Issues With Pee

Inu has made multiple trips out to pee yesterday. Some of those time he would stand there and really try to pee but nothing would come out or maybe a drip. Other times he would pee full stream. He made is through the night with no issues. Since he has been peeing in the yard or on walks I haven't noticed any blood in his urine yet.

He's nine. What should I consider besides a UTI? I have him on amoxicillin, which is what my vet uses first for UTIs.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Straining to pee but not able to is a medical emergency. He needs an ultrasound and/or x-ray today if you possibly can. You want to make sure there are no stones, tumors, inflammation that would block the flow.

Did he have a urinalysis before starting on meds? If he's already started on them, diagnosing a UTI may be difficult.

Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

See that's what I wonder since he is still peeing well some of the time and he had a restful night. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest d0ggiem0mma

As long as he is still able to void urine, so his bladder is not getting too full, don't rush to the ER vet or anything. Irritation in the bladder makes it feel like the bladder is full all the time so straining in between normal urinations can be expected.

It sounds like a UTI to me. You should never, ever, ever start your pup on antibiotics before the vet does the testing. Now that he's on the meds the urinalysis won't be as accurate and they won't be able to do a urine culture at all. I would still do the urinalysis as it will give you some clues. If it comes back 100% normal, then an ultrasound looking for stones would be a good idea.

Edited by d0ggiem0mma

Kasey is an odd cat in regards to peeing. It has to be a perfect spot, the wind has to blow in the right direction, the stars have to be aligned and he sometimes tries multiple times before it's right, but eventually he always goes. When we know he has to and he doesn't, we stay out with him longer, or go back in and try again a few minutes later. He has a bladder like a tanker though. But my boy has always been like that. If it's new to your boy I'd say keep monitoring it.

We have noticed Ryder pees sometimes in 3 streams, sometimes 1 solid and I thought maybe it was a UTI and the vet said UTI's are difficult for boys to get, more likely it's dirt or something. We cleaned his winky with a washcloth soaked with salt water and that seemed to do the trick. That's just my 2 cents.....

Hope he pees like normal soon!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest LindsaySF

I had a cat with crystals in his urine, his urethra became blocked, and he had to have surgery. If your dog gets blocked, that's an emergency. I would bring him in sooner rather than later. The vet can palpate the bladder and tell if it's full. If it is, he might be blocked, and I would do an x-ray to look for stones. If his bladder is not full, and/or the vet is able to express the urine, then chances are it's a UTI. I would have him looked at to make sure.