Update On Kevin's Toe

AEB

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight's update: I changed his bandage and it still looks terrible but there was much less blood and pus. maybe 1/3 of yesterday's. We think that yellow in the hole might be pus. I hope so. I globbed some silvedine on it and spread some on the pad. I wrapped it tighter and higher. It wasn't easy to get some cotton between the toes and I hope I did ok. Left the space next to the broken toe alone.

He hasn't cried since Friday when he went into the soft bandage. Tonight he was running (with all 4 legs!) in the house and we had to get in his way and yell at him until my husband could bundle-up and take him on his second walk of the day. He had a long one earlier in the day and he was tired afterward. But he had a ton of energy tonight. So I hope this is a good sign. We'll make the appointment with the vet tomorrow and maybe they can clean it up and put my mind at ease.

I do see him stretching it more and using it for balance. He actually almost tried to stand on it a little tonight.

Thank you again everyone for your help and your concern for Kevin.

This all sounds like great news - hoping that each day gets better and better! :)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Sounds like he is doing better. That's good news! I saw someone on Facebook using Manuka Honey on a greyhound for an infection between his toes. Not sure if that person is a GTer or not. I thought that was pretty interesting.

I will have to look this up! Maybe I'll start a separate thread. Thank you!

Ear scritches to your handsome boy.

This all sounds like great news - hoping that each day gets better and better! :)

Thank you!

Edited by AEB

finalsiggy.jpg

Ok everyone, I took Kevin to the vet this morning and she said it is the tendon we're seeing and it looks ok. It seems to be healing and it seems that I did a good job bandaging. She said it could be two weeks or more until it heals. So now he has a glow in the dark bandage for Halloween!

He hasn't cried since Friday- he's doing really well in the soft bandage.

finalsiggy.jpg

Good news! Hang in there.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest madredhare

Ok everyone, I took Kevin to the vet this morning and she said it is the tendon we're seeing and it looks ok. It seems to be healing and it seems that I did a good job bandaging. She said it could be two weeks or more until it heals. So now he has a glow in the dark bandage for Halloween!

He hasn't cried since Friday- he's doing really well in the soft bandage.

Sadie had her foot bandaged this time of year too. One day they used orange vetwrap and we put a pumpkin face on it with black marker.

He was happy to see his "ladies" at the vet. The tech sat on the ground with him and said she had to spend some time with her "boyfriend, Kevin." lol.gif He then tried to roach while they were bandaging him. Is anyone else's dog that comfortable at the vet?tongue.gif

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest madredhare

He was happy to see his "ladies" at the vet. The tech sat on the ground with him and said she had to spend some time with her "boyfriend, Kevin." lol.gif He then tried to roach while they were bandaging him. Is anyone else's dog that comfortable at the vet?tongue.gif

Oh yes! My Sadie is a regular there and she loves all the staff. They love her too. We had a new tech on our last visit. The Dr. said "Michelle and her dogs are wonderful about providing us with unique learning experiences". I think I should take that as a compliment. My dogs come up with the strangest things.

What a goober :lol . Glad he's doing so well. Fingers crossed the good healing continues.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks Batmom! I'll post after today's bandage change if there is significant improvement or something seems amiss. He's using the foot even more now and I am taking this as a good sign re: both the infection and the toe. I will soon have the option of putting a plastic splint of with velcro for walks once that arrives. And that may be a good idea because he is actually walking on the foot now when he walks slowly.

finalsiggy.jpg

Thanks Madredhare for checking in! Kevin is ok. He is healing. The hole is closing. Last night the blood on the bandage was about dime-sized. Very little green/yellow. It's raw but he seems so much happier in the soft bandage. His foot still looks amess because he has lost fur and the silvedine has created a weird grey sludge on his skin. There's a new small sore where his toe nail of his bad toe is rubbing on the adjacent toe. I made sure to slip a longer piece of gauze in there.

But, I'm hoping that by the end of the week the hole will be closed and we can go to every other day changes so he can heal more between changes. He is also putting more weight on it. He is using it when he walks slowly. Still running on three legs. The Nor'easter delayed the delivery of his new splint as NH got nailed. But, I hope it will be here maybe Monday and we can use it to restrict his movement when he gets frisky as he heals. When the sores are gone and we're easing him back into use of the foot I'll just put a sock on his foot and the splint over it for walks.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest madredhare

Thanks Madredhare for checking in! Kevin is ok. He is healing. The hole is closing. Last night the blood on the bandage was about dime-sized. Very little green/yellow. It's raw but he seems so much happier in the soft bandage. His foot still looks amess because he has lost fur and the silvedine has created a weird grey sludge on his skin. There's a new small sore where his toe nail of his bad toe is rubbing on the adjacent toe. I made sure to slip a longer piece of gauze in there.

But, I'm hoping that by the end of the week the hole will be closed and we can go to every other day changes so he can heal more between changes. He is also putting more weight on it. He is using it when he walks slowly. Still running on three legs. The Nor'easter delayed the delivery of his new splint as NH got nailed. But, I hope it will be here maybe Monday and we can use it to restrict his movement when he gets frisky as he heals. When the sores are gone and we're easing him back into use of the foot I'll just put a sock on his foot and the splint over it for walks.

Thanks for letting me know how he is doing. Sounds like things are getting better. So glad to hear that. Bummer about the weather for you guys. My Sadie (black dog) now has a little patch of grey hairs where her splint wore off some of her hair. I guess you could call it a battle scar. But that's okay, love her all the more! Keep healing Kevin!

So glad he continues to heal!

Don't worry about the silvadene "sludge" -- once everything is healed up you can wash it off.

Oh, we can't wait to give him a bath when he's all healed. He hasn't had one in a year. It will be nice to get that leg all clean.

I didn't get a great look at the wound tonight, but the blood was minimal again. And he walked on it a lot this afternoon. The splint came. It was in the mailbox- I haven't opened it yet.

Also, I forgot to mention that I have been putting a towel down to keep things clean when changing the bandage and putting his bandage supplies on one side. The other night i was by myself and I called him over to me and he saw the towel and laid right down where I needed him. Then he rolled on his side to make it easier for me. He's such an excellent boy.

finalsiggy.jpg

He is a treasure :wub: .

What a sweet boy. I'm so glad he is making good progress now!

Thank you! I can still see a hole the size of a maybe a small lentil. Still a dime sized spot of blood. The skin on his tendon is looking red/raw. So I put some silvedine on it. But we're heading in the right direction.

An aside, on youtube I recently saw a video of a grey named Twiggy playing with a ferret!

finalsiggy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, another update. The wound is closed! It has a small scab in it. It almost seems to have happened overnight. But it is still raw.

The skin near the wound, however, is red/dark pink. I think it's getting rubbed raw from the movement of the bandage around the joint. Maybe it's an infection though. How can I tell? It's been like that for maybe a week or so. It started on his tendon and that's why I wonder if it's rubbing. It's been 6.5weeks- my skin would get raw too. There is also a spot of the edge of his pad on his broken toe that is pink (wore/ripped off).

When I change the bandage tomorrow I plan to just put a small pad over the wound and then wrap with cling and a wrap of vet wrap and do a separate wrap around the foot to splint the toes. I am thinking that from then on i will take the upper bandage off during the day when we are around the wound and pull a sock over it with some ointment over the wound.

I am just worried about the redness.

He has an appointment on Monday to decide where to go from here.

finalsiggy.jpg

If there's no swelling, you're probably OK. Will keep fingers crossed!

Sometimes you can use that white medical tape to put your nonstick pad on, and that can help keep things from rubbing. Depends on the area.

Thanks Batmom! I was hoping you'd post! I think if there is any swelling it's minimal. I don't see any but i haven't run my hands down both at the same time (unwrapped). I have gently squeezed it to see if he cried. Nope. I think he'll be ok til Monday. He is licking at the top of the bandage when I wrap it lower. And he's not walking on it as much this wek. SO I think he might have over done it greeting friends that visited Saturday. Or, it is raw and that bandage on it hurts so he's not using it as much. I also trimmed the toenail on the broken toe for the first time. I didn't take much, just nipped it because it does twist the toe to trim it. But maybe the nail is bothering him. He seemed a little better after I trimmed it.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest madredhare

I was wondering how the toe was doing. Sounds like improvement is being made. These damn toes! Drive me crazy. We are still leash walking Sadie. It's been over a month since she dislocated the toe and at least 3 weeks without the bandage. Doc says if it were him, he would continue leash walking until around first of December! Keep babying Kevin along and hopefully this will heal up!