My Greyhound Story

Guest greytnana

Guest greytnana

I am hoping that someone out there will read this and be able to help me find closure.

We have had greyhounds in our lives for about 8 years. Our first greyhound died from cancer which was a very sad time in our lives. When she passed, our second greyhound, Gee, was completely lost without her. So, we adopted Boomer to be his new brother. Four years later we fell in love with little Pearl, whom we were fostering, and we adopted her also. As everyone here knows, they are lovely pets, and because my husband is a very busy man they were my constant companions.

We had Gee for about 6 1/2 years. He is a big red fawn boy. He came to live with us before he turned 2 years old, and he was always very attached to me. We adored each other. Our son named him, Gee. This was in honour of a school and hockey friend who died at age 15 at a Junior A hockey camp. We went to pick the dog up to bring him home after we had been to the funeral, and he has been "Gee" ("G") ever since. He is a big goofy guy, not very bright, but has a heart as big as Manhatten. I have never heard a greyhound groan and moan from contentment as loudly as Gee. He is older now, and after much vet attention it was determined that he had some kind of racing (training) related injury from which he suffered and was on daily medication. His favourite thing was to sneak into the family room and sleep on the leather sofa all day. I am assuming that the heat he generated into the sofa was comfortable, like a hot water bottle, for him.

Boomer was our Fred Astaire. A beautiful, gentle, graceful black boy. It took Boom a long time to open himself up to love and trust but the day did come when he started to come for cuddles. He had the cutest bark, and he would get so excited at noon every day when I would stand at the basement door and ask who wanted "to go to the yard". He absolutely loved to go outside for a run around the yard. Then onto the sofa in the basement for a long nap! Boom always slept on the chaise in our bedroom and when the alarm went off at 5 am. he was up on the bed like a shot for cuddles - and perhaps to give a little guidance to the kitchen and the breakfast bowls! Boomer loves his chow!

Pearl was 7 years old when she came to us as a Foster. Quite the little manipulator, this one, but the boys loved having a girl in the house. And we loved having another greyhound to cuddle. Pearl is small and dainty and quite the girly girl - but she snores like a truckdriver!!! WE only had Pearl for a few months when our greyhound lives started to unravel.

You see, one fine May morning, the three greyhounds got out the front door of our home. I had the back door open, and as sometimes happens with doors and cross breezes, the back door sucked the front door open because it had not been closed properly. My fault. But, the worst happened. The dogs killed another dog - a small, fluffy white dog. Perfect prey for a greyhound. I was in complete shock. We had had greyhounds in our lives for a number of years and we had never had any kind of trouble with them.

This happened on a Holiday Monday. Apparently the by-law police in our city do not work on a Holiday Monday. The police officer who attended the incident was very, very nice to me as I sat sobbing in my vehicle. He sent me and the dogs home, telling me this was purely just an accident.

The next day the by-law police showed up at my house and took all three of my dogs and incarcerated them. I was shocked that this happened after the city police assured me that this was just an accident. However, the stars were not aligned properly. The city was bound and determined to have the greyhounds labelled as vicious dogs and destroyed. The reason for this? There had been at least two incidents in the news of vicious dog attacks and they were not going to have anything smear their career records. More than one by-law officer told me, privately, that this was political, that everyone involved knew that the dogs were not vicious.

Every single day, I drove up to see my dogs. I took their food. I took Gee's medication. I watched Boomer shake like a leaf in a windstorm because they had them kenneled with vicious, growling, very scary dogs and he was fearful and scared. They were, without a doubt, trying to frame Boomer, the big black dog! I watched Gee fade and give up. I watched Pearl, ever the manipulator, try to get me to open the door of the jail cell and let her out. Although I wanted to punch everyone in the face, I was polite and respectful to everyone. I know the kind of people they usually have to deal with - and we are not that kind of people. One or two of the officers were very, very nice and actually quite helpful. The vet came and talked to me about Gee and his medication. The clerical staff was exceptional to me, booking my visiting appointments and waiting for me to arrive and allowing me to go right in to see my dogs.

It was actually agreed, between lawyers (because, of course we hired a lawyer. do not ever go into a situation like this without hiring a lawyer.) that Gee could be released to us because it had been determined that he had not been involved in the incident. Remember, I said he was not too bright! However, an officer who was new to her job was not going to release him to us if it killed her she was not going to agree to release him to us.

So, we went to court. We agreed to pay all fines. We agreed to have the dogs labelled as vicious and post vicious dog signs at every point of entry to our home and yard. And folks, you should see these signs! They have a drawing of a dog that looks like an attack dog from the nazi regime and could strike fear into the heart of anyone. How would you like to be living in a neighbourhood with something like that posted on a residence? Luckily, we had the dogs the whole time we lived here, and our immediate neighbours knew they were friendly dogs. We agreed to pay $250.00 per year for our dog licenses. We agreed to attend (and pay for) sessions with a dog trainer (who was the nicest lady and was nice and accommodating and loved the dogs). We agreed to every single thing we had to in order to get the dogs back. We apologized to the gentleman involved (an 83 year old man whose daughter wanted to see us crucified). I would like to note here, that at the scene of the incident, I also apologized to the people who owned the dog. I told the police officer that we would pay for any vet costs, cremation costs, and would even pay for a new dog if and when they so wanted. No one seemed to want to acknowledge this action on our part at that time. As I stated before, the was political.

