Skin Problems

Guest maidmarcia

Guest maidmarcia

I know greys have notoriously thin skin that can be easily scratched and cut. What I'm dealing with right now is bites. I think they're mosquito bites that bleed a bit and then Licorice starts chewing and licking them until the whole area is raw.

My solution is to clean off the area, apply some Polysporin and then put some gauze over it for a night. However, he keeps getting these little spots all over him and lately he's starting biting and chewing around his tail area. It's now a bit bald there, kinda like a hot-spot.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions before I take him to looked at by the vet? Our vet is a 30 min ride away so I wanna make sure I have any tips or ideas before I drive out there. Thanks!

We have been dealing with MAJOR itching for the last 2 months with Rocket. In our case, it seems to be allergens, and I guess we will confirm it soon because they are calling for frost here this weekend. No amount of bendaryl or ointments would stop the itching, so we ended up at the vet 3 times so far. About half of the other dogs in our neighborhood are suffering with the same thing, so we are pretty sure it's allergy related.

Prednisolone, an antihistamine, an antibiotic and a steroid spray later, we sort of have it under control.

Prior to RX meds, we tried Benadryl, NeoSporing, itch Ointments, Anti Itch Bath products, Apple Cider Vinegar on the itchy spots - with each thing only giving 2 or 3 hours relief.

If he is doing that much licking and scratching, vet visit is the way to go if the over the counter treatments aren't working. If the skin is broken at all, you might need an antibiotic to prevent an infection as well.

Hope your pup is better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Bites that are bleeding ... is there any chance they could be flea bites or even spider or ant bites?

If they are all over I would take him to the vet sooner rather than later especially as you are mentioning that one looks like it is turning into a hot spot and those are very hard to get rid of once the dog starts constantly licking them.