New Greyhound Schedule

Guest NewGreytFriend

Guest NewGreytFriend

We just adopted a beautiful greyhound. We have had her a month and a half. We teach so we have the summer off. However, I have been trying to get her on a schedule since school will start soon. It is hard to get her up in the morning. She'll sleep till 9:00 or 9:30--in the crate or out. I've tried offering her food first thing, but she just isn't interested in eating in the mornings. I try offering it at lunch, she nibbles a little. I put it out in the evening around 6:00 and she will finally eat around 7:00 or 8:00--she doesn't dash in for the food or anything like she's starving. We've read the Dummies book for ex-racers and take the food up after 30 minutes, except in the evenings. Is this ok? I don't want her to be hungry all morning (though she does get a kong when we leave). Is it ok if she eats only once so late in the day?

We just adopted a beautiful greyhound. We have had her a month and a half. We teach so we have the summer off. However, I have been trying to get her on a schedule since school will start soon. It is hard to get her up in the morning. She'll sleep till 9:00 or 9:30--in the crate or out. I've tried offering her food first thing, but she just isn't interested in eating in the mornings. I try offering it at lunch, she nibbles a little. I put it out in the evening around 6:00 and she will finally eat around 7:00 or 8:00--she doesn't dash in for the food or anything like she's starving. We've read the Dummies book for ex-racers and take the food up after 30 minutes, except in the evenings. Is this ok? I don't want her to be hungry all morning (though she does get a kong when we leave). Is it ok if she eats only once so late in the day?

BTW I forgot to mention she is four years old.

Guest bethac

I'm envious. One of our pups came straight from the track in January and she is still on a 5:30 AM wake up routine. When one gets up, they all get up.

As for the eating, if you want to switch your hound to a morning feeding, maybe only feed a very light evening meal and give a normal meal the next morning to see if she will eat then. Are you hoping to change her routine so that she will adjust to an early wake-up, thinking that a morning meal might help accomplish this? Otherwise, I know of others who only feed once a day so it's probably just fine.

Best of luck with your new girl and Welcome to GT! :welcome2

when you are ready to get back to your school schedule, she will learn. as mentioned above, leash her up and take her out. you will have a more difficult time adjusting to the extra time you need to get out w/ a dog in the morning than she will adjusting and learning your schedule. if she is a late sleeper than you might be able to shower or have breakfast before you go for a morning walk. it's all a matter of trial and error and finding out what works. 9:30 is a lot better than 5:30, standard wake up time at the kennel. when i got my first grey the clocks were changed that week- yikes...4:30 wake up time! i was the walking dead for quite some time.

What I wouldn't give for a dog who would sleep past 5:30 JUST ONCE!!!!

And I've had mine for FOUR YEARS.

Just to make you a little jealous, mine have slept til 4pm. Have you tried feeding dinner closer to bedtime? Thats how I trained mine and all my fosters to sleep later.

Guest NewGreytFriend

Thanks for the advice. I think she just prefers to eat in the evenings. So long as it isn't a problem for her, it's fine with me. She'll probably get a kong every morning when we head to work, so I know she won't be starving.

Sammi has an internal clock that is attached to her stomach and it is tough to adjust. What I usually do when I have to adjust her feedings (like daylight savings or schedule adjustment for me) is start with 15 minute increments. Once she starts getting used to the new time I bump to the next 15 minute mark and so on. As for her potty breaks, those are a bit easier to get her adjusted to. If she has to start pottying earlier, a long walk at the time needed for a few days usually gets her used to that time. If I have to get her to sleep in (like when I went from a night shift-430am potty break to days, NOT getting up at 430, but sleeping til 7am) I luckily had a 2 week notice to the schedule change and was able to start pushing her up to 7am by delaying the time I would take her out. The first week, I delayed the time I took her out a bit each day. So that her "dance" was later and later. The next week, when it was time to start adjusting MY sleep schedule, when she woke me up i would take my time, first in my reacting, then when I got up, and finally took my sweet time getting her out the door.

Hope that made sense LOL pretty sleepy and about to head to bed.