Lyme Vaccine Side Effects

Guest Naty

Hi Naty,

A few years back when Toby was with us, we gave him the Lyme vaccine and did not have any side effects at all. However, I only had him receive it once and did not continue it. I haven't used it on any of my greys since. Have you tried it with Erin or Bailey?

Pat

Pat - I had a brain cramp and agreed to do it on both of them - and I regretted it. The vaccine was a few days before Erin's issues early this month. Her lameness has now shifted to the front right leg. The swelling on the joints, the tenderness on the neck, the shifting of lameness, all seem consistent with lyme. I'm discussing a round of doxy with my vet.

Edited by Naty

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I don't live in an area with a huge lyme problem... but I don't know if I would vaccinate it either way. Vaccines are becoming more and more associated with problems like IMHA and cancer. I'll stick with tick prevention like Frontline or Advantix. Wish we could just kill off all those horrible little bugs!!!

My Joey's leg swelled up huge after his 1st Lepto booster, Leggs had a bad reaction to a distemper/parvo, and my Louie almost had a leg amputated after a reaction to his rabies vaccine! I'm getting to the point where the vaccines seem more dangerous than the diseases!

Edited by d0ggiem0mma

Guest zombrie

I've known several dogs who have gotten lyme even while getting the lyme vaccine. No one has mentioned side effects, so I have no idea (I refuse to do the lyme vaccine on my dogs). But her symptoms sound very typical of lyme, it seems like a round of doxy is in order, better safe than sorry.

I'm sorry Erin is having problems. Poor girl.