Safe Chew Toys Or Bones?

Guest driser

Guest driser

Our boy "stole" a toilet paper roll that was on the floor an immediately laid down with it between his front paws and started chewing on it. Of course I took it away so he didn't ingest a tube of cardboard, but it got me wondering about chew toys or bones. I've read that there are really no safe options since large pieces can be swallowed, teeth fractured, or splinters ingested. What are your thoughts on chew toys or bones for Greyhounds??

Guest greyhound9797

There are LOTS of options! You just need to be careful about what you buy and give it some thought before purchasing.

As far as real bones, there aren't any that I would recommend. Small ones are choking hazards or will just be crunched once and swallowed and the large ones, like knuckle bones, are too dense and can cause tooth fractures. If you're looking for a natural chew that comes from an animal I suggest bully sticks (bull penis), deer or elk antlers or cow trachea (moo tubes). There are other threads discussing bully sticks and where to buy them but I get mine from bestbullysticks.com.

Kongs claim to be indestructible but I know power chewers who have ripped them apart. I don't think a grey would be able to do it, as long as you buy an appropriate sized one, so they should be safe. You can buy cans of Kong filling (like Cheese Whiz)or use peanut butter to fill them and also add little pieces of kibble or small treats. Nylabones might be another option but I've never bought them.

Sandra in FL

Welcome to GreyTalk! :)

Thanks for asking this excellent question! Here are my top 3 choices for Greyhounds. All for different reasons.

The safest Nylabone we've found for Greyhounds is the hard "Durachew," Bacon flavor, Souper size.

Bonus: Greyt to help keep the teeth cleaner.

(NOT the flexible gummy Nylabones that can break apart creating a choking hazard.)

Our hounds prefer the fist with arm shape Durachew, which may be safer than others. (No fractures here with our hounds or fosters.)

Without question, BACON is our hounds' favorite flavor. I can smell bacon too.

(Chicken flavor is okay but definitely not as desired by our pack, nor can I smell any chicken scent.)

Durachew by Nylabone, Bacon flavor: http://www.entirelyp...dchwbcnfls.html

I like Tuffie Toys best as a durable, softer "play" toy. I've never had to throw one away. They last for years!

Our Greyhounds' favorite size is the "Ultimate Series" which is #9 (of 10) on the toy's "toughness scale:"

Tuffie's informative link with pictures: http://www.tuffietoy...m/ultimate-ring

(Toughness #10 toys are larger and heavier, maybe better for giant dogs like Mastiffs or extremely mouth-strong dogs.)

We have a #10 Tuffie Toy, but all the #9 "Ultimate" size toys get played with much more frequently on a daily basis.

Tuffie Toy's are also well-priced at Entirely Pets (less descriptive link): http://www.entirelyp...ffyringred.html

I agree re: Kongs being excellent to stuff with peanut butter, and other dog safe goodies (even their kibble) to help keep a Greyhound busy, especially during alone training.

Caution: If you consider Bully Sticks, please very careful. Our top Veterinary Emergency Hospital actually sold them for a limited time, but they were pulled from the shelf due to excessive choking and intestinal blockages.

You may already know this, but please do NOT give Greyhounds tennis balls for two reasons:

1. Tennis balls are easily chewed into pieces and ingested, causing intestinal blockages.

2. Greyhounds' mouths are so large, a tennis ball can get wedged into the throat choking a Greyhound to death.

Have fun with your new hound! Greyhounds are the best ever!

Edited by 3greytjoys

The safest Nylabone we've found for Greyhounds is the hard "Durachew," Bacon flavor, Souper size.

Bonus: Greyt to help keep the teeth cleaner.

This!

june

Guest Coldkrelik

This is the 3rd time I've read that Nylabones are the best, but my mom had bought me two fairly big marrow bones (to give my greyhound :)) and i'm wondering if this was a good idea? They were only 2 bucks and i'd hate to risk it if they were of concern.

Maroow bones are denser than teeth, so you run a real risk of them causing slab fractures to the hound's teeth (which usually require a root canal for the dog). For me, it's not worth the risk. I do give raw turkey necks and chicken leg quarters -- they are softer bones and quite digestible. My hounds also get bully sticks (the thick angus ones from bestbullysticks mentioned above), dried tripe sticks (same source) and occasionally dehydrated duck feet.

Guest manawatugal

Brisket bones are good and fairly soft. Chicken frames/backs. Rib bones. Lamb bones can be a a bit sharp so I stay away from those.

My dog is raw fed though and he's not a gulper and does take his time chewing things - thankfully.

Dog's natural instinct is to chew, plus it cleans their teeth unlike kibble.

Guest sja5032

Deer/elk antlers are great, no smell or mess and they last forever (I buy the larger ones), they are also great at cleaning teeth. I order from elkusa.com not sure if its the cheapest but I've never had an issue. They also sell other good chew items as well.

Guest KennelMom

Pigs feet are a favorite treat for our dogs

are these safe for their teeth? I almost bought some today but wasn't sure. Thanks!

we've never had a problem with them. They're mostly cartilage, sking and meat...the bones in the ankle are pretty small and you don't get much of the leg bone when you buy them at the store (usually already halved for you).

Guest KsFrets

We get deer antlers from our hunting friends. They are the best. We also give our poopers (supervised) heavy american made rawhide if we can find it (small local pet store). We don't give them the thin light crap rawhide from the pet store chains. :sick:mum

• 7 years later...

We use Kongs and bully sticks several times a week. I've also been giving large Virbac C.E.T. oral hygiene rawhide chews daily to help with dental health. I'm also a fan of using chews that are digestible as my hound is determined to destroy chews in a single marathon session when I given them.

I'd like to give raw meaty bones, but living in an apartment makes it challenging for clean-up. Perhaps in spring/summer when the weather is better.

marrow bones are great outside. our new pup adores them, buries them and resurrects the treasures when they are ripe! pretty gross....when i sell this house the new owners will be curious as to what kind of satanic rituals have taken place here!

the thick rolls by wholesome hide take the chewer(and buriers) quite some time to devour. they too turn up in the yard when he sneaks them out- GROSS