Extreme Shedding / Blowing Coat

Sigh. My Grace Girl is a furry, furry greyhound. She has very soft bunny fur and it's nice and thick. Every year she sheds....two big coat-blowing shedding periods, and about 2 other much more minor shedding periods.

Today was horrible! I was out of town for the weekend so she wasn't brushed at all while I was gone. I used the rubber brush on her yesterday and the furminator on her today. It was rediculous the amount of fuzz that came off that girl!

About a year ago I asked the vet if there was anything wrong. He chuckled and said she's perfect, it's just the seasonal shed. I give her one fish oil cap every morning with her breakfast, and just these last few weeks have been adding 1-2 satin balls with each meal.

Is this just normal seasonal shedding or should I have her checked for anything else? She has no bald spots, has great energy, and her bloodwork has always been great as well. Any thoughts? Or should I just stop worrying and start brushing?

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest bethac
Or should I just stop worrying and start brushing?

<<< This

We have three and they all shed, to varying degrees. Relax - sounds just like ours. :colgate

What! But Greyhounds don't shed :lol Isis is soft and furry like that too, I just blame all the shedding on the lab :P She is much too perfect to ever shed.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

What! But Greyhounds don't shed :lol Isis is soft and furry like that too, I just blame all the shedding on the lab :P She is much too perfect to ever shed.

I tried to blame it on the cat....but we don't have one. Like Isis, Grace is too perfect for this very, very minor blemish. :)

Normal! My Echo sheds like that, too. You should see what my Great Pyrenees does twice a year. :eek

I remember some pics you posted once, now that you mention it! What type of brush do you use on Echo? I'm tempted to go find myself a curry comb!

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

sounds pretty normal...we have some dogs like that and if I get lazy or busy and skip out on brushing....OMG MISTAKE! :blink:

Heather, I'm also curious what type of brush you use on your pack? I'm alternating days between the furminator and the rubber brush....but like I said I might try to find a curry comb in my old tack trunk.

Lauren, I use a shedding blade. It's cheap and lasts forever. Gets out much more hair than the curry combs.

Guest PiagetsMom

Shedding this summer has been constant and much worse than I can ever remember it being, and there seems to be no end in sight. Mirage has a heavier coat, but everytime I brush Piaget I just have to wonder where all the hair is coming from :blink:

I use the Kong Zoom Groom, and if the amount of hair you get off is any indication, it works great!

I could brush every day, but with the extreme heat here it's been more like every other day......stupid question, I think, but would really frequent brushing cause more shedding? :unsure Cause seriously, it's crazy here!

Guest KennelMom

I use a shedding blade. I also have various and sundry curry combs or nubby mitts, but those are usually only used on the dogs that have a think coat and don't shed hardly at all. On the average greyhound and definitely the heavy shedders, the shedding blade is the way to go. http://www.petworldshop.com/pictures/double-sided-shedding-blades.jpg

(I've never used a furminator...to expensive when the shedding blade works great)

And buy the blade from a tack store. At the local feed store they are about $3 but at the pet stores I have seen them around $20!

Guest Swifthounds

I use a shedding blade. I also have various and sundry curry combs or nubby mitts, but those are usually only used on the dogs that have a think coat and don't shed hardly at all. On the average greyhound and definitely the heavy shedders, the shedding blade is the way to go. http://www.petworldshop.com/pictures/double-sided-shedding-blades.jpg

(I've never used a furminator...to expensive when the shedding blade works great)

:nod

If you want to help the shedding along, increasing the fish oil dose will promote that, along with skin and coat condition - provided your hound isn't prone to the big d.

And buy the blade from a tack store. At the local feed store they are about $3 but at the pet stores I have seen them around $20!

I might even have one in my tack trunk....I know at one point I had one in my brush box so I'll have to dig to see what I can find!

Guest greytbookert

Cindy has that soft bunny fur too! Adam is also a pretty good shedder. Before these two, our hounds rarely shed. Sure they shed but nothing like the big balls of fur that come off of Cindy and Adam. All the other hounds had different types of fur, soft and sleek, not soft, fuzzy and thick.

She sounds like my first girl, Scarlett who felt like velvet. Without fail, anyone who petted her was completely entranced. I think she had a triple coat. I could use the groomer on her for 45 minutes daily and still there was enough excess hair for someone else to go for another 45 minutes. She lived to a ripe old age so, hopefully, the extra hair is a good thing!

Bunny furred Greys....so much for the "Greyhounds don't shed much"!!! We have one two and it's unbelievable what we get off her. I can still see the two places outside where I brushed her yesterday as they both are surrounded by white fluff! Best thing is what is already been said, brush regularly during this period.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Normal! My Echo sheds like that, too. You should see what my Great Pyrenees does twice a year. :eek

I remember some pics you posted once, now that you mention it! What type of brush do you use on Echo? I'm tempted to go find myself a curry comb!

Furminator and Zoom Groom! But actually I shave Echo (gasp! :lol) in the summer. She has old lady skin and brushing of any kind hurts her. She's got too much hair to brush it all out without causing her pain. So it's a shave when she first starts shedding and maintenance after that. :)

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

She sounds like my first girl, Scarlett who felt like velvet. Without fail, anyone who petted her was completely entranced. I think she had a triple coat. I could use the groomer on her for 45 minutes daily and still there was enough excess hair for someone else to go for another 45 minutes. She lived to a ripe old age so, hopefully, the extra hair is a good thing!

Scarlett :wub:

Let's hope the extra hair is indeed a good thing!

Guest BrianRke

Stop worrying. Daytona has the same type of thick "bunny" fur that you described. I can get a fist full of fur sometimes when I rub him. Frank and Diamond have the "typical" greyhound coat and they barely shed at all.