Nsaid Wash Out Period?

Guest Fasave

I am switching NSAIDs for my pup. The vet told me 5 days so I'm managing pain with Tramadol for the short term. I did a little research to understand more about why you need a wash out period and found that many recommend a 2 week wash out period but also stated that many vets don't think a wash out period is necessary. Anyone else done this before?

You probably won't find any concrete guidelines or consensus on this issue. The longer you can wait, the less risk of side effects from 'overlap' of the drugs (usually GI ulceration). For a severely painful dog who declines quickly once off NSAIDs, I would recommend a bare minimum of 2-3 days. I feel better if we can wait at least 4-5 days. Switching from aspirin to another NSAID is the worse, and washout period after aspirin should ideally be 1-2 weeks. If needing to do a shorter washout period, for quality of life reasons, it may help to start stomach protectant medication (acid reducer - ie H2 blocker or PPI, and sucralfate) during the transition, but this hasn't been shown to prevent ulcers.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

My understanding is similar to jjng's. If aspirin was given, you want to wait a week or 10 days. Switching from, say, Deramaxx to Metacam, we've done 3 days and have had no problems. We *always* give these meds with food (meal or substantial snack) and usually with a stomach protectant as well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How much tramadol are you using? Is increasing it a possiblity to get her through the 2 weeks?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

He was on Deramaxx 50mg 1x/day for 11 days. He is switching to Previcox 227mg/#30 tablet once a day. He has now been off the Deramaxx for five days. He is taking 2 tramadol #40 tablets every 12 hours. He is limping and it's getting worse as the days go on. He had a similar situation back in June, took Previcox for 10 days and had a great Summer. We didn't get the same results with Deramaxx so we decided to go back to Previcox. He is sore in his knee. The vet thinks arthritis, acl tear or osteo. However, I have noticed swelling in one of his toes in the last few days and it is very sensitive to the touch. If there is something wrong with his toe and he started walking differently, this could be the cause of the soreness in the knee. Given that there is swelling, I want to get him on the NSAID to reduce the swelling and try to start some healing. He also takes fish oil and glucosomine daily. I think my plan at this point is to get him through the night and start on the Previcox with breakfast in the morning. My concern is that this is a dog that was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma back in November when they saw a "bleeding mass" on his liver with possible spleen involvement. Three weeks later the mass was no longer visible on ultra sound and he's been fine since. Just plain weird, but the bleeding is still a concern. So hard to know what to do. At least the tramadol let's him rest peacefully but getting around is a challenge.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.