Problem With Sara

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest Yankeegreyhound

So, as you may remember Sara had her rear leg amputated in March due to a nasty fibrosarcoma. The vet got clean margins and gave Sara a good bill of health. Sara just turned 11 in September and she was doing wonderfully. If you didn't see her from the other side, you would never know she only had 3 legs!!

Yesterday she woke up and couldn't put any weight on her back leg. She would try but it would buckle. We helped her go outside to the bathroom and she's fine squatting but can't stand for very long.

I was massaging her leg last night and found the spot. It's on the outside of her leg. I didn't feel anything there (like a bump) but she nipped at me when I touched it. I gave her some tramadol last night. She's not crying out in pain. It's only tender to the touch. This morning though, I touched her leg in the same spot and she didn't nip me. I also saw her try to cockroach (she can't really cockroach since the amputation but she tries!) She hasn't tried getting up today but that's normal for my girls. They usually don't rise until at least noon. DH is home with her today.

I'm praying this is just a strained muscle. Sara forgets she only has 3 legs and she gets wild. She tried to jump up on someone that came into the house Friday night. She runs around the backyard with Hailey all the time. She races into the kitchen for cookies and falls. We try to slow her down but can't always.

Also, she got her rabies and bordatella shots last week. Maybe it's tender from that? But so much that she can't put weight on her leg? I just don't know.

If she's not better tomorrow, we will take her to the vet. Keep us in your prayers.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Update on Sara! Thank you all for your prayers. She's fine! It must have been a sore muscle. The doctor said as long as she is getting better each day, not to worry and she gave Sara the all clear to go to Dewey!!! She gave us some more tramadol and some Deramaxx and said to give it to her if she seems to have discomfort.

Monday night she was able to stand a bit more. She ate her pill with peanut butter and was standing the whole time. We carried her outside and once out there, she was fine. Monday night I massaged the spot again and she didn't try to nip at me.

Yesterday when I got home from work she greeted me at the door and she was able to go down the stairs! I still carried her up though. And last night, she was back on the couch!

The doctor said that she's just overdoing it since she's 6 months post surgery and she forgets she only has 3 legs. Even just a little twist and she could injur that back leg.