E-Vet Or Not?

Guest Jubilee251

Guest Jubilee251

Molly slipped and fell at the dog park today - her back legs slid out and she fell while she was running. The ground is asphalt, so she got a few smaller nicks and scrapes on her legs and paws, but the biggest is right under her front left leg (like right near the armpit). The skin ripped and it's a small, open circle with a few other smaller cuts. It's not a deep cut, but like I said, the skin has ripped and it's exposed. Pic is attached - the darker red is dried blood. I tried cleaning it the best I could, and sealed it up with some liquid bandaid.

Should I take her to the e-vet? She is such a klutz and we take her so often that if I COULD keep it clean myself and home-remedy, I would really prefer to go that route. I'm just not sure what to do, and if it would be best/manageable just to take her to the vet.

Thoughts/suggestions please???

-2-6.jpg

I'd clean it with mediscrub solution (or mild antiseptic) and then put Vetzyme ointment or the sap from the base of an Aloe Vera leaf which will speed up granulation. The E-Vet would probably give a shot of antibiotics.

When Peggy grazed one of her inner back thighs by getting into an iron cattle grid by a gate on the road (don't ask!)it took about 6 weeks to get better and I banned her from zoomies or jumping.

I would treat it myself. Jake cut his foot a few weeks ago,it was late on a Saturday night and I didn't want to do the evet thing. I wrapped it and did daily bandage changes with raw honey for a week. Before every bandage change I soaked it in epsom salts by applying pieces of gauze soaked in it. It healed beautifully and this is the first time he hasn't needed antibiotics with a foot injury. Our vet looked at it last week and said she is always impressed at how well they heal without incident using honey.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Owie, poor girl. Kinda looks like a bulge near the top - hard to tell on the pics. Clean it really well. I use hurt free bandaid solution for things like that. If you have CS, spray some of that on there afterwards. If not, try to put some Polysporin/Neosporin on it. Rinse it with some epsom salt water a couple times a day and hopefully you'll see an improvement. If it starts to look worse, or pus....I'd go see a vet.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Jubilee251

Thanks guys! She's so accident prone. =(

How do I clean the liquid bandaid off? I wanted to put on a fresh layer tonight but because of where it is, it's hard to soak and every time I try to rub it, it pulls the skin. It's also hard to wrap gauze around it because it just slips down every time she moves.

If you cleaned it well the first time, I'd just leave it be for now. If you need to get the liquid bandaid off for some reason, then gauze or clean washcloth with warm water, just hold it against the area until whatever you want to dissolve, dissolves.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.