Thunderphobia

I've been on GT for several years, I've read about Thunderphobia, I dealt with my first grey that got himself stuck under my bed during his first storm in a house, and I've dealt with varying degrees of nervousness with several fosters.

BUT -our current foster - is a phyco in a storm. I was warned that he would be... I thought that the person was probably being dramatic. NOT - she was right. I have NEVER seen this level of panic and terror. He shakes to the point his nails click on the floor when he's standing still. He can't breathe - he pants, stops breathing, then gasps. He tried to dig through our bed to hide. This was a minor storm that lasted 15 mn. Hhe was a wreck for 2 hours. We did EVERYTHING to comfort him, and try to acclimate him.. The 3rd storm - I gave him a Benadryl. Nothing will fix this fear. It's REAL.

I had NO IDEA that true thunderphobia was so bad - and there's nothing I can do, or train, to fix it. I've fixed lesser storm trauma - but this level - needs medication. For a short storm, Benadryl took the edge off...but come summer storms - this dog needs drugs. :blink:

Bebe has gotten better for the small storms but those nights when we have storms all night she needs drugs.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I tried Ace for Joe; it turned him into a zombie. Vet switched him to Xanax and it really takes the edge off. It seems like he's learning that storms aren't as horrible as he thought -- I've been able to get him through a couple short ones without it. He was never as bad as your poor foster, though. Good luck!

Guest BrianRke

Xanax (3mg) is the only thing that has come close to working on Diamond. If I give it to her at just the right time b4 the storm, she manages pretty well.

It is truly pathetic isn't it? They are beside themselves with fear and nothing you do helps. I had to go the Xanax route with Joshy too. Now we have our routine set. he comes for his drugs, then goes into the TV room and climbs on the couch. I turn the TV up loudly and copes pretty well. Before the drugs it was as horrible as you describe.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren