Panacur For Hooks

Guest itsagreytlife

Guest itsagreytlife

Selah has been treated 3 times with drontal for hooks over the last couple of months or so. She is due for another fecal exam next week. I know I can buy Panacur without prescription, but is it ok to give it to her if she is also on other de-worming meds like drontal? Its been 2 wks since I gave her the last drontal dose and the way things have been and from what I have been readiing I won't be surprised if her fecal is still positive for hooks :(.

Do you think Panacur would be of any help with this? (with our without the drontal?) Getting very tired of stalking her everytime she goes outside and then bleaching wherever she pooped...

Thanks.

I use Drontal for Tapeworms. I deworm with Panacur for everything else. I have a lot of greyhounds so I order the Panacur online. I don't need a fecal exam to tell me if they have tapeworms, they are waving at me.

PM me is anyone would like to see a photo of the tapeworms waving. This is a family website.

Are you sure you and your vet are taking about the same type of worms?

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I thought the OP was talking about hookworms, not Tapeworms.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

If you are going to see you vet for the fecal, ask him/her about adding panacur to the mix. I think I remember being able to mix the two but I also remember we had a dog on a super long course of panacur to finally fix the hook. I believe it was 10 straight days twice or something like that.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest itsagreytlife

The drontal is obviously not working, why do you keep giving it? In my experience panacur is more successful at treating hooks. I have no idea if it's ok with drontal, but there's no need for both so I would stop the drontal and switch over.

Two different vets prescribed drontal for Selah's two positive hook tests. I have looked at lot of threads on here that claim both drontal and panacur to have good results. Also have learned its not terribly unusually for it to take a long time/numerous doses before the hooks totally disappear. I will ask about the panacur. Thx.

If you are going to see you vet for the fecal, ask him/her about adding panacur to the mix. I think I remember being able to mix the two but I also remember we had a dog on a super long course of panacur to finally fix the hook. I believe it was 10 straight days twice or something like that.

I will do this. Thx!

Getting very tired of stalking her everytime she goes outside and then bleaching wherever she pooped...

Thanks.

Keep stalking her, but invest in cheap paper plates. When she starts to poop, slip a plate under her butt, then just bag the plate and its contents. Probably way easier than bleach...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest itsagreytlife

Getting very tired of stalking her everytime she goes outside and then bleaching wherever she pooped...

Thanks.

Keep stalking her, but invest in cheap paper plates. When she starts to poop, slip a plate under her butt, then just bag the plate and its contents. Probably way easier than bleach...

Yeah, read that here somewhere and tried it a couple of times. Apparently my close presence and/or plate bothered her--she kept aborting her "mission" halfway thru. Decided to stop that technique for fear of messing up her GI area further.

But great news today--she tested NEG for hooks! :colgate I have posted a follow-up question elsewhere. Thanks for your help!

Mary