I Have One Unhappy Girl...need Advice!

Guest Oakleylove

Guest Oakleylove

I have just recently moved into an apartment. Me and my grey moved from a house with 3 other dogs. I don't think she is adjusting well. Its been about a month, and she has chewed on every blind I have. She has a history of getting into trash, and chewing paper, mail etc, but NEVER like this. I try to take her to play with her friends as much as I can, but I am at a loss of what to do. She is just having a rough time :(

Sounds like she's suffering from separation anxiety. She's used to having other hounds to keep her company. She needs some alone training. I've never done that training before but lots of other people on Gt have. Hopefully they can help you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

There have been TONS of threads on separation anxiety. Perhaps search for them and you'll get some helpful ideas?

She's not used to being alone.

Suggest, for starters, a LOT more exercise before you go out, and try leaving her with a Kong and some peanut butter in it, and maybe some kibbles mooshed in there too. Something to keep her busy for a little bit when you leave. Something special, that she only gets when you're not home. That way she starts to associate it with something pleasant instead of just being lonely.

She's not angry at you, trust me. If dogs held grudges, they'd be...well, they'd be like people, and not the wonderful, forgiving creatures that make such great companion animals!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mnblewis1

I had a dog years ago that had separation anxiety. We usually crated him when we left, until he ripped the front of the crate off while we were gone. We just started giving a kong with peanut butter and that seemed to keep him busy on short trips.

Many, many dog behavior studies (sorry, don't have time to find the citations) have shown that most dogs with separation anxiety have a "burst" at the initial leaving that lasts for about 10-15 minutes. If you can get the dog interested in something that will last past that time period, it's likely the dog will be okay alone. That's why stuffed Kongs and other toys/distractions work. With some dogs, you have to get them into the habit of going into a crate or other area with their Kong/distraction before you actually leave. So, you might have to try a frozen Kong (takes longer to get at the good stuff). Let the dog get started on the goodie while you are still there, then quietly leave.

Another key is that they pick up on cues that you are about to leave. So, alter your routine. Put your purse in the car, put the keys in your pocket, etc.,etc. all well before you actually leave. I've even known of people who altered the routine by sneaking out a basement door or exiting through a window! eek.gif

Don't make a big deal out of leaving/returning. IGNORE the dog for a good while before you leave and when you return. No big departure kisses and no big greeting when you return.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

We are also working through separation anxiety with Rhythm... Check out the post "Upsetting Letter" under "Training & Behavior". A lot of people posted really helpful comments which might help you and your dog too! Definitely read thee book "I'll be home soon". We've been using the methods in the book and it's helping so far. Rhythm has been pulling at the blinds too, even when they're open. Not sure if he's trying to see out, trying to escape, or what? Anyway, good luck with your grey! Hopefully she can find calm soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Oakleylove

I seemed to have curbed the chewing. I give her a kong every morning, but this week she has peed everyday. She has never had an issue with peeing in the house the entire 2 1/2 years I have had her. How do I fix this one??!!

I seemed to have curbed the chewing. I give her a kong every morning, but this week she has peed everyday. She has never had an issue with peeing in the house the entire 2 1/2 years I have had her. How do I fix this one??!!

If the peeing has never occurred before, maybe this is not behavioral, but a UTI? (or maybe I'm just thinking this because I'm going through it with my hound right now...)

Might want to call your vet about a urine sample.

Congratulations on turning the corner with the chewing! :colgate

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties