Riley Bit Another Dog

Most of my GH's have always hated it when another dog puts a paw on them, and they have never been bashful about letting the other dog know.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

I was going to say whay Pat said...if this lurcher is unaltered then these people are basically asking for that type of behavior and I would not feel obligated to offer up anything on the vet bills. Odd they recognize it as a consistent behavior but have not done the obvious thing to impact it....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Altering may or may not change a dog's behavior. I've encountered many altered dogs who are serial humpers. Mounting can start in dogs who are already altered. Have also been around many unaltered males who behave very well & do not display a tendency to mount other dogs. Of the dogs I've known who were prone to mounting more than a few are females, some spayed or intact. None of us can say why the lurcher was doing this. Could be sexual frustration but could also be for some other reason.

In the end the result is the same. The lurcher's owners were aware of this & were not attempting to do anything about it.

Edited by kudzu

Guest KennelMom

Your dog did what I'd expect a dog to do when another dog is incredibly rude like that. Snipping off the end of the ear probably wasn't intentional, the ear was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sounds like the other dog owner knows her dog has behavior issues and let her dog create this situation again....IMO, she's to blame...legally I have no idea who'd be at fault since the law is usually short sighted when it comes to dog bites and tends to blame the biter regardless of provocation.

As for signs...there may have been some but if the other dog was pretty quick, then there wouldn't have really been a lot of time for there to be a lot of other signs.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

One thing you said in your last post "I held the leash tight so there would not be another attack". Why would you think they would continue? Dogs get over things very quickly, and as long as the other dog doesnt decide to repeat the rude behavior, there will likely be no further issues. Just saying.

Guest oldNELLIE

Nellie is also very reactive towards other dogs, and for much smaller infractions than mounting! Perhaps it is not the best solution, but I find it easier to just keep her away from other dogs, she is sooo unpredictable with her aggression. I look for cues, but like you said, it happens so fast. Some times a sniff will set her off, or a jump, or a bump, or a play-bow... Unless the other dog owner is aware and also paying attention to the interaction I find it easier to just keep them apart. I am not so worried about Nellie actually biting another dog (although now I see it doesn't have to be intentional), but I am worried that another dog that I don't know might react back and a fight could start.

We were standing right next to each other. Both dogs were on 6-foot leashes, which were slack once initial introductions were done. I think we let our guard down too quickly.

You didn't do anything wrong. Why is the lurcher unaltered??????????????????? :unsure

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.