Snowflake

Guest kar

snowflake was diagnosed with PLN a fatal kidney disease. she is only four. this will be the third greyhound i have lost under the age of six. this will probably be my last post as i will not replace her when her time comes with another greyhound as much as i love them. it just hurts too much to loose them at such a young age. i enjoyed being on this forum. best of luck to everyone.

That is a low blow. Is her disease already so advanced that you don't believe it can be managed for a fair long time? Sending hugs, and scritchies to your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Nooooo. Oh, Kar, I am so sorry for you guys. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

PLN (GN) is not an uncommon disease seen with our hounds. It IS manageable and thank goodness it doesn't effect gh's in the same degree as other breeds (such as Soft Coated Wheatens). With a kidney friendly diet (commercial or home cooked) and medication (usually aspirin and Enalapril- both cheap, cheap cheap) GN can be controlled. May I ask what diagnotic's were done? UPC, urine culture, blood pressure etc...?

Don't give up hope on your baby. You might run some questions by the vets at Ohio State-- ask the greyhound health and wellness team your questions via the free consultation link.

Guest alannamac

I am so sorry for what you've been through and must be going through emotionally now. Greys fill our hearts so quickly, and it hurts so much when they become ill.

Most do not become ill so young and so I know you must be in absolute shock.

I hope that you have a long time still with Snowflake and her condition is manageable and in its early stages.

Thank you for giving so many a loving home. The babies you lost had illnesses that were predestined and it appears you were chosen to be their angel to help them. Take comfort in the fact that they knew your love and affection and not just track life before they passed.

Oh man, I am so sorry you've had such hard experiences. :( As others have mentioned, I hope you will find insight about PLN, help, and support here on GT and elsewhere. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest dray1965

I am so, so sorry to hear what you are going through. I know how hard it is to lose any of our children. For years I had cats, I still have 3 along with Bailey boy. I lost my first greyhound after having her just a year and nine months-she 8yrs old, but I certainly didn't have her very long, it was a brain tumor. I certainly hope and pray you still have quite a bit of time with your baby and that it is a manageable condition - I'll admit I'm still very much learning the ropes with illnesses they can get and treatments. Bailey is only my third one (2nd one was a foster for 3 months). It is hard to lose our babies, but like another poster said, take comfort in knowing they knew your love for whatever time they had on this earth.

I am so sorry for what you've been through and must be going through emotionally now. Greys fill our hearts so quickly, and it hurts so much when they become ill.

Most do not become ill so young and so I know you must be in absolute shock.

I hope that you have a long time still with Snowflake and her condition is manageable and in its early stages.

Thank you for giving so many a loving home. The babies you lost had illnesses that were predestined and it appears you were chosen to be their angel to help them. Take comfort in the fact that they knew your love and affection and not just track life before they passed.

Ditto

I am currently going thru PLN with my boy Lazer. he was just diagnosed the other day,, he has many things wrong with him, so the PLN is lower on my list

of things to worry about with him. see Aortic Mass or Clot thread here in H&M... that's my boy,, all updates everything is in 1st post, so you don't have to go searching for it.

My guy, despite everything, is acting ALMOST normal! I am using both holistic and allopathic medicines..

I'm here if you need to talk, vent, ask questions about what we are doing for Lazer...

Just know, Greyhounds are incredibly resilient! they can and will bounce back from the most amazing circumstances. Please don't give up on Snowflake just yet.

Even as simple as changing their food will make them feel better and be able to handle the protein loss easier.

hugs to you :bighug :bighug

and gentle kisses to Snowflake! :kiss2

good luck!

Lorinda, mom to the incredible, miracle boy, Lazer

lorindastack@yahoo.com

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14