Is This Bloat?

This morning, when I let Bernie outside, he started eating a bunch of grass. Then, I saw an unsuccessful attempt to vomit. This was all BEFORE a meal. (I know bloat usually strikes after eating.) I did give him breakfast later - I gave him a smaller amount than usual, and I stuck a ball in his bowl for slow feeding.

I know the unsuccessful attempts to vomit can be bloat. I see no other symptoms with Bernie that are typical symptoms of bloat. ???

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Stretching. Trying to lay down but keep getting up. Obvious discomfort.

I think/hope that maybe Bernie had just a slight tummy upset. Perhaps a bit of bile in his tummy since it had been many hours since his last meal.

Is he able to look rested/comfortable when he lays down now?

about bloat linky

more info

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I don't think you have to worry- Topper does this on a regular basis, as did my dog before him. I think they wake up with an empty stomache, and it just bothers them, so they think having a grass appetizer might help.

tcmud1.jpg
Jen and Topper. Missing Cole
(Kiowa True Topsy)(Cry Kohlton)

I am not a vet, but I very muvh doubt that Bernie would have eaten if he was bloating. He would be in a lot of distress, unable to lay down, pacing, possibly arching his back, and trying to vomit or defecate constantly. The symptoms would get worse. It was probably a stomach upset. Merlin always eats grass when he's having a flare-up. Does he seem okay now? Is his stomach making loud gurgly noises? If not, he is probably fine. I would just keep an eye on his grass-eating, it can be indicative of an upset tummy or GI issue, although in Merlin's case he will *always* refuse food, and it doesn't seem from your post that Bernie had any issues with that :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Stretching. Trying to lay down but keep getting up. Obvious discomfort.

I think/hope that maybe Bernie had just a slight tummy upset. Perhaps a bit of bile in his tummy since it had been many hours since his last meal.

Is he able to look rested/comfortable when he lays down now?

about bloat linky

His last meal was at 6pm last night. Then, the unsuccessful vomiting happened at 7am this morning, and then a small breakfast at 7:30.

I know that he was comfortable lying down around 5am - he woke me up with little barks. I thought, why is he barking at 5am? When I looked down at the floor, he was sleeping and dreaming!

I have not seen him stretch at all. He seems to be like his normal self when laying down on his bed.

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Bernie just burped! That's a good indication of the stomach being normal, correct?

Justin is now awake for the day, and I've talked to him about it. He is not concerned about bloat right now - he said that with the dogs he owned in the past, they always tried to vomit after eating grass. (I am a first-time dog owner, he is not! :colgate )

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

He also just pooped. Combined with the burp, I now have indications that his digestive tract appears to be normal.

Thank you, everyone! Greytalk is wonderful. :colgate

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Good to hear Bernie is fine. Based on your description, it sounds like something my pups do sometimes some mornings. Nothing to worry about.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest simile

I've had this happen, too, and it was the result of an empty stomach. Now all the pups get a bedtime treat - just a couple biscuits or a piece of cheese - and no more morning retch :).