Getting Your Grey To Jump In The Car

Guest Tim

Guest driser

I've been following your post because we need advice too! We got our guy in June and he still doesn't "jump" in our SUV. However, we've started taking him more places which he LOVES so he's either quite happy to go in the side with seat popped forward or he'll excitedly put his front paws on the bumper and then wait for you to give him a boost. Repetition is proving helpful, but we look forward to the day he jumps in/out with ease! Thanks for posting your question.

We KNOW he can jump, we've seen him jump for joy 3-4 feet off the ground when it's dinner time!

Edited by driser

Guest KatJon

Rhythm refused to jump in at first, and would pull really hard AWAY from the car. He didn't even care about treats or anything. We had to put his front paws on the back of the car and then boost his back end up into the car. He wasn't happy about it. Then the other day he just jumped in on his own. Guess he realized that it wasn't SO bad, haha.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gsscooter

We're also at a loss as to how to get Alfie to jump in. We've had him for a year and a half and tried food motivation and even asked our local greyhound rescue contact to try teaching him while she looked after him during a recent vacation. No luck. I basically have to hoist him in. If the bottom line is that we start looking for a ramp, does anyone have recommendations?

Ginger doesn't want to jump into the car either. So far, we've had to lift her in. Nothing works... treats, etc.

I actually think Ginger is getting closer to doing this. The other day she put her front feet on the bottom of the door jam. So while Melissa held her leash, I ran around to the other door and tried to coax her with a biscuit. She put her head down once or twice like she was going to jump in but then decided better of it and tried to leave lol. I think she's going to do it eventually, she figures stuff out *whispers*but she's a little slow, shhh. Don't tell her I said that*whispers*

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

• 1 month later...

The foster parents could not get KJ in the car. We lifted her for a while then one day i opened the back of the SUV and said UP and sure enought up and in she went. Been doing it ever since. Who knew just the word UP would work. Then I realizes she is probably use to that word because at teh track females are kept on the top level and I would guess that the word up is what her trainers or keepers used.

Guest gomiesmom

My skiddish male would not jump into the SUV at first, I trained him w/ cheese - good old american cheese, in little tiny bits.

Cheese & praise once they jump in, and a positive trip after the 1st jump doesn't hurt - might regress if they go to the vet after the 1st jump - you know my guy is smart like that......

Guest verthib

I taught 'up' for many things so when I said 'up' for the car he finally got it after 2 months of throwing treats in. It also helped to take a bit of a running start. Putting his front feet up didn't give him the momentum to push himself upward so we stopped doing that.

I assume "trunk" means something different in the UK than it does here, because I think you might get arrested if you put your dog in the trunk in the US!

:lol:lol:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

i've never had any trouble getting millie in the car, i have trouble keeping her OUT. if we go by the car on our walks, she stops & assumes she's getting in the car. the trainer at the track where i got her told me she always rode to the races in their car because she loved it so much...

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest abarnet1

I started by putting the front feet int the encouraging mine to finish getting into the car. She seems to be getting the hang of it now. I have only had her about a month. I found if I do not do it on a regular basis it seem that she forgets how. Patience and repetition seems to be the trick, even if it is just a quick trip around the block. :)

• 6 months later...
Guest kjmom

The foster family we got KJ from had a probelm getting her in the car. We just open the back and say "UP" and in she goes. We have taught her the word "WAIT" so she does not bolt out any doors.

Guest Lady_Catherine

I'm glad to see this topic! Bessie won't jump in either. She does not like getting in the car, and will flop down and go limp when it looks like I may request her presence in either of our cars. This makes it hard to pick her up. I'll have to try the treat thing. I know she CAN get in, but she rarely will. She will get DOWN, just not in.

Guest kirstenbergren

I'm glad I saw this too! I've been lifting PJ (90 lbs) into the back of our Subaru since we got him almost 2 months ago. He finally hopped right in with no enticing treat or anything last night when we were headed home from his training class. I was so surprised. We are going on vacation tomorrow so we'll see what happens over this next week. I'm definitely using the treat method if he doesn't do it on his own. 90 lbs is pretty heavy to help into the back.

That being said, I have 7 males and only 3 will jump in on their own and I've had these boys for years! :lol

Of the five greyhounds that we have had, my biggest boys would not jump up into the van or truck. Now I open the side door of the van, and Fuzzy will walk in. I think this is why most of the boys are in the lower tier of crates at the track, and also because they are usually heavier.

:lol It takes a lot of effort to haul all that bigness up! Buddy will walk to the car, put his feet on the door frame and wait for me to pick up his rear end. Harley, Rex and Buddy would get in on their own. A Place For Us recently rehomed a beautiful big blue ex racer that flunked coyote hunting 101 because he would not get into the truck and the coyote guy got sick of lifting him in.

A few years ago I was Abilene talking with a group of about 6 owners, trainers and kennel workers. I asked about "kennel up" and every one of them swore they never used that term. All of them said they used "hup". Maybe it's a regional thing.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg