Greyhounds & Children

Guest ericafidel

Guest ericafidel

I have a 3 1/2 year old female greyhound, Lily. I've recently moved from a studio apartment in Manhattan to a house in Brooklyn. Lily has adjusted incredibly well to the move and has shown no anxiety or had any negtive behaviors. She is overall, a sweet, loving, docile grey. If anything, she is shy and a little wary of strangers, though when I board her she is quick to adjust, sweet to the handlers and, from what they tell me, very well behaved. Of course she sleeps half the time!

My question is this. My partner will be moving in within the month and he has a 2 1/2 year old son that will be staying with us about 50% of the time. I would like advice on how to make the introduction and establish a safe relationship between Lily and his child. As I said, she is sweet but shy. she has never exhibited aggression towards people or other animals of any size. If anything, she tends to keep her distance. In addition, my partner's son is more of an observer and a bit cautious, so we're not too worried about him not understanding when we teach him how to pet the dog, not to pull or poke, and not to disturb her when she's sleeping. I have a crate, but have not crated her in the new house. I am willing to though if that helps to ease things initially and she has never shown any dislike of the crate. I am aware of the basics like never leave a dog and child alone, but would like some real-world advice on how to make an intro and achieve a successful relationship between a dog and a young child. To my partner and me, she is the sweetest, most affectionate dog- she sleeps under me half the time and has NEVER shown aggression. But I am worried in the case of a child and would like as much advice as possible so as to be well prepared. Given their natures and your experiences, please let me know your tips and advice. A million thanks!

Hi Erica, There was recently a thread about Greyhounds & Toddlers - you'll probably see a lot of advice there that you'll find helpful. I can share my own experiences, as the mother of a 3 year old. My son is a typical rambunctious little boy, always into something, usually running & jumping at high speed, and frequently testing his limits. That includes what he can and can't do with and to the dog. A vigilant eye is key - never, ever leave them alone together, for both of their safety. I found a crate helpful in the beginning, as it has a more clearly defined boundary (I didn't shut the door - Bootsy had free rein to enter/leave). Good doggie manners are a great thing to teach a little person: I teach my son to always ask before petting any dog, to let the dog sniff his open palm before petting it, to never poke, hit, or pull.

For the most part, it's fine, it's easy. It just requires 100% supervision, but really any 2 year old requires 100% supervision, whether there is a dog in the room or not. :)

Here is the link to the "Greyhounds & Toddlers" thread: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/276108-greyhounds-and-toddlers/page__p__5015806__hl__%2Bgreyhounds+%2Btoddlers__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=5015806

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I would make sure she has a safe place to go when she gets stressed. If she is shy and tends to run back into you bedroom when you have visitors, then the bedroom is off limits to the kid. No bothering the dog in there. Along with no touching the dog on the dog bed, etc. But it sounds like you might be on the ball with those tips. I'm sure others will suggest good books to read.

Maybe study some appeasing signals? Yawning is often a display of stress. Lip licking is a very nervous behavior, etc. I would discourage all sleeping with them. The BF and I are allowed to sleep with the dogs in bed. But the dogs are not allowed to sleep with BF's 10 yr old son at all. No bed privileges in that room. Odds are both dogs would be fine, but it's not worth the risk of the dogs having a bad dream and accidentally biting the kid

Also 2 years old is old enough to help with feeding, brushing with a soft brush, basic obedience for cookies (Sit, Down, Stay) All with close adult supervision of course. It should help develop a positive bond between the two. Since he is a little boy, make sure he is very gentle with her when petting, no pulling ears, no hugging, leaning, pushing, poking, etc.

------

Jessica

I would suggest you let the toddler meet the dog in a nuetral area to introduce them. Better yet see how your dog does with other small children if you have a friend or know some one with kids. That way it won't be that much of a shock when this little person comes over. lol

As others have said, toddler rules (basic) : No playing in the crate, it belongs to the dog, not him. No going over to doggie when the dog is on their bed or even laying down (they can sleep with their eyes slightly open, so that isn't always an indicator they are alert/awake), if your room is the dog's "safe haven", then NO following the dog into that room.No poking or prodding, laying on, hugging or rough housing the grey. THey have no padding, their skin is thin, and frankly, no dog should put up with being a jungle gym.

Also, dog's toys are the dog's, toddler's toys are the toddler's.

Other than that, 100% supervision and be firm and consistent. Don't scare the toddler about your grey with the rules, but be firm enough and consistent so that they understand the rules are for keeps. At that young of age, expect to have to repeat things and separate them before the dog has to be the one to remind them of the rules.

Guest alannamac

Has your pup ever met a toddler before? I remember Bandit completely panicing the first time he met a "micro-person" on his walk. Had no idea what he was or what to do when the child ran up to us and wanted to pet him on our walk. I laugh when I think about it :) His expression was priceless...a sort of "Mom what the heck is this and am I going to be ok? "

No harm no foul, it was just like learning to walk stairs and learning that an umbrella opening was harmless, but just warning you that the child might frighten your pup just in the very fact that he is soooo small and unusual! Be very cautious and slow to introduce the two. Very short intervals are best and as others mentioned, your pup should have a safe zone where the child does not go.

Others have given solid advice, use it. Also - I'd get out the crate. Don't use it as a "lock away" place - establish it as DOG-ZONE. A place where the dog can go to get away, and the child is NEVER ALLOWED TO GO INTO. A 2 1/2 yr. old can understand - NO NO - doggie's bed. Don't touch. Don't go in.

I'd leave it open-crate. But I'd DEFINATELY give the dog a NO-KID place to retreat to.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

One VERY important thing to understand is this:

Should your greyhound growl at the little one, it is NOT AGRESSION! More than likely it is FEAR. Most of the time if you analyze the REASON the hound growled, you will better understand WHY the hound growled and not punish the hound for simply communicating their fear/trepidation that the human was unable/unwilling to see.

The group that I work with uses the book "Childproofing your dog" by Brian Kilcommons, Sarah Wilson. I would strongly suggest if you are still in contact with the group you originally adopted your greyhound through to ask them if they have a child class that you can attend or any other type of assistance.

While I may sound a bit harsh with my second paragraph, please understand that one group that I work with's return rate is 70% due to this exact situation. You are getting off on the right foot by comming here and asking for advise, I would go one step further and find a group locally that can help you "hands-on" so to speak.

Chad