Zonisamide For Seizures

just a quick review....my 7 yr old grey Avril has encephalitis. she is much improved but still fighting this thing...it looks like this will take months and she may never completely be rid of the infection. still presents with frontal lobe, brain stem and cerebellum involvement.

The first sign something was wrong was a seizure. she continued to seize for hours, status epilepticus. would not stop with valium IV and finally stopped after anesthesia was administred for a lengthy amount of time.

Vets and Vet school have her on 500 mg of zonisamide.

If you have experience with this did it cause increased thirst? hunger? ataxia? agitation?

I'm just curious to see how much is meds and how much is still active infection and inflammation of brain. oh and yes, I understand she's completely wiped out too so I'm sure it's every thing combined.

also where do you purchase your zonisamide? It's pretty pricey and has only been around since 2001. the generic form isn't tested and Avril's Neurologist doesn't want her to use it.

I understand seizure meds etc. I've had seizure dogs before. Obviously not on this med.

It's my understanding from the Neurologist zonisamide is the "new" med of choice for seizures and has the least side effects and gives us the most benefit of making sure we can keep her seizure free. This is also my understanding from all the Vets at the vet school.

any info on this drug will be greatly appreciated!

big thanks for all the good thoughts on my girl, Avril! She's a fighter!

Edited by Devotion

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Can't help but you might PM LindsaySF if she doesn't see this -- I'm pretty sure she has experience with it.

So glad your girl has improved. Continued prayers for a full recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

thanks Jey! Yeah, I'm extremely proud of my girl.....

She is such a fighter and really amazed everyone.

I will contact Lindsey if she doesn't respond.

My understanding is that this is really the new med for seizures. The best results with the least side effects. And I can say, Avril's personality is still completely delightful and so endearing. She's not drunk but has some mod-severe neurological deficits. and I have been forwarned that encephalitis and status epilepticus can cause brain damage.

again, thank you for good thoughts!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

We are all proud of Avril.

Thus far, Walmart's been our best price. I'll check around further.

Pam is correct. we generally use zonismaide in our practice. Pheno causes to many negative side effects. Some dogs never get their personality back from this drug.

The one major drawback of zonisamide is the cost. Generally it 100 per month.

Edited by mike

The neurologist I work with recommends the generic zonisamide. I did a search on VIN (vet forum), and didn't see any mention of the generic being less effective than the brand name Zonagran. In fact, in all the posts I found, neurologists were recommending the generic, especially for large dogs. I just started a 90 lb dog on zonisamide at 400 mg twice daily, and the local compounding pharmacy had it for about $50/month. Walmart was over $100 (for the generic).

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

intersting about generic zonisamide. would you kindly pm me the name of the neurologist? I'd be so appreciative. the main concern is the binding ingredient of the generic not the actual drug itself. this would be magnificant if the generic is an option for canines.

thank you.

It's my understanding from the Neurologist zonisamide is the "new" med of choice for seizures and has the least side effects and gives us the most benefit of making sure we can keep her seizure free. This is also my understanding from all the Vets at the vet school.

From reading the EPIL-K9 list, the "new" med of choice I've seen pet owners have their dogs on is Keppra. I see quite a few dogs on it, but not that many on Zonisamide. I'm actually on Zonisamide (Zonegran) myself for migraines, but it appears the side effects are different in humans than in dogs because mine are totally different than what you've described.

Have you checked Costco for pricing? You don't need to be a member to be able to use their pharmacy.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I've been reading up on the Canine Epilepsy Forum and Zonisamide is being mentioned more and more. I will be mentioning this to my vet tomorrow. We had been on Pheno and then recently changed to Keppra. Steak still seizes about every two weeks. They are full on Gran Mal seizures. :( I quit writing about them all the time because it just got depressing. It's hard to continue to say, "he had another one" and not be able to stop them or to just "fix" him.

Good luck to you and your girl.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

From reading the EPIL-K9 list, the "new" med of choice I've seen pet owners have their dogs on is Keppra. I see quite a few dogs on it, but not that many on Zonisamide. I'm actually on Zonisamide (Zonegran) myself for migraines, but it appears the side effects are different in humans than in dogs because mine are totally different than what you've described.

Have you checked Costco for pricing? You don't need to be a member to be able to use their pharmacy.

thank you! I checked out costco for pricing and about the same I got elsewhere.

and no, Keppra's not the the med of choice for vet schools. it's zonisamide. and believe you me, I'm not interested in starting an arguement or debate. nothing against you but no pheno and keppra aren't the choice now.

the only drawback for zonisamide is price.

and I really don't think all the effects we see with Avril are drug related. just asking for imput!

Can't help with the zonisamide, but I'm so glad Avril is doing better and I hope she continues to get better! Do they have any idea about what caused the infection?

yes, they know for sure it's from a TBD erhlichia but another bacteria is still being determined. the vet school says this is the worst case they've ever seen. and my girl is only 7 and was so healthy. they are treating with two antibiotics.

she's making great strides but has a long way to go. she is still in the fight so we are too.

thank you so much for your continued support! Your experience and blog has been so helpful!

scootersig_A4.jpg

I've been reading up on the Canine Epilepsy Forum and Zonisamide is being mentioned more and more. I will be mentioning this to my vet tomorrow. We had been on Pheno and then recently changed to Keppra. Steak still seizes about every two weeks. They are full on Gran Mal seizures. :( I quit writing about them all the time because it just got depressing. It's hard to continue to say, "he had another one" and not be able to stop them or to just "fix" him.

