Food Advice

Guest Amberm5151

Guest Amberm5151

I have a 1 year old greyhound puppy I feed eagle pack lamb to her and she does well on it. It says to feed 1 1/2 cup a day.... I know for her thats not enough I feed 3 cups a day she doesn't got exercise she is as lazy as can be. Last time I weighed her was a month ago 36lbs. She was the runt and we were told 50lbs max by the vet but she just doesn't look like she is putting weight on just really skinny. Any advice would be great.

Unless it's a puppy food, you definitely need to be feeding more than the bag recommends. Does she ever have puppy energy? If not there may be something wrong and it could be she's not getting enough food. She could also be going through a growth spurt and I find that they grow height and then weight, then height again. When they are gaining height, they tend to look extra skinny, but she it's really hard to tell without seeing her. Did the vet do a full exam to see how she was doing or did he just give shots?

Guest Amberm5151

They did full exam back when she was 6 months old. She has never had puppy energy since day one when we got her at 3 months. Nothing wrong just a lazy grey. She has never gone through any real bad behaviors like most puppies. She is on adult as she is a year now we switched.

when felix was adopted at 7 weeks i asked my trusty vet what food to feed him. he remarked was that the new studies show an adult food is just fine for puppies. large dogs need to grow steadily as their bones develope, rocket fuel is not the answer, he was on eagle pack large breed. i have had other large breed dogs and was checking to see if theories had changed. he never looked like a chubby puppy, too busy growing to fill out. thru the first 2-2.5 years we had a gangley dog and at times before his first birthday he was down right skinny. his littermate who was the runt of the litter filled out much faster and even started to look fat. she's the lazy one when it comes to running, he's a maniac and at 4 still runs like one.

it sounds like you are most likely feeding her what she needs, if she was hungry you would know.if you over feed her it will just come out the other end. large breeds, (salukis, greyhounds) can look really scarey skinny as they mature. people used to stop me on the street w/ my salukis and threaten to report me to the a.s.p.c.a. give her time, if she tolerates cheese that's good for training and it helps fatten her up a tad, but i wouldn't worry.

If she's underweight, with no energy, and hasn't seen the vet since she was six months old, you really should consider a visit. What you're saying is that half of her lifetime ago, she was seen by a doctor, isn't progressing normally, and you're concerned. If she were mine, she'd be going to the vet.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It took Bella (got her at 12 weeks) forever to not look like a really skinny dog. Bella ate well, I had her on Eagle Pac Holistic Lamb (switched to the adult at about 6 months) while she was a puppy and into adulthood. Bella was spayed at 6 months old, if I had to do it again I would have waited but she did eventually fill out. I got tons of comments about how skinny she was up until she was about 2. Now at 4 1/2 she looks like a normal grey, thin but proportionate. Bella now eats TOTW lamb which she does really well on. Bella did have lots of energy as a puppy, still does. Good luck with your pup.

Linda, Bella and Keeva