Corn Question

seeh2o

Just came home from the vet, she thinks Carl may have a corn on his pad. It's his back foot, the BIG pad, not toe pad. It is a round pink, slightly raised, circle on the one of the side corners of his big middle pad. I've been perusing the internet, Google images, GT and haven't seen one on a big pad. He's not limping, licking or in any way favoring it. He did pull away when she prodded it, but I think he's tired of having me poking at it. Isn't it unusual for a corn to be on one of the large middle pads? I'm not convinced it's a corn, but she is one hell of a diagnostician, so I'm going with her diagnosis for now. She suggested bag balm, I'm thinking propolis, based on the thread Xan started a few years back.

:paw

If the above were Carl's paw, it would be in the bottom right corner of the big middle pad (of his rear left paw).

I'll post a picture this weekend.

Advice? Insight?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Never saw a corn on the metatarsal pad. Could be a papiloma wart- they are usually pinkish, sometimes califlower in appearance can often be sensitive to the touch.

Edited to add- my girl had one in the exact same spot you are describing.

Edited by tbhounds

Never saw a corn on the metatarsal pad. Could be a papiloma wart- they are usually pinkish, sometimes califlower in appearance can often be sensitive to the touch.

Edited to add- my girl had one in the exact same spot you are describing.

Please, tell me more! His is pink and a perfect circle. How did you get rid of it?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest Adrianne

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination......just a person who has been dealing with a corn dog for almost a year now. It has never, ever been anything even remotely resembling pink in color. His has always been a very dull yellowish color. The corns I've seen on other greyhounds have all been this same color.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination......just a person who has been dealing with a corn dog for almost a year now. It has never, ever been anything even remotely resembling pink in color. His has always been a very dull yellowish color. The corns I've seen on other greyhounds have all been this same color.

I'm hearing that from the cornhound yahoo group moderator, I sent her some pictures, she said she'd never seen a corn look like that. I need to take better pics and post here this weekend. When we walk in the park there are these small seed pods that are barbed on the outside, sharp like needles. The parks dept tries to kill them off, but they still grow now and then. Carl went through a spell of stepping on these a few weeks ago. He almost always stops and lets me find it to pull it off. I'm wondering if one broke off inside his pad and it's working it's way out. It's a perfect pink circle. Sort of raised, doesn't really seem to bother him, no limping and no licking. When I find a spot on him and bug him too much about it he'll pull away, he has done that with this foot when I've been pushing on it. He let me squeeze it today and he didn't so much as raise his head. If it gets bigger or starts to look worse, I'll call the vet. In the mean time I'll keep rubbing bee propolis extract on it. I figure it can't hurt.