Good luck to you and your girl.

thnaks for your good thoughts for Avril~

I don't post much at all. Ha I get random comments about my girl that don't even pertain to what I'm asking. but I know, people mean well it's just sometimes they don't get that my vet knows the difference from a seizure and chill.

but yes, from what I've discovered in the last couple of weeks is this... vet schools, neurologists and many vets recommend zonisamide first. many many reasons, but basically it doesn't make your dog a zombie. and I've had seizure dogs before so this med is new to me. we are experiencing some effects. HOWEVER, Avril has such a massive brain inflammation that I'm not saying it's this med. She has pretty bad neuro signs. But this isn't surprising due to the extent of her infection.

I would really seek out putting your dog on zonisamide. Fortunatley, I can afford it. it's depressing others can not.

and I know there is a generic but Tx A&M doesn't recommend this. There are no tests saying the binding chemical is ok for pets. However, that's not to say no one should try it. I guess I'm just in a bad place. If my girl seizes again, bottom line she's going to the bridge. Her brain can not handle it. so I can't risk a generic at this time. YMMV.

Pam

!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Mike reached out as well and talked about Zonisamide so that is really pushing me to talk to my vet about it in the morning.

Steak isn't a zombie, but he isn't the fun, goofy, silly boy he used to be. I can afford the meds. I don't mind paying for it if it helps him.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Mike reached out as well and talked about Zonisamide so that is really pushing me to talk to my vet about it in the morning.

Steak isn't a zombie, but he isn't the fun, goofy, silly boy he used to be. I can afford the meds. I don't mind paying for it if it helps him.

Honetly, I can't encourage you enought to do this. In all honesty, I have met and spoken with so many vets about Avril. There has not been one that has suggested anything different. and yes, she never presented with a seizure before this but it looks like if she lives she will be on this med for a long duration if not forever. unfortunatley, what i'm dealing with many never completely leave.

I have not seen any personality changes at all in avril and believe you me, her brain is bad. so yeah check it out.

and for any readers, please understand to go with what your vet says. however, educate yourself and seek out other experts as well. there are new drugs being devoped daily.

and yes, Mike knows his stuff Kamsmom. He can help lots.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Beth, is there a local (or even not so local) neurologist that your vet can consult with over the phone? Our closest neurologist is over an hour away, and we do a lot of phone consults. He's always willing to give advice regardless of whether he's seen the dog or not. Instead of switching from one drug to another, sometimes you need to do drug combinations. I have an iggy patient who has been particularly difficult who is currently on 4 seizure meds (pheno, KBr, zonisamide, and Keppra). He still has clusters every couple months, but that's better than when it was every 2-3 weeks.

Pam, if you can afford it and your vets feel Zonegran is more effective than the generic zonisamide, that certainly sounds like the best way to go. Avril sounds like an amazing girl with everything you've gone through, and I hope she continues to improve.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Rainey was on both zonisamide and Keppra (levecetiram) and we got it at Costco for a really cheap price (Keppra is WAY more $$$ than the zonisamide). We didn't see much if any issues with it other than the initial wackiness when going on it or adjusting the level. Unfortunately for Rainey, neither helped with the seizures (only pheno did for her, but that had horrible side effects for her) but each dog is different.

good luck and please keep us posted!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest LindsaySF

Sophie is on Zonisamide. She gets 800 mg/day. 400 in the AM, 400 in the PM. We get it from the pharmacy at Angell Memorial (Boston MA). You can also check Costco though, Costco was only like $5 more than Angell when I last checked.

The Phenobarbital and KBr weren't providing enough seizure control, and every time we increased the Pheno Sophie went psycho with side effects (hunger, thirst, pacing, urinary incontinence, etc). I sought out a neurologist and he added Zonisamide. He plans to add Keppra next if needed.

The neuro we saw (Dr. Sisson at Angell Memorial) says his first drug of choice for seizures is Zonisamide, followed by Keppra. Both provide good seizure control with fewer side effects than Phenobarbital or KBr. Keppra is more expensive than Zonisamide, which is why he goes for Zonisamide first. He said some dogs can have a decreased appetite on Zonisamide, or some breathing changes (it lowers the pH of the blood or something in rare cases, so the dog breathes more to expel the CO2?) but it usually doesn't cause thirst, hunger, or personality changes like Pheno or KBr. Sophie was off her food a bit each time we increased the dose, but was fine after a few days.

Good luck!

~Lindsay~

thank you so much to all who have contributed! I'm really at a loss for all that's taken place.

Avril had a greyt day! I'm holding on to that!

I obviously in my stressed out brain mis-understood costco. they do have the best price. thanks for the nudge to check again. :blush

again, i'm so appreciative for your thoughts.

and to all who provided first hand info about the side effects, thank you.

I'm just so proud of my girl....

scootersig_A4.jpg