Digital Pads Pink?

I noticed that some dgital pads of Otis back paws are pink in color... all the others are black... :unsure

Should I be concern and put something on it? Is it the way he walks that make them like that?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Are they an angry pink? If not it's ok. Some dogs just have pink pads.

not really... jut a cute pale pink ;)

but they are really soft.. not like the black digit paws... could tey be more sensitive?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest GoodGreyWriter

I have noticed that with our female dog. Just one pad, and it has changed over 48 hours from a really bright pink to a more faded color, and she has stopped licking it. She has never limped on that leg. Any information would be appreciated.

They just haven't built up calluses yet. As long as they don't bother him it's fine. You'll need to build up to be able to long walks on pavement and other hard surfaces.

and how long does it build up?

is it normal for a 3 year old grey to not have calluses on pads? :unsure (he is home almost 2 months now)

Otis is full of energy and we alreday take long walks.. I notice that after those walks he does seems to be a little unconfortable but there's no limping...

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Both Dustin and JJ came to my life just weeks after finishing racing. Dustin was two at the time...JJ three. All pads felt like silk to the touch! They almost feel like puppy pads. Dustin's, who has several pink pads, felt almost delicate. They were like that for a few months...I tried to be careful to build them up slowly. I live in a neighborhood with sidewalks and small grass patches along the edge. So I would mix it up on their walks....grass/pavement/grass/pavement.....Now they both are a bit rougher....though Dustin's still are pink (just with a whitish callous over them). Just be sure to take it slow or they will get horrible sores.

My bridge beagle didn't like walks and preferred the yard. We got her as a puppy and she grew up primarily on the grass. One day we took her to a parade with some friends and walked to it from their home. I never gave thought to the fact that she really hadn't spent time on pavement. The next day her feet were sore! I felt horrible! Believe me....if your hound's pads were sore, you would know it. And the pink ones would be closer to red....That pale pink is just fine! :rolleyes:

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest GoodGreyWriter

Mystery solved for my female dog, Kayla. Her toe pad was bright pink and redness showing toward foot due to a small open sore in between her toes. We have treated that immediately. No wonder she kept licking it. :huh (Always check!)

Thank you so much for this group!