All told, this cost us $10,000.00 when all was said and done.

We lasted almost a year and a half. Then the dogs got out again. Our son had come in the front door to bring our grandson in for a short visit with Nana. I did not know that he had not locked the front door. I did not check. WE all left through the garage which is the entrance and exit we now use to the house because we can close several door which provides a safe buffer zone for the dogs. The kids went to do some errands and I took my grandson for a walk. Imagine my surprise when, as we were walking down the sidewalk, about 50 yards from our house, I see three greyhounds descending upon us at full throttle. I will never forget the look of pure joy on Gee's face.

I ran, with my 19 month old grandson tucked under my arm and jumped in the car. Our front door was wide open. This was when I realized what had happened. Gee - who is truly not very bright - knew that if he jumps against the door just the right way, it just might pop open! And it did.

There is a big playing field at the end of our road. the perfect spot for a greyhound to go for a full out run.

As I was driving to find them, they had turned around. And the lady with the fluffy white dog whom they had zoomed past on their initial run, now presented itself as prey.

But, I was lucky this time. Just as the whole incident was about to unwind, one of our neighbours down the road who is a vet came around the corner on his way home from work. He saw immediately what was happening and jumped out of his vehicle and got the woman and her dog into his vehicle. Of course, this broke up the pack and they immediately just walked away. Two other neighbours took the dogs and put them inside the house.

I was in complete shock. I just went into survival mode. I phoned the adoption group and told them they had to take the dogs back, that if I kept them they would be euthanized. They agreed and I surrendered my babies to them. I do not know where I got the courage to do this. I did it to try to save them. I still cry every day.

The following morning I searched for the vet's office and I paid the vet bill for the dog. She was going to be fine. The dogs had jumped on her - and they are three big dogs - but she just had a laceration on her leg, no internal injuries. I phoned the lady who owns the dog and apologized to her. I can completely understand that she must have been terrified seeing these three big dogs descending upon her at full speed.

I have never met a nicer vet in my life. He was so nice to me. I was still a complete mess, crying and sobbing. But he was very understanding towards me and did not treat me like a criminal. And, he has previous experience with greyhounds as the vet clinic he worked at prior to opening his own, worked with a greyhound rescue.

The by-law police came that evening. I told them that the dogs were not here, but of course, they already knew that. They had already talked to the lady who owns the dog, and I am presuming that they had also talked to the vet before they got to my house. They said that they knew that I had had to search out the vet office, and that I had paid the vet bill and talked to the lady whose dog had been hurt. They told me that they were not going to press charges.

The dogs were sent out of our province. I was told that they were sent to the U.S. to be re-homed. My mind and my intellect tell me that I did the right thing to save them, but my heart will not listen. My heart is broken. I lie in bed at night and I cry. I do not know where my babies are. In my mind I tell them to be strong, to be trusting, that greyhound people are good people and that they will be taken care of and that they will find new homes and that they will be loved. Possibly even as much as I love them. I will always love them. I will never forget them.

So, if anyone out there can ever tell me where my babies ended up, and assure me that they are indeed in good homes and that they are loved as much as I love them, please let me know. It will help me to find peace. It will help me to know that I did do the right thing. I am trying very hard to move on, to heal. I cannot imagine my life without a greyhound in it. I can only hope that sometime in the future, when I am ready, that the adoption group will give me another chance.

But for now, I just want to know ...

Susan, my heart breaks for you and your babies. I know all three of them are safe and doing fine. If you need to talk - a shoulder to cry on, anything at all, i am here for you - please call me.

Deb

Edited by djsgreys

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest larock

This is the most heartbreaking thing I have read in a long time and I do hope you find some closure.

Some years ago we adopted an older hound from Ohio. He was surrendered by his owner who could not financially keep up with his mounting medical costs, I'm sure this broke her heart but she did it for him - to save him. He was with us for 3 years, through daily medication, treatment, surgery and chemo and we loved him tremendously (to this day he is the one hound that we just can't get over losing).

I'm sure your babies are being loved too but I understand completely, your need to know for sure.

:grouphug

Edited by larock

Oh my goodness. My heart is breaking for you. I hope you find closure. :grouphug :grouphug

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Such a sad story. I am so sorry for your family.

I am sure that anyone who adopted your dogs, knowing the situation that they came from, loves them as much and as well as you did. I hope this is some comfort to you and perhaps you will be able to contact the person(s) who now care for your dogs.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My beloved Joey had been returned to the adoption group because his first owner ran into financial difficulties. I love him with all of my heart. Just a couple of years after I adopted him, after he had just turned 7, he developed bone cancer. I had the financial means to have his leg amputated and to pursue chemo. He is now 14 months after amputation and enjoying life to the fullest. If he had remained with his original owner, I'm sure she would have been hard pressed to afford aggressive treatment. So he not only has a home where he is adored and fawned over, he has a home that was able to give him another 14 months (and hopefully many more) of a great quality of life.

