Cracked Dew Claw, Next Steps?

Guest johnwe

Guest johnwe

My grey cracked his dew claw today. I think this happened when he did a running leap on to the deck (leaped 4 steps) and slid/smashed into a wooden deck chair with a big yelp.

Moments later inside we noticed his dew claw had a drop of blood on it and was cracked looking like it cracked into the quick.

We cleaned it but did not wrap it for now. Might get him to the vet tomorrow.

His nails are due to be cut.

Will this just heal on it's own? He jumped on the bed later and yelped, I guess the bed gives enough to put pressure up that high on his leg.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Guest MnMDogs

We just went through this with Greg less than 2 weeks ago. We took him to the vet since it was sticking straight out at a 90 degree angle and we weren't sure how bad it was. The vet just clipped it very far back, and it healed very well...we probably didn't need the vet visit.

It should heal on it's own. I'd be sure to keep it clean and watch for any signs of infection. If it does become infected, antibiotics will fix it right up.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'd personally make sure he didn't hurt something else. I can't imagine a cracked dew claw being enough to make him yelp in pain later. You described quite a leap (and crash!) and he may have pulled or strained something else.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest johnwe

I'd personally make sure he didn't hurt something else. I can't imagine a cracked dew claw being enough to make him yelp in pain later. You described quite a leap (and crash!) and he may have pulled or strained something else.

That sounds very reasonable. We took a look at him. He's a big yelper/screamer though. Almost any level of discontent can get a bloody murder yelp out of him. You should have seen his vet jump a few feet back the first time she heard it. I even warned her before she started the exam that he was likely going to yelp.

Thanks for the comments.

Dew claws are such a pain. China Blue lost one - we found it on the bed - no blood :blink: . I don't know why they don't remove them when the dogs are puppies.

That sounds very reasonable. We took a look at him. He's a big yelper/screamer though. Almost any level of discontent can get a bloody murder yelp out of him. You should have seen his vet jump a few feet back the first time she heard it. I even warned her before she started the exam that he was likely going to yelp.

Thanks for the comments.

Drama king, eh?

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest Diana

One of my dogs had her dew claw & toe removed in January of this year. She whimpered a little when I was putting on her coat that goes up over her legs. I checked out her leg and saw that her dew claw was at an odd angle. Trip to the vet and xrays showed that she had snapped the toe. So it was amputated.

I've had many fosters that did not have dew claws. Wish mine didn't, I hate trimming them.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest johnwe

My wife got him to the vet today. They trimmed the nail down and wrapped it up. He'll go back to see how it's healing. He was not doing well last night so it needed some more attention.

henry_bluefoot.jpg

My bridge girl Nevada had several problems with her dew claws & they were quite painful. Yes, she tended to be a drama queen, but these truely seemed painful. Had I known what a pain they were going to be I would have had them removed during her spay. :(

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest johnwe

I think they wrapped it so he would not lick it. He came home with an Elizabethian collar too. We've given him some breaks from that when he's sitting with us in the same room.

It had stopped bleeding before we brought him in, but the crack was pretty big and was causing him pain.

I'm surprised that they wrapped it. Was it still bleeding?

Guest MnMDogs

Ahh, I got it. We got some antibiotics for Greg and left it open. We also gave him tramadol as needed for pain. It's amazing how much pain those darn dew claws can cause!

Guest DoofBert

Our Bacchus has a condition called SLO -- where is toenails crack on regular basis (not so much recently since he has been on medication for it);..... The vet did wrap the cracked nail to keep it clean and dry and also to provide for some padding. Bacchus also wore a pastic bag to keep things dry if the groun was wet.

Antibiotics were given on a few ocassions.... Bacchus healed up in no time.

Hugs to your pupper.

My wife got him to the vet today. They trimmed the nail down and wrapped it up. He'll go back to see how it's healing. He was not doing well last night so it needed some more attention.

henry_bluefoot.jpg

This has happened to my Max 3 times now, and this is exactly how my vet took care of it and he yelped each time, vet cut it way back and wrapped because of the bleeding and him licking it. The bandages should be taken off so air can get at it, my vet removed before 48 hours.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten