Crate And Cat Questions

Guest BlackandTan

Guest GreyGary91806

So as many of you read I had toi bring back my original adoptee LakeJenny because of nervousness and fear aggression.

So things have been going great with our new boy but since hes getting more used to the "House Life" he is getting more difficult to get in his crate. Im trying not to force him in at all but this morning I had to help him in more so than before. He would go right in up to last night i tryed treats in there but no good. I think he is starting to associate it with us leaving for the day.

Next question is we also have 3 cats and he seems to be OK with them for the most part, I am muzzling him when everybodies out, the funny thing is when he in his crate especially he gets barky and whiney when he sees them. Hes a big playful boy im hoping he just wants to play, no growling or teeth showing ever. He repsonds pretty well with a NO and a CLAP. Should I introduce him to the water bottle or save that if things get worse? I really want things to work with him and Im just trying to make everybodies transition as easy as can be.

Thanks Matt :dunno:headwall

Guest BrianRke

IMO if he is paying attention to your cats in that way, it could be a dangerous situation. In my experience, "cat safe" greyhounds pretty much completely ignore them. Even if he does just want to "play" with them, the outcome would not be a good one.

Yeah, I agree with the above.

I had three cats when I got George; he never showed ANY interest in them beyond looking at them. Even if it IS just play, he could hurt them, they could hurt HIM.

Have you made a cat "safe route" so they can physically get somewhere he cannot fit? Truthfully, even with a muzzle on, a dog who really wants to grab something can.

Was this dog perchance fostered with cats? Or did the group just give him a little cat test? Your BEST resource for these kinds of issues with a new dog are the people who know the actual dog--so don't hesitate to ask the people who picked him out!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest GreyGary91806

The track sent him up as cat friendly and I dont think the recuse group does much cat testing on there own. Yes we have a safe room set up. Its just weird because most of the time he looks at them and looks right away..

Guest Wasserbuffel

Could be he doesn't like them near his bed?

Jayne's never showed any interest in the cats after the first night when she got slapped, but she'll growl and show her teeth if they get too close to her when she's laying down. She's just saying "back off" and the cats listen.

If you're having trouble getting him into his crate, leash him up first and walk him in. He will most likely comply once leashed. Also make the crate a nice place to be. Add some toys, a stuffed Kong and most importantly, treat him once he's complied with going in. I've had my hounds for years and to this day, they get treated every time they go into their crates (I have some who sleep in crates and some who don't). He will soon start associating the crate with good things and you shouldn't have any further problems.

As far as the cats go, I can't offer any help, we don't have cats.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just want to let you know the anti-crate people will probably tell you not to crate. If you want to crate, then simply take the hounds collar like a suitcase (slipping your hand into the loop created by the "d" ring) and walk him to the crate. If he balks, simply take your free hand and push him in from the rump. Do this a few times and he will realize he is going into the crate if he likes it or not. Don't be shy about it. Your trepidation is what he feeds on and realizes, hence the balking. I always have a foster around and it usually takes a few weeks before they try the balking routine. That lasts all of a day or two.

Cats, this is something that will take a bit longer. With my fosters and cats there are a few things around such as baby gates set 8" or so off the floor blocking certain "safe zones" that the cats can run to. Also, if you have a sofa along a wall, pull the sofa back a bit so the cat can easily get behind the sofa. Now there are two types of training for cats and hounds, the positive and the corrective methods. I use the positive whenever the hound sees the cat and makes no reaction, or I can get the hound to look at me. I be sure to have treats around and treat the hound. This is the method that I use two people with. While this is going on, I do have the hounds muzzle on and a leash in case the hound lunges. The correction method comes into play when the hound actually makes inappropriate actions toward the cat. Just sniffing the cat with interest is not a problem, but it should only last about 1-2 seconds. Also, while this interaction is going on, you need to be very observant and should you notice any tail lifting, whining, slight tension of the body muscles, the hound needs to be corrected and removed immediately.

I prefer the positive training method with cats, but it takes a lot longer to train.

Chad

You say he only reacts to the cats when he is in his crate. My guess is one of two things. He doesn't want them near his crate when he is in it, or he is a little jealous that they get to run around "free" while he is crated. I really don't have a solution for you, as my dogs aren't crated, and the cats spend most of their time in the cat rooms.

Guest GreyGary91806

Wow thanks a lot everybody.. I definently have his crate set up nicely for him with toys and treats, he didnt have a problem going in whenever I wanted him to until last night, I will have to be a little more stern with getting him in but then more rewarding for going in.

The cat this is definently weird We have had him since sunday and on day one he went after a cat while muzzled, gat whacked him on the muzzle then another cat came out to protect her(weird)

Since then he barks and whines form the crate and when hes not in there very seldomly pays them any attention, maybe a little whine or bark if they get close.

If you have only had him since Sunday, I'd say everything is still very much in flux. Everyone is still getting used to the new situation, so things will probably change over the next few weeks! Just keep re-inforcing the behavior you want, I'll bet it all works out :)

Guest GreyGary91806

Yah he hasnt shown any big Agression signs, seems more to me like hey what the heck are you, wanna be my friend type of stuff lol.

My Annie came to me having been crated in all her foster situations but she doesn't like the crate. Since I had been told that she'd probably want to be in her crate often because of its feeling of comfort for her, I was delighted she preferred being in the middle of things so stopped crating her. The only problem with that was occasionally I had to crate her but having all the freedom in the world reinforced her dislike of being crated.

Someone then told me to try the words used at the track: "Kennel up." The minute she heard those words, she went right in. Of course, she soon got stubborn (that *is* her middle name) even with that order and did all she could to avoid going into the crate because she knew it meant I was going out.

What I found works is crating her with the words "Kennel up," every couple of days, even if not necessary, and leaving the house for a few minutes (5 to 30 minutes). This keeps her in practice and also teaches her that crating doesn't always mean mom's gonna be away for hours on end (something I never do anyway).

She’s not happy. She whines as long as the car is still in the driveway, but I know for a fact, because I’ve walked back and listened, that as soon as I’m out the driveway, she stops fretting.

Cats: I’ve got one and was told Annie would be OK with it but as a rule of thumb, never ever leave them unrestricted and alone in the house together. Well, I do. It’s been 5 weeks since Annie came to live with me and both animals ignore each other. I may be testing fate, but I don’t think so, and there are dozens of places to where the cat can run that Annie can’t get into.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest verthib

Wow thanks a lot everybody.. I definently have his crate set up nicely for him with toys and treats, he didnt have a problem going in whenever I wanted him to until last night, I will have to be a little more stern with getting him in but then more rewarding for going in.

The cat this is definently weird We have had him since sunday and on day one he went after a cat while muzzled, gat whacked him on the muzzle then another cat came out to protect her(weird)

Since then he barks and whines form the crate and when hes not in there very seldomly pays them any attention, maybe a little whine or bark if they get close.

I don't recommend any sort of hitting or physical corrections at all. Most trainers will recommend a clap and a stern NO, or using a water bottle. Hitting dogs can quickly turn against you and they can become aggressive. Also, you want a new dog to start trusting you...and hitting them does not lend itself to trust. Good luck.

IMO if he is paying attention to your cats in that way, it could be a dangerous situation. In my experience, "cat safe" greyhounds pretty much completely ignore them. Even if he does just want to "play" with them, the outcome would not be a good one.

Not necessarily. When we got corinna she would carry one, barking, whining and lunging at the cats when she was crated but out and muzzled she was only was mildly interested. I think it was more the fact she was trapped that got her. I admit Corinna needed some training in the beginning with the cats but is perfectly cat safe now.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

For the crate issues: I would go back to crate training 101. Do the crate training exercises a couple of times per day before he is going to get free time anyway. Also make sure he spends some time when you are home and in the room with him in his crate. These are good times to feed meals, give stuffed kongs, chew toys, etc. I tend to do this for a few hours in the evening when I am mostly watching TV in the living room where the crates are.

You probably won't always have to do this, but it's not a bad idea to do a little of it for however long you need him crated when you are gone. Zuri is still crated when I'm gone - I don't do any of the above except that he gets his raw meals in a crate. He will still choose to lay in an open crate much of the time anyway.

For the cat issues: it may just be frustration because he wants to get to the cats, whether it's to check them out, play with them, eat them. Your best bet is to have some really high value treats and a clicker on hand. When he sees the cats from the crate and doesn't react, click and toss a treat in, repeat ad nauseum gradually extending how long he has to be calm before you click and treat. If he reacts pretty much instantaneously, then you may have to start by waiting for a break in the "action". The clicker is especially useful in the latter situation because you can be certain to mark the moment of quiet as the behavior you want.

Good luck!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I don't recommend any sort of hitting or physical corrections at all. Most trainers will recommend a clap and a stern NO, or using a water bottle. Hitting dogs can quickly turn against you and they can become aggressive. Also, you want a new dog to start trusting you...and hitting them does not lend itself to trust. Good luck.

I think you are misunderstanding the post. The "CAT" is the whacker, not the human. It is totally appropriate for a cat to whack a greyhound to teach it manners...

Guest GreyGary91806

No hitting here, the cats smack him a bit but me NEVER!! He gets a clap and a NO he loses attention immediately. Things seem to be going in the right direction.