Hot, Or Stressed?

Guest jbbuzby

Guest jbbuzby

I've been working extensively with my greyhound's SA lately, and he is just 2 days shy of being on Fluoxetine for 2 weeks. I understand it takes around 4 weeks to reach full effect, but as we're working on behavior modification, he is driving me crazy with panting; I can't tell if he's actually hot, or if he's stressing out. Does anyone know how to tell the difference? I've been recording him, practicing several times a day of going into the crate for various time periods, etc. but the panting is always consistent. Let me know if you can tell...this was taken earlier today:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ed-JfzrvZl8?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(or, if that doesn't work:

)

I'm far from an expert, but it looks to me that he's panting because he's hot. I'm basing this on why and how my Annie Bella pants. Others who have had Greys far longer than I will be better able to give an assessment.

My Greyhound pants very easily. It doesn't take much distance on a walk before she's panting, even on a cool day like today.

I don't think he'd be lying quietly if he was really stressed, but I wanted to blow my brains out listening to that music for 45 seconds!

They say most Greyhound kennels play country music for the hounds. Maybe give that a try?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

When my dogs are stressed, they pace; either in the van traveling or on the occasion of a thunderstorm. He is laying quietly, actually yawning, which is a calming signal. I don't know how hot those enclosed fabric crates are. Also, that music, yeeesh. I have heard that he dogs hear country music in the kennels, maybe, give that a try.

What dose of Fluoxetine is he on? If it is low and seems to be working, don't increase it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest jbbuzby

When my dogs are stressed, they pace; either in the van traveling or on the occasion of a thunderstorm. He is laying quietly, actually yawning, which is a calming signal. I don't know how hot those enclosed fabric crates are. Also, that music, yeeesh. I have heard that he dogs hear country music in the kennels, maybe, give that a try.

What dose of Fluoxetine is he on? If it is low and seems to be working, don't increase it.

Ha ha, that's the canine lullabies you're hearing! They use it in kennels also to soothe. Check it out: http://www.caninelullabies.com/ It has a human heartbeat as the back beat in each song and supposedly is backed up by all kinds of research... :rolleyes: I mean, whatever works, right? His former foster said he uses it at his house as part of his routine and that he does well on it (though, his former foster also has another greyhound, which I expect would also solve much of his problems).

He's at 20mg of fluoxetine.

In the past, he would pant, but also get up and circle as you mentioned, as well as whine, shiver, and stare at the direction to which I left. I was at least happy he didn't do that continuously. I'll do the same filming in a week to see if he looks any more different. For the record, I did have the window AC on in the room so he wouldn't bake. I'll try to have it on for 10 minutes prior to our next filming. Thanks for your input, guys! Let's cross our fingers and go with heat as the reason.

I had a dog that started on 10 mg of Fluoxetine, then 20 mg and was supposed to progress to 30, but we remained at 20 mgs. You don't want your dog turning into a limp noodle; but, to retain some of his personality. See how it goes on the 20 mgs; it might be enough. My dog was spooky and fear aggressive or leash aggressive.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

From what I can see of his body language, facial expression, and use of calming signals (lip licking, yawning) in the video, I'd say he's mildly anxious. But for a dog with SA, especially with the description you give of his previous behavior, it looks like he's coping pretty well.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest jedortia

I didn't watch the whole thing, but she is doing a few stressey things. A few big yawns, and a lot of lip licking. Both signs of stress.

Others have said that when there dogs are stressed that they will pace and things but just like humans show signs of stress in different ways so do dogs.

She could just be hot, but I do think she is showing some signs of stressing :(

From what I can see of his body language, facial expression, and use of calming signals (lip licking, yawning) in the video, I'd say he's mildly anxious. But for a dog with SA, especially with the description you give of his previous behavior, it looks like he's coping pretty well.

Agree

Some kennels may use canine lullabys, but if your dog was a racer, I assure you, that's not what they play at the track kennels. Something that's familiar would be more comforting than a lullaby.

Have you tried a D.A.P diffuser? I can't promise they work, but they seemed to help George (who had SA at first when I got him).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest jbbuzby

Sure, we'll give country a try. Pandora will be our friend.

As for the D.A.P, yes, it's plugged in about a foot behind his crate. Pretty much if you name it/have heard of it, we've tried it with him. *sighs* For now during our period of behavioral modification + fluoxetine, the formula is essentially 45 minutes strenuous exercise, super awesome tasty kong reserved only for alone practice, thundershirt, music, DAP plug in in corner, 20 minutes ignoring before and after arrival, etc. He does appear to be doing better with extensive practice (several times a day for various times), but I am hoping we'll see even better results in another week or two. November, I'm hoping, will be a good month for Ferguson! Updates to come...

We've had Ajax for a little over a year and he's prone to being anxious. Not so bad that he's spooky or needs medication, just sort of a "Woody Allen" neurotic dog. We don't worry about it much, other than to control him more when he gets into situations where his anxiety goes up. But basically he pants almost constantly, even now well-settled into our quiet home. If he's awake, his mouth is open. We gauge whether he's hot or stressed or "normal" by how fast he pants. :lol

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest BrianRke

Just a thought, but maybe try a legitimate animal communicator, if you know of one in your area. I was a skeptic at first, but we have one here in Roanoke that is amazing!