bad as last winter it'll be a good investment i think.

Hope my novel helps. lol.

Edited for clarity.

Guest IrskasMom

Mine will wear a light Coat for early Mornings in the low 40tis and for Snow Days we have a double Layer heavy Coat with a Snood . Boots we never wear . If its that bad for Boots we go home. :huh

I think it depends largely on the dogs cold tolerance. My First greyhound would lift his feet and not want to move if his feet got cold and if it was salty he would actually lay down forcing me to have to pick all 75 lbs of him up. He was a bit of a wimp I guess. The two I have now have a lot more tolerance to the cold. Wally will limp if it's salty or very cold but isn't to bad, Corinna has never seemed fazed by cold or the salt.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest greysmitten

My girl came with boots. We adopted her in April though, so I haven't needed to use them - I doubt I will when winter comes anyway. Unless Greyhound feet are vastly different than Golden Retriever feet, I don't see why it's necessary.

I live in Northern Ontario, Canada. Sometimes the temperature dips to 30 degrees below zero. I assume neither one of us will want to trek outside on those days. It'll be tough enough getting her to go pee! Oh boy ...

Most often I think of boots being used to a) protect bandaged/injured paws while outside; b ) prevent snow from balling up in their feet if they are going to be out exercising; c) improve traction; d) add a thin insulating layer for long walks on icy or very hot surfaces.

Edited by kudzu

I don't have boots for Sammi. What I did do, tho, was save some of my son's socks from when he was younger. They stay in Sammi's first aid kit for covering bandages. I also use them on the sub zero days when she goes out to potty. We don't do walks on those days, so they work to protect her feet from the super cold and I can just throw them in the laundry basket when done.