Black Grey Getting Brown Patches

Guest Jstat3

Guest Jstat3

Hi. New user here but I have been lurking/reading since I started thinking about adopting. This is my first dog so I am new to all of the seasonal changes that the coats will go through, so please excuse if this is a normal thing.

We adopted Katie (formerly Kay Fire Fancy) back in May. Its been a joy since then with minor medical issues that seem to have cleared up. The week we got her home she licked open a almost fully healed cut on her leg which led out vet to prescribe an antibiotic. This coincided with a food change from moving into the house (would have held off on the food change had I been more savvy at the time) and led to extremely loose stools. The stool test from the first vet visit also returned hookworm. Used the powder treatment on that to take care of the worms but the loose stool continued so I moved to the recommended bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. After a week on this and worsening of the movements I started to notice undigested chicken in the stool and changed to TOTW pacific stream that night. Since then the stools have been great so I think we have that all solved. We have also had to treat for tapeworm which also appears to have cleared up.

Anyway, long story short (too late)...Over the last month Katie has been shedding a ton. We expected this as reading indicates that the winter coat will be lost. On our last vet visit (vaccination booster) I asked the vet about the shedding: if it was normal etc. and he said yes and I also pointed out two spots around her neck that are turning brown. He said it could be from laying out in the sun. We let Katie out but not for any extended period of time at once as i think she has a grass allergy since her tummy gets all red after laying outside. I guess it could be the sun but am not 100% sold on it. While we were there the vet did a blood test for her thyroid. Everything I read says greys thyroid tests are not to be trusted. She tested out at a .8 for T4 (vet said 1-4 is normal, my adoption documentation states 0.5-3.6) and a Free T4 which came in at a 9 (vet said 8-40 is normal...this freeT4 test I got confused with reading online as these numbers didn't jive with what I was reading).

So basically what I am getting out in a VERY round about way is...is the browning of the coat normal this time of year?, and do those blood numbers look ok? They are low in the range, but IN the range.

Oh, also, the brown fur isn't as smooth/shiny as the rest of her coat if that means anything.

Here is our girl chilling :)

img20110525145936.th.jpg

And on adoption day

img20110522122342.th.jpg

-Jeff

It's from being in the sun. Once winter sets in, all that brown fur will fall out and be replaced by shiny black fur again.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Yup it is very common for black dogs to get brown areas in the summer. Don't worry at all. colgate.gif

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest OurIndy

I'm a new grey owner also, and have noticed some changes in Indy's fur texture accompanying his seasonal shedding. It's all very normal, so I have nothing new to add...except your girls white toes are so so so adorable!

Yes, it's normal. Carl finally has enough fur to turn red this year, and red he is becoming, Claire, too, but to a much lesser degree. Weird because she likes to stay outside much more than Carl.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Congratulations!

I knew the name sounded familiar to me, and when I looked at the photos, I recognized the picnic site.

I live in Old Bridge. Are you in New Jersey too? If so, there are bunch of us who are local to central New Jersey. There is walking group in North Jersey. You will have many opportunities to socialize with your girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

When we got our first greyhound we gave her a bath shortly after she arrived. Her nice "thick" black fur began to fall out by the handsfull!! We thought we'd done something awful and even took her to the vet's only to find out she was just shedding her farm coat colgate.gif

Her coat will come back in nice and shiny!!

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

My black Dane used to sun fade in the summer, however she also did get brown, brittle coat after a food change once so your brown patches could go either way

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest Jstat3

Thanks all for the info. I thought I might just be worrying over nothing, but better to ask and be sure.

Congratulations!

I knew the name sounded familiar to me, and when I looked at the photos, I recognized the picnic site.

I live in Old Bridge. Are you in New Jersey too? If so, there are bunch of us who are local to central New Jersey. There is walking group in North Jersey. You will have many opportunities to socialize with your girl.

Yeah, I am from northern NJ, Bergen County. I met up with a walking group already up in the next town over from me. Made it out there once and plan to make it a habit, Katie had a great time and we met some nice people. We plan on going to the fall picnic that GFNJ throws too. :)