Hello From Australia

Guest jedortia

Guest jedortia

Hello everyone,

I have been following Greytalk for sometime now and have now decided to join this wonderful forum so that I can ask questions and share my experience. I don't actually own a Greyhound (as yet) but I am currently on my 5th foster Grey. I have been fostering Greyhounds for the past year now and it has been great fun, if not a little challenging at times. At the moment I have one of the most affectionate Greys I have ever met. His name is Shogun and he is a beautiful black male with a fabulous personality. My husband and I have 3 non-greys; a border collie, a chihuahua and a maltese x.

I worked at an Animal Shelter for 7 years and during that time I came across a few Greyhounds but before this never really knew much about them. During that time a came to realise just what a wonderful nature these dogs had. When I stopped working for the Animal Shelter I still needed my doggy fix and decided that I might give fostering Greys a go (I had fostered many dogs in the past but mainly working breed type puppies). I contacted my local Greyhound Adoption Agency and since than haven't really been without a Grey in my house.

The reason we haven't adopted a Grey of our own yet is because it would put a stop to us fostering. Our house is only small and not big enough for 4 dogs plus a foster. Somehow 3 and a foster seems just right. Having said that the house seems very lonely without a Grey in it, so as soon as one goes to its new forever home, we get another one straight away.

I love them, I think they are just GREY-T!

Welcome from another foster home. I do have a grey of my own and also a "whipador" (1/2 whippet and 1/2 black labrador (we think)). Fostering is the best thing I have done in a long time. It is painful to see them go to their forever home, but when I see my fosters with their new family I am filled with such a sense of happiness and pride that I helped them along their way. I specialize in non-cat safe greys so I tend to have my fosters for a bit longer than average. This makes it even tougher to give them away. Thank you for fostering.

Jane

Guest jedortia

Welcome from another foster home. I do have a grey of my own and also a "whipador" (1/2 whippet and 1/2 black labrador (we think)). Fostering is the best thing I have done in a long time. It is painful to see them go to their forever home, but when I see my fosters with their new family I am filled with such a sense of happiness and pride that I helped them along their way. I specialize in non-cat safe greys so I tend to have my fosters for a bit longer than average. This makes it even tougher to give them away. Thank you for fostering.

Jane

In the past I have mainly fostered other breed puppies and would only have them for a few weeks at a time... I loved having them there, but it was nice when the puppies finely left (they are a lot of hard work). With the Greys it is different, I find I get really attached and often have them for several months before they go into their new home. They are so much harder to give up than little 'ratbag' puppies :P I know a lot of people find it really hard and say they could never do it, but I love it :wub: and wouldn't have it any other way. How else would I get to share my life with so many wonderful dogs.

Welcome, jedortia!

Whereabouts are you in Oz? And what group do you foster with?

(I'm south of Melbourne and have 2 Greyhound Safety Net hounds :) )

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Welcome to GT (as an official member)! :)

Thank you so much for fostering! As you know, fostering is so valuable for adoption groups to help place more retiring Greyhounds in forever homes. I agree that greyhounds are one of the easiest breeds to incorporate into a home.

Shogun sounds like a special boy. Hope you enjoy him as long as he is with you.

Guest jedortia

Welcome, jedortia!

Whereabouts are you in Oz? And what group do you foster with?

(I'm south of Melbourne and have 2 Greyhound Safety Net hounds :) )

I'm from Adelaide. I foster through Greyhound Adoption Program SA.

Welcome! I just adopted an Aussie greyhound myself! His name is Gillie Boy and his dad is Addis Boy who is standing at stud over there. Gillie was born in Canada as his mom was imported while he was in utero. I lub my Aussie boy :beatheart - he is a very laid back wonderful wonderful guy. He is black and looks a lot like Shogun- is related via Malawi's Prince.

:welcome2

Greetings from Florida!

I was just admiring Shogun's pictures in your other post. He's adorable!

Glad to have you on GT.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France