Something Stuck In Throat?

My foster dog, Essie, has been acting like something is stuck in her throat starting during the night last night. She acts like she is trying to clear something stuck in her throat. Sort of a cough/hack. If she has just drunk a bunch of water, she will bring some of it back up.

This morning, I caught her with a bit of a torn up fabric softener dryer sheet (if she didn't pee all over everything, I wouldn't need to use so many of them :blink: ...) I definitely make a point of picking those up and properly disposing of them, but occasionally I find one folded up in laundry. I think she probably found one, tore it up and swallowed a piece of it.

She's been with me for over a month, so it isn't ongoing, and I don't think it is any kind of acquired illness.

Is there anything you recommend I do? Induce vomiting? She has no trouble eating meals, and does not vomit any food or anything. I really don't think it is an e-vet situation - I don't think she is in any danger but clearly she is uncomfortable. I've contacted the adoption coordinator, but it's an odd time, so I might not hear back until morning and thought I'd tap the wisdom of GT.

(also, Essie has to go to another foster home on Sat morning, due to circumstances out of her control - and circumstances I wish didn't exit :( , so I don't want to hand off a problem)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Could it be a reverse sneeze?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Good idea, and one I would have suggested if I'd read this post, but definitely not. I've seen more than enough of those in plenty of hounds to recognize one. :P

ETA: for clarity...

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Chance does this too.. It bothers me as much as it probably bothers him. He only does it with water and then also randomly out of the blue sometimes. First off, I think he gets too much air in when he drinks. He also chokes on any of his stuffies that are furry. I'm trying to eliminate those. He also use to rip them open and grab and spit out the stuffing to get to the sqeaky. So no more squeakies with insides.

Furthermore, I had xrays done of his throat and belly last year and they were clear. The vet said something about a stomach valve blah blah blah... he recommended meds which I'm not a fan of. it's not that severe anymore.

Hope that helps... Good luck to Essie!

Thanks everyone - she is doing it much less this evening so the thought of it being a throat irritation is sounding like it could be right.

Hopefully it will be all better tomorrow when I hand her off to her new foster home. Goodness knows they will have their hands full with her as it is :lol