My heart breaks for you. I am sure your furkids have been adopted by people like me, who adore them and are thankful they have entered their lives.

Jane

So, if anyone out there can ever tell me where my babies ended up,

First off all, sending hugs...I'm in tears, my heart breaks for you. Do you know their racing names? Perhaps someone on here recongnizes the names, and might point you in the right direction.

My bf's bridge angel boy was "Cheyenne Showgrin", his brother was "Cheyenne Boomer" however, it appers he was a brindle...not black like your Boomer.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I can only imagine the emotional pain you have been going through. My eyes are leaking in sympathy.

I pray that somehow, someone, sometime, can help you & you'll know that your babies are loved.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I am so sorry to read your heartbreaking story. My heart is hurting for you. How absolutely terrible that you had to give up your lovely companions. You're a good person to do so to protect them. I hope someone can find out for you what happened to them. Can you contact the adoption group in the U.S.? They most likely will have a trail.

I hope whoever take them will let you know. My boy was a "bounce". His former owners gave up him and his "brother" because the husband was diagnosed with brain cancer and was having surgery and chemo. They just couldn't keep up with 2 big, active dogs. So we got one of their boys and I keep in touch to let them know what he's up to, and even meet up with them when possible at events. A year later they still know nothing about where their other dog ended up and I know it makes them sad. So to anyone who adopts a bounce given up for reasons not within their previous owner's control, please don't cut them out of their dogs' lives completely.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I am so sorry for you loss. I can't even imagine your pain as I type on my keyboard wet with my tears. I know how much I love my dogs and what they mean to me and it tears my heart out to read your story.

No matter how careful we are they can and do get out. Accidents happen and the worst possible accident happened to you and your babies.

I am sure that whoever adopts your babies will love them with every inch of their heart and know how lucky they are to have them.

Would you mind if I re-post this on our group's website to share your story?

Guest greytnana

I am so sorry for you loss. I can't even imagine your pain as I type on my keyboard wet with my tears. I know how much I love my dogs and what they mean to me and it tears my heart out to read your story.

No matter how careful we are they can and do get out. Accidents happen and the worst possible accident happened to you and your babies.

I am sure that whoever adopts your babies will love them with every inch of their heart and know how lucky they are to have them.

Would you mind if I re-post this on our group's website to share your story?

June, please share with your group. I hope everyone shares this with as many people as they can. Be very aware of the bylaws of your town or city. For example, you can be charged here with having your dog running at large even if the dog is on your own property but off leash (outside of a secure and fenced area). Leashes longer than 6 feet are illegal. Be aware of what has been happening in the local media regarding canines and be extra vigilant during these times. Be aware of the territory that the bylaws cover as it may be regional as opposed to local. Use baby gates to provide a barrier between your greys and an exit from your residence. Install sturdy screen doors to provide another possible barrier at doors to prevent the greys from exiting your residence. Padlock the gates to your yard to prevent the gates from being opened and not closed properly which again would provide an exit to the greys and which would also prevent anyone from gaining access to your yard if the dogs are out.

I know this sounds like overkill, but I also know that you can never be too careful. And yes, you are right. Despite everything that we do, accidents do happen.

Guest KennelMom

What a sad story :(

If you can post their racing names or even pics that might help folks track them down. Sometimes when dogs are moved due to situations like this, their names are changed to make them harder to find.

We've adopted lots of bounces over the years for various reasons and cherished them all. None are your pups, but I hope you are able to get some closure.

Edited by KennelMom

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I've posted it on our website and already people are replying. One of the things our group stresses is the importance of not letting your dogs get loose and how hard it can be to catch and or find them if they do get loose. One of my biggest fears while walking my dog has always been that a loose dog will run up to us. You see, one of my girls has very high prey drive. Not only would it break my heart (as it did yours) for one of my dogs to harm another person's loved pet, but then I worry about what consequences there will be for my dog. I can't express enough how sorry I am that this happened to you. God bless you for sharing your story and if it keeps one dog safe it is worth every tear is brings to readers eyes.

• 4 months later...
Guest greytnana

I cannot even begin to express my disappointment in the greyhound community I used to believe in. My Gee is gone. The innocent bystander in all of this left us before Christmas. I just found out today. That dog loved me and trusted me so much. I feel so grief struck that I was not even shown common courtesy in being told of his passing. And he was not shown the respect that he deserved by having me at his side. He was always with me. He just wanted to be with me. I always thought that I would see my GeeGee Boy again, even if only for one last time. I know he would have wanted me with him. Then he would have understood that I did not abandon him, that I loved him always. And I will never forget him.

So, it is just about the group. It is not about the dogs at all.

My heart is so broken. My trust is broken. My boy is gone. Thankfully, he will not suffer anymore.

And I will never, ever forget him. I will never stop loving him.

• 2 weeks later...