Setting Up To Bring Home Our New Boy

Guest pinky425

Guest pinky425

We'll be bringing our new boy home in just over a week now. I bought everything already, and I want to set up his crate and bowls and what not, but we have a chihuahua (girl) already. I'm sure she'll be sniffing all the new stuff as it's brought into the house. Right now Crash's crate is still in the box in the garage with his bowls and toys on top. I don't want there to be a territrial issue between the 2 dogs if he smells her near his crate or if she for whatever reason thinks it's her's. Should I wait until next Friday or Saturday morning to set his things up?

How exciting. I would wait to set up so your other dog does not take over. It was so much fun bringing Samlur home.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

When we got our first I set up the crate early so Jilly Bean could get used to it being in the house. I did however keep the door closed at all times so she could not get inside it, not that she would have wanted to, other than to see what was in there. By the time Emmy came home, Jilly's curiosity was satisfied and she never tried to go inside when we left the door open for Emmy. She would stand in front of it but never tried to go inside if Emmy was in there.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I wouldn't worry about it unless your chihuahua is particularly territorial. I have dogs coming in and out of my house all of the time and no one has ever been territorial over the crate. Everything in my house just smells like dog. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

When we got our first I set up the crate early so Jilly Bean could get used to it being in the house. I did however keep the door closed at all times so she could not get inside it, not that she would have wanted to, other than to see what was in there. By the time Emmy came home, Jilly's curiosity was satisfied and she never tried to go inside when we left the door open for Emmy. She would stand in front of it but never tried to go inside if Emmy was in there.

I would listen to JillysFullHouse!

If anyone knows the answer to this question, it's her.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest pinky425

There will definitely be lots of pics :) My husband is going to be out of town for a week or so after I bring Crash home and he's demanded a million pictures so I will definitely share with all of you as well :)

Do yourself a favor and read "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell now. If you have a Kindle you can buy the ebook. It's a short book/pamphlet that I wish I had read before I got my dog home!

Good luck and have fun!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck