My Greyhound Has Lice

This is completely new to me. Just found out that my 9 y.o. greyhound has lice. Took her to the vet for a nail trim and the vet looked a little closer under the microscope and sure enough. I have three other sighthounds and three cats so we just started them on Frontline. Never had to use Frontline where I live as we do not have fleas, ticks, heartworm issues. I have started washing all the pet bed coverings. Where do they pick up lice? Vet said it could be from a groomer, on the lawn, blah blah. I googled it and found out that dh and I do have to worry about it being transmitted to humans. Any advice/suggestions/thoughts? Thanks.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

OwnedBySummer probably found the same page I just found. Cats and humans don't get canine lice. Canines don't get human lice.

But while you and the cats might be immune to the actual biting, all of you could easily pick up lice in your hair and on your clothes when you're around the dogs (in the same way that bedding and clothing could pick up the lice and transfer them to another location). Advice for treatment is on the page I linked to above.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

OwnedBySummer probably found the same page I just found. Cats and humans don't get canine lice. Canines don't get human lice.

But while you and the cats might be immune to the actual biting, all of you could easily pick up lice in your hair and on your clothes when you're around the dogs (in the same way that bedding and clothing could pick up the lice and transfer them to another location). Advice for treatment is on the page I linked to above.

Thank you for the page you linked me to,,,,,,,,those pictures are gross. We thought we actually kept their environment pretty clean.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Thank you for the page you linked me to,,,,,,,,those pictures are gross. We thought we actually kept their environment pretty clean.

You probably do. But if one of the dogs met another critter with lice--even just casually--your dog could have brought the lice home and spread them around. And you wouldn't have noticed right away because the lice don't bite people.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Lice are species-specific, so you don't have to worry about getting them from your dog. If I remember correctly, the reason lice are species-specific is because their legs are adapted to grab on to a certain width and texture of hair. It doesn't have anything to do with how clean the hair is, as that article indicates. Here's another article about lice in pets.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

my head itches just reading this! and they are "not transferable", but according to my father(he's really old) his grandmother used to wash his head w/ something rediculious like kerosene after he cleaned the chicken coops. and that guy has the memory of an elephant! go know.. i still itch.

i do remember my welsh terrier(pre-my learning how to groom him) picking up something at the groomer, my vet called it "walking mange" a couple of shots of interceptor took care of that.

Edited by cleptogrey

Long, long ago, I co-owned a sled dog racing kennel.

We had a break out of canine lice. It was horrible to get rid of.

We think it was from the straw/haw.

I got the heebie jeebies and was itching all the time :lol

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest sheila

my head itches just reading this! and they are "not transferable", but according to my father(he's really old) his grandmother used to wash his head w/ something rediculious like kerosene after he cleaned the chicken coops. and that guy has the memory of an elephant! go know.. i still itch.

just to note that kerosene really does work. One yr DD came home about once a month with head lice either from school or sleepovers. I spent $100's that yr on lice treatments, many many hours nit picking and washing/fumigating only to have her head loused up again within 2 weeks. When summer came I washed her head in kerosene and moved to another district and we've never had the problem again.