Loosing Interest In Chews

sarabz

We really haven't given Bella many chews, but have been trying to give her more for her teeth/gums. Occasionally we'll give her a raw meaty bone, but with the mess that creates and no outside, we generally stick to chews.

The challenge is that now Bella is losing interest in chews. At my parents, there are usually rawhides lying around and for a while that was a big deal and she looooved snagging one and chewing on it. Now, not so much. We discovered bully sticks and those were a super-high-value treat. A few months later (now that I ordered a big stock from Best Bully Sticks) they're not as interesting. Tried Sam's Yams which she loves for the moment, although the resulting gas means I won't be reordering B)

She is very food motivated, loves cookies of all kinds (hard, soft, different sizes, different flavors) and inhales her kibble with no additives - she's never uninterested in any of those. Chews, though, she gaines & loses interest in.

Any thoughts?

ETA - sorry about the typo in the title :blush

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Our greyhounds LOVE marrow bones. We get them frozen. They are usually done eating all the gook on the outside before they have a chance to thaw and make a mess.

Raw Beef Marrow Bones

We get ours at a local pet store.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Have you had her teeth checked? The times my hounds have lost interest in chews we've usually found they have a bad tooth/teeth in there some where. Might be worth having a vet look and see if all her teeth are in good shape.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Hmmm... thanks! She had her dental 18 months ago (just before we adopted her) and her teeth were looking very good at her checkup in April.

The loss of interest has been longer than just the past couple of months, so I'm thinking it may just be that she's getting picky :D She'll also go bannanas for something new to chew on so it's not that she's not intersted in chews at all, just that her interest in a particular type of chew waxes and wanes.

FYI, rawhide doesn't clean their teeth anyway. Nor do Bully sticks that I know of. Too soft when they're all slobbery!

If you can find them, turkey necks are great. Just put down an old towel and let her chomp away! They're gone pretty fast!

George gets raw bones every weekend, and I just use a towel. He lays in one spot and chomps away. They really don't make a mess.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Can George teach Bella that? She likes to take raw things and be anywhere BUT the towel I lay down for her :rolleyes:

Will try the turkey necks, thanks!

Edited by sarabz