Prednisone Side Effects

Guest cypselus

Guest cypselus

It's not looking good. He's not severely dehydrated anymore, and he is sleeping, but his platelet count is down to 87000, he has bruising on his tongue, he's retching, and he still refuses food. He is eager to drink water. If he doesn't improve in the next 20 hours or so, we're afraid we'll have to say goodbye.

It's so hard just being in the house without him. I keep looking for him on the couch or in the yard, or expecting to hear him strolling up to take my son's food scraps from the high chair, but he's not here, and probably won't be again.

grouphug.gifhope.gifcandle.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest itsagreytlife

I am reading about your difficulties and I am so sorry. Just got our precious Selah a couple of months ago--cannot imagine what you are going thru. :(

Harrison is obviously much loved. Best wishes to you.

I'm so sorry he isn't doing better. It's very hard to deal with it when there isn't a specific "oh no, this is fatal" kind of problem, but just a whole bunch of cumulative problems, none of which is getting better. I was so frustrated when Jacey couldn't/wouldn't eat; an upset stomach shouldn't be life-threatening.

Jacey was pretty miserable, but she was sleeping a lot of the time, so I didn't feel she was actually suffering until the last day. (A healthy greyhound may sleep 20 hours a day; Jacey aimed at all 24.) At that point, there actually was some discomfort when the vet palpated her stomach, and they couldn't get even a minor tail twitch from her when they "happy-talked" her. (Usually, her tail would twitch automatically when she heard a "happy voice"--even in her sleep, and even when no one was talking to her.) Once the vets had to start pain meds, it was pretty clear to me that I needed to let her go. We were no longer buying time for her to get better.

I'm so hoping Harrison won't get to that point--that time at the ER with IV fluids and all will help turn this around for him.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest cypselus

Thank you all so much for your well-wishes. To those who've messaged me, I can't read the messages.

When I visited him tonight he was less alert and less able to relax than he had been this afternoon, probably down to the painkillers they have him on. His general affect is a lot like when he had surgery a few years ago. He was drinking this afternoon, but isn't now. He tried to, but couldn't move his tongue fast enough. The IV fluids have him plumped up. He has lots of new bruises but they're not nearly as bad as the bruises he had two weeks ago.

On the positive side, he appears much less shriveled than he did, and I'm told he has been standing up in his crate, and that he went for a walk. The edema in his rear paws is no worse, but not significantly better, either. His heart rate is around 140, which is high but down from this morning. He did vomit once today, but when I saw him around 10 PM, his stomach wasn't contracting and retching the way it had been in the morning.

The vets think vasculitis is destroying his platelets.

The FNA of his splenic nodule turned up healthy lymphatic tissue. A chest x-ray showed nothing. There's no evidence of cancer anywhere.

Tomorrow we'll have to decide if we think he'll get better.

Edited by cypselus

Lots of prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am also going through high Prednisone issues with my 9 yo girl. Do you have the results of the pancreatitis test yet? Amber developed an ulcer from the high Pred, and then developed pancreatitis, which is painful and causes dogs to not want to eat.

Her case started with sudden lethargy, fever and no appetite. The Univ of GA had her for 3 days, resulting dx Immune-Mediated Polyarthritis. She was discharged on 50 mg Prednisone (she was down to 50 lbs at this point) and a bunch of other things for pain, liver support and nauseau. Amber's lack of appetite and worry of dehydration prompted another emergency visit about 2 weeks later when she was dx with an ulcer and pancreatitis.

I have been working with the vets at UGA and my own vet, and now 8 weeks later we are down to 20 mg Prenisode/day. Amber has gained back 5 lbs and is feeling better; not yet normal. She still has some trembling - also assuming this is related to the Prednisone.

I hope you get some solid answers today! It helps to know what you are up against.

I definitely feel your pain with the Pred side effects! The constant drinking/peeing/panting - around the clock - and finding remedies for all those related issues . . . It is getting a little better with the reduced dosage, but I'm hoping for more improvements with further dosage reductions.

We are sending you and your baby our very best wishes -

Melinda

Amber & Max

Guest cypselus

He's gone. My wife and I are devastated. We spent an hour with him and petted him and cried over him as the vet gave him the drugs. And now he's gone. We hope it was the right decision.

He deteriorated overnight. In spite of the complicated cocktail of drugs he was on, his platelets dropped, his red cells were very low, he was swelling up and bruising all over, and he showed no interest whatsoever in food or water. I offered him bacon, which he sniffed and ignored. I put apple sauce on his tongue, and he didn't swallow. I wish so much that he hadn't spent his last hours in a hospital, but 24 hours ago, or even 12, we still had hope.

Harrison (JC David Star) 3/28/2001 - 9/24/2011. Our boy since 12/23/2004. We will always love and remember you.

Edited by cypselus

I'm so very sorry. Gentle hugs to you and your wife. I know it doesn't help any right now, but you did all anyone could for your boy.

Godspeed, Harrison.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry you've lost your Harrison. I'll be thinking of you all.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm so sorry. sad.gifgrouphug.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest itsagreytlife

So so very sorry for the loss of Harrison. And the way that he had to go must have been so difficult for you both. Tears being shed for your loss. Hang in there.

Mary

My heart is breaking for you. It was just his time to cross over- and believe me I too have learned the hard way-there was absolutely NOTHING anybody could have done to change it. He knows you tried to help him. He knows how much you loved him. Oh the depths of your love...he knows the suffering you saved him from because of a love that allowed you to take that pain upon yourselves. You will love him ALWAYS. He will love you ALWAYS. Love that strong never ever dies. God bless you. You are in my prayers.

Run free Harrison. Run free healthy happy and fast. You are loved always.

:f_red:gh_lay:f_red

"For love is as strong as death....

Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.

If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Edited by racindog

Guest cypselus

Thank you all for your prayers and kind words.

I'm at work today, but my heart is not in it. It still hurts so much. That last vet visit was very, very hard, much harder than I expected, and I expected it to be awful. I'm trying to write down everything I can while I still remember it, and trying to articulate what he meant to me and my wife. He was our first 'baby', adopted when we had only been together about 9 months, and had been with us almost constantly the whole time. He always greeted us at the door, his whole body wagging and his long pointy nose thrusting at us. He didn't get as much attention after our kids came, but he still got all he wanted, with daily ear and neck rubs and ample opportunities to take food scraps from the children. He is in hundreds of pictures with the kids. He was so good with them. He didn't object to clumsy toddlers hugging him, or pounding on his big chest, or climbing over him.

Our other dog (not a greyhound), whom we took to visit Harrison when he was put to sleep, has seemed depressed ever since he left the house on Friday morning. She's not even coming to the door to greet us when we come home. At least the kids aren't depressed.

Oh how my heart aches for you. I'm sorry your other pup is aching too. Perhaps in time you will find room in your heart to adopt another hound. Sadly, I know what you are going through as well as many others here--time will create a scab on the hurt and it will get easier but, I'm sure he will never be forgotten. Harrison sounds like he was a very special hound.

I'm so very sorry for your loss and for how hard this has been on you. He sounds like a fabulous dog who found a fabulous home. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).