Happy Tail

Hey, anyone have any experience with happy tail? Of course it's the one greyhound thing I DIDN'T get to see while at OSU, and what does Summit do at a rest stop on the drive home? Okay, well, it wasn't exactly a "happy" tail... he got the very tip of it shut in a door (that will teach him to walk faster... kidding of course). Anyway, it was never bleeding profusely. I wrapped it right after it happened and have been wrapping it ever since to no avail. Every time the wrap comes off (I was removing it every day) it was still oozing. It's right at the very tip so it's nearly impossible to keep any pressure on it even with a wrap. I took him in to school today and clipped the hair off so I can look at it better. It's still oozing but can't really see much wrong. Looks like maybe the skin was scraped (you know like when you fall on grass and get a scrape) so I can't even put a stitch in it. I don't really know what else to do. Darned greyhounds and their medical anomolies!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I use this wrap. It actually stays on for a few days. Best of luck. I use the Magic Eraser Sponge to try and keep up with the blood spray.

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/bald_thighs_comedones_happy_tail.htm#Happy%20tail

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest sheila

If you can find them try one of those pink foam rollers that are used to curl hair. Google pink foam rollers if you don't know what they are.

Really just need to keep pup from messing with it and protect it until it can heal. For protection, wrap like Grassmere's, or oldfashioned curler, or large syringe cover split down one side ..... I have the best luck using a bit of Elastikon further up the tail and anchoring my protection to that. Just leave the Elastikon "anchor" on until the tail is fully healed; some hair will come off with it but other bandage materials stick to Elastikon much better than they stick to the dog's tail.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks guys. Has anyone tried CS and leaving it unwrapped? Someone I know said this is what she did and it worked really well...the CS dried it out so it could heal. I do not really have much experience with CS but I know a lot of people swear by it for just about everything. Miracle drugs make me a little skeptical personally, but thought it was worth investigating.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I tried and it didn't work. Before it could heal well he whacked it again by just wagging his tail.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It needs protection more than it needs any kind of meds.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks everyone. I put a bit of CS on it. I will let it dry overnight and then probably wrap it again. He doesnt bother it and he doesnt usually hit his tail off of things. Problem is when he shakes he really shakes his tail at the end and then it starts all over. Not sure even wrapping is going to help that. I will get a pink curler tomorrow as well.

Like us on Facebook!

I've had the best luck with layering the bandage. I wrap the end w/ a non-stick bandage. Then pad the end with something. Then I wrap vet wrap around it and a few inches up the tail. Tape the end w/ masking tape so some tape is on the hair. Wrap another layer of vet wrap over it and a good portion of the way up the tail. Secure the end of that to the tail hair with more masking tape. It stays on better than anything else I've found and the masking tape doesn't remove much hair at all. The wrap needs to be tight enough to stay on but not too tight to cut off circulation.

I try and change the wrap every other day to make sure it's not getting infected, and I leave it wrapped about a week total to make sure the end is padded and can heal.

It might not be as big of a problem for your guy since it was an accident, but for a hard wagger it's really hard to 1. keep it on and 2. keep it from re-opening.

I HATE happy tail!

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I use this wrap. It actually stays on for a few days. Best of luck. I use the Magic Eraser Sponge to try and keep up with the blood spray.

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/bald_thighs_comedones_happy_tail.htm#Happy%20tail

That Mr. Clean magic eraser is a god-send when it comes to getting the spattered blood off of everything. ;)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

• 2 weeks later...