Arlie Suddenly Lame - Back Right Leg

I was home today. All was normal, walked the dogs in the morning, breakfast, meds, tooth brushing, snoozes.

Went upstairs to do a few things around 1:30, gone maybe 45 minutes tops, when I came down Arlie was up but not putting any weight on her right hind leg. She was hopping like a tripod. If her foot came down, she knuckled.

I called the clinic immediately, got the others settled, rearranged things in the car to make it easier for me to get her in and out. By this time she was doing very slightly better - toes touching, but no real weight.

By the time we got into the clinic - maybe another 30 minutes, she was ever so slightly weight bearing while moving, but not when standing.

They checked her joints and proprioception - all fine. Believe it's a soft tissue injury. Recommended Metacam pending bloodwork, or Tramadol. I opted for Tramadol in case it really is a neuro issue and she needs steroids after all.

The only other clue, maybe, is that on our walk this morning I noticed while she was standing that the leg was trembling a bit. This has almost always been the case if she stands for long periods, but that wasn't the case today.

She has been mostly resting since we got home. She is definitely lamer when she first gets up than after she has been moving a bit, although it doesn't clear up altogether. She has trouble getting up. This does seem consistent with soft tissue but I am still not fully convinced since there was no precipitating trauma. (Unless something really odd happened in the 45 minutes I was gone.)

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a sudden change like this when there has been no known trauma, and if so, what the cause was.

Many thanks!

Guest avadogner

Did the Vet get a good xray of the hock? Augie refractured his (a old racing injury) just walking in the yard. We were first told it was a seltic joint i the EVet office. Follow up.films showed 4 crushed tarsal bones. These injuries are pretty common with retired racers. I hope everything is ok and your baby gets better soon!

ava & augie's mum

Honestly, you'll probably never know what caused it if you weren't there. At this point, I would make sure she takes it easy and if it gets worse or if she doesn't show improvement tomorrow, I would have x-rays done or at least consider the NSAID for the short term. If it is soft tissue, she'll need the anti-inflammatory help.

I didn't see if you said - how old is she?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Honestly, you'll probably never know what caused it if you weren't there. At this point, I would make sure she takes it easy and if it gets worse or if she doesn't show improvement tomorrow, I would have x-rays done or at least consider the NSAID for the short term. If it is soft tissue, she'll need the anti-inflammatory help.

I didn't see if you said - how old is she?

Arlie will be 10 in November. I agree about the NSAID, but want to give it a day or two first, just in case. The wash out period could be punitive if she needs something else.

Both Cora and Pink have done this, Pink first with one leg and then the other. All three were x-rayed; all three were some sort of soft tissue injury. Cora's affected a muscle she needed to push up, so getting up and climbing stairs etc. were agonizing (I think it was a minor injury until she went up stairs and really wrecked it; the examination and x-rays made it even worse). Pink's second one (not sure about the first) seemed to be more in the front of her leg--sort of where a human's quads are located. She'd been a bit sore off and on for a while, but last week it got dramatically worse for no apparent reason.

With Cora, we used an NSAID and rest. It took months. Ditto with Pink's first injury, although the recovery didn't take as long as Cora's. With Pink's more recent injury, we hit it harder: an NSAID, Tramadol, methocarbamol (muscle relaxant), and laser. She's infinitely better after just a week.

I suspect that sometimes they injure themselves in the yard and the problem is minor until they move in a way that aggravates it.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• 1 month later...
Guest mlindau

We are going through this now with Keeper. Her lameness started at the same time as Arlie's. It has been very difficult. She did have a bad corn which has been removed. There appears to be another cause of lameness as well. The vet thought her severe limping/walking on 3 legs had become a learned behavior. I don't think so. It appears to be lameness that comes and goes. Will probably have to arrange for x-rays again. When we brought her in for x-rays last week she had a complete and very severe panic attack when put on the x-ray table even though she had been sedated. This was with an experienced greyhound vet. Unfortunately because of the degree of her panic attack she will have to go under general for them to be able to x-ray her. We've been to the vet 5 times. In addition to the corn removal she has been on anti inflamatories and antibiotics because of some suggestion of actual injury and inflamation. We are open to suggestions and input!!