Greyhound Energy

Guest JJGrey

Guest JJGrey

I'm hoping I'm not the only one out there...my boy is 4 but it seems no matter what I do enough is not enough! I do work full time but I have a dog walker once a week and he goes to daycare once a week also but no matter what I do he always wants more playtime/ attention! I do the best I can and have spent a lot on toys to peak interest but it seems I'm always lacking in the fun department. When I can we always go on several long walks a day but still he demands more. I love my boy but also need some me time.

Sounds like he's got you trained pretty well, all in all. ;)

He might *want* to go on more walks, and have more play time, and get attention all the time, but he really doesn't *need* it. Make sure he gets adequate exercise - a long walk or good play session once a day, or twice if you have time. You don't say whether you have a yard or not, and that will make a difference. If he's being walked for potties, he will need some extra for exercise too. If you have a yard, look into getting a "lure pole." Greyhounds will tire themselves out pretty quickly with one of those.

Once you know his physical needs are taken care of, when he starts pestering you, tell him no and to go lay down. Treat him when he does. If he won't leave you alone, gently lead him to his bed and leave him there. IGNORE HIM. Make sure he can see you, or is in the same room with you - closer to you will be better at first and then gradually move the bed away. Repeat, repeat, repeat. It may take several days for this new training to take hold as he's gotten his way pretty much up until now.

Reward the behavior you want to reinforce. Do not reward behavior you want to discourage. Be patient and consistent. Don't give in to the "sad eyes" or the whiny whines! No dog does guilt like a greyhound.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Timo

Wow, my boy is only 3, and all he wants to do is sleep. Totally opposite energy compared to yours. He gets a spurt of energy in the afternoon that lasts about two minutes where he runs around like a crazy dog, and then he's down for the rest of the night. He doesn't even like long walks. He starts to lag behind after .3 of a mile.

I think it's just that your doggy loves you and wants to be by your side all the time. Good luck with the training.

sounds like some obedience work will do wonders for him. it's a challenge and he will really focus and be exhausted mentally. that will also poop him out physically. the practice inbetween lessons also will tire him out. give it a try if you can find either a club or a good trainer. check out neversaynever greyhound blog and web site, her dogs are a real inspriation.

after training and working really hard and having fun my dogs are always pooped out the next day. they come home, chow down and collapse. nothing like a tired pupper!

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest JJGrey

Sounds like he's got you trained pretty well, all in all. ;)

Seriously, do you have a hidden camera in my house or perhaps you've met my dog? ;)

thanks for the great advice!

Exactly what Greysmom said. Who is running the home? Needs to be you! Sounds like you're providing for all his needs; and believe me, my dog is the EXACT same way (and he's nearly 9).

He reminds me more of my cats--everything is all about them all the time. He has no interest in my needs/wants/like/dislikes (which is very different from the dogs I've spent my life with prior to him!). It is ALL about him.

So I do the best I can; during the week we walk 2 miles every morning before I go to work. On weekends I normally walk him on a totally different route and then I give him a marrow bone (which he loves!). We have a routine (dogs love routine) and I try my best not to let him dictate changes to that routine--although I don't think he'll ever stop trying!

This is where the "go lie down" command comes in very handy! Although I admit, George gets the "go" part, and will do the "lie down" part, but as soon as I turn my back he normally jumps back up...he's prove HIGHLY resistant to training!

Mind you, I give him some leeway on that since he did spend 5 years as a working dog who had a TOTALLY different routine and his only obligation was to run really fast, not fight, and get into the right kennel.

I have learned to love him for who and what he is--stubborn, self centered, but sweet and funny too.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Mojo is like that also, but he's getting much better. He's 6 and raced until he was 5, and is pretty full of himself also. I tell people he's a lab in a greyhound suit. I got him a backpack to help poop him out and I take him out jogging when it's not too hot. The heat has helped a lot with his energy level, so we'll see how he is when it cools off. Interesting, isn't it, how different some of these hounds can be?

sounds like some obedience work will do wonders for him. it's a challenge and he will really focus and be exhausted mentally. that will also poop him out physically. the practice inbetween lessons also will tire him out. give it a try if you can find either a club or a good trainer. check out neversaynever greyhound blog and web site, her dogs are a real inspriation.

after training and working really hard and having fun my dogs are always pooped out the next day. they come home, chow down and collapse. nothing like a tired pupper!

This! Mental stimulation will really wear them out. It also helps to develop a healthy relationship between you and your boy.

june