How Do You Dry Yams For Treats ?

I keep hearing about dried yams as treats and also read that someone here was making their own. How do you do it? Do you cook them first? Bake them ? Boil them? season them at all? Do you dry them until they are pliable or crunchy ? Do you do other veggies too ?

Karen

I used sweet potatoes, but I'm sure yams would be the same. I sliced them up and put them in the oven at 150 degrees for a few hours. I took them out when they were pliable because I'm a little impatient :blush . I seasoned them with some cinnamon occasionally because I shared them with Bu otherwise I left them plain.

I tried baking them, and timo didn't like them. He liked the ones from the treat bag but not the homemade ones. I must have nit cooked them correctly.

I bought a dehydrator on Craigslist. I confess, I don't know the difference between sweet potatoes and yams, whichever one I use...I cut up thin and place them on the trays of the dehydrator, turn it on and let it run for 6 - 8 hours and that's it! Carl and Claire love them. I can't give Carl the "chewy" kind you buy in pet stores, they were gut-bombs for him, poor boy. The dried ones are perfect and they think they are super treats.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest FullMetalFrank

I slice them about 3/16" thick; then gently parboil them for a few minutes in water seasoned with dehydrated garlic slices. You don't want to completely cook them; just enough to soften them a little so they get slightly "bendy". Pat them dry then put on the dehydrator trays until nice and dry (ours take about 12 hours or so.) A very popular treat here. I also buy the big ten pound box of sweet poataoes at Costce and bake them whole in the oven until tender then package them up in quart freezer containers. They love a tablespoon or two with their food.