Helping Lizzie Cope With The Loss Of Her Sister

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

I'll post the official remembrance post tomorrow when my head is a bit clearer, but I helped Gigi cross the bridge today. She was 6 1/2, and had lymphoma. She was the first animal I ever really cared for and I miss her terribly.

I'm worried about Lizzie, because they were really close. So far she hasn't showed any signs of anxiety but I'm wondering what to expect.

Gigi was the older hound, and was very clingy, quiet and reserved. Lizzie is independent, loud, obnoxious, silly, and while she assumed the role of the alpha most of the time she looked up to her big sister. When Gigi got sick, Lizzie started to get clingy, as she is tonight.

Lizzie has never been by herself for more than a half hour at a time. Any tips on what I can expect and how I can help, especially when I go back to work Tuesday?

I'm so sorry. :(

You may find that Lizzie does fine, especially if she is an independent dog. When we lost Bauer, Berkeley - who also had never been alone - never went through any "mourning" period, and my crew never had any major changes when we lost Princess in March.

I would start some 'alone training' tomorrow if you can. Here's a quick overview: http://www.recycledracers.org/FAQ/greyhound-care-manual.html#Alone

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

When we lost Dixie in July, I was sure we would have a problem with Taylor. Similar situation to yours, he had never been home alone without her, he is more high strung, more dominant and she was more laid back and the calm dog. Surprisingly, he mostly acted like nothing ever happened. I watched him like a hawk for the first couple of weeks and sure there are times that I have myself convinced he looked for her but mostly, I saw no changes or depression or results of her passing. The sad thing is that 6 weeks after losing Dixie, Taylor has now been diagnosed with osteosarcoma and we are facing the fact that we will be saying goodbye to him in the next 2-3 months.

Just give Lizzie lots of love and hugs. She will probably do just fine.

Gracie and Pudge have never acted different when any of our old boys died.

Remember, what you may see as stress in Lizzie over losing Gigi, could actually be her reacting to your stress and sadness. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry about Gigi. Might you feel up to adopting a new companion for Lizzie? Our hounds never seem to really notice that much when one of them dies, but that could be because we usually have 4 of them at a time. Anyway, their behavior doesn't change. But when there are only 2, life changes much more for the one left behind. You might introduce her to some dogs at your adoption group or even local shelter to see if any of them perk her up and make her happy. It may take a number of introductions to find the right one, though, and I know your heart may not feel ready for awhile. If you do bring a friend home for her soon, you may discover that the new dog helps you as well as Gigi. Hugs to you both.

Sorry about Gigi :grouphug

Throp coped fine when his litter brother passed, he was always fairly independent from Hector but was a more anxious, reserved type than his outgoing bro. At times early on he seemed a little mopey, but to be honest we were perhaps looking for something that wasn't there, i was home most of the time so he had company but was fine when left for a few hours despite never really being left alone before. It was mainly when we were out that we found it hard as he'd started to playbow dogs in the park where normally he may briefly greet but was more interested in marking every blade of grass than trying to play. I think we needed the 2nd dog more so than Throp.

Edited by moofie

I'm so sorry. :(

You may find that Lizzie does fine, especially if she is an independent dog. When we lost Bauer, Berkeley - who also had never been alone - never went through any "mourning" period, and my crew never had any major changes when we lost Princess in March.

I would start some 'alone training' tomorrow if you can. Here's a quick overview: http://www.recycledracers.org/FAQ/greyhound-care-manual.html#Alone

This. :nod

Zuri actually has some SA and while he and Neyla never showed it visibly much, he was bonded to her but he adapted just fine to her absence. In fact, sad as this sounds, I think he was happy with the additional attention he got from me afterward.

But, it doesn't hurt to do a bit of the alone training to be safe.

I'm sorry for your loss. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I don't have any real advice. I am going through the same thing here. My littermates, Rascal and Ruby, have been together nearly their entire lives (except for about a year, between their retirements). They were 'inseparable' as pups, raced at the same tracks, then we brought Ruby home when she retired. They were 12 in May.

On Aug. 23 we said goodbye to Ruby. :( Since then, every evening, Rascal stands and barks at my husband. The first time she did this, we were in our downstairs family room. She would bark at him, then look at the door (to outside). Bark, look. Bark, look. We think she was telling him to GO GET RUBY--ever since April, when Ruby injured her neck, we did not let her go up and down the stairs; my DH would walk Ruby around the house, and in through the basement door every evening, when we went to the family room. I would take Rascal down the inside steps, then say to her, "You have to wait for your sister, then you will get your treat"; Rascal would look at the door, waiting for Ruby and my DH to come in. Then we'd give them a treat. Prior to losing Ruby, Rascal never ONCE barked at my husband like that. She is still doing it, two weeks later, but I think she is beginning to settle down more quickly. It was really heartbreaking to see Rascal do that. And yes, Rascal has continued to get her treat when she comes downstairs, that hasn't changed. I think she is just confused that Ruby is not there, and her daddy isn't going to get her sister. :(

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

How are Lizzie and you doing? I hope both of you are getting by OK.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.