Ziggy's Cage Boo Boos Are Not Healing...

Guest lala22

Guest lala22

i'm getting my hubby to take him to the vet today. He opened them up on the trip home and ripped of the skin clue. He's been keeping them clean and licking them. We've been treating with neosporin and wrapping them up, keeping his muzzle on, but they are not healing. IF we take off the bandage, he'll lick them. They don't look infected, but there are 3, and one is about an inch long, by 1/2 inch. And they look open and fresh.

We couldn't find the muzzle insert to use someone posted here about.

Also, last night i noticed him licking one of his back feet a ton...it started looking bad.

I'll keep you posted, not sure what to do.

You can order a muzzle stool guard here (scroll to bottom): http://gemgreyhounds.org/gem_store/muzzles.htm They are fast and great!

In the mean time, duct tape over the end of the muzzle will work. Otherwise he can get his tongue through the holes.

The wounds WILL NOT heal if he keeps licking them; he constantly licks off any scab or granulation tissue that might start to form. He isn't "keeping them clean," he's fussing with them. Whether you use the muzzle or some kind of collar, he MUST be stopped from licking. And you must use whatever you use ALL the time, 24/7, except when he's eating or on leash or immediately under your supervision, no matter how pitiful he looks. I've learned all this the hard way!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Sending good wishes to Ziggy!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Do NOT let him lick his wounds. This is the result - they do not heal!

If you can't be with him, use the muzzle with a stool guard or duct tape. If he can still rub the muzzle you need to get an E Collar or a Bite-Not collar so he CAN NOTget to them.

The wounds need to be kept clean and dry or you will be dealing with this for months. If they're not healing by now, he may need to be on oral antibiotics to keep them from becoming infected.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest sheila

If it was me I would not use ointment or wrap because that is just going to keep the wounds moist and deter healing. If you can't find a stool guard just duct tape the outside of the muzzle.

Guest june

Also, there are some spray antiseptics (I use Allercain which also helps control the itching) out there that do not sting and have a nasty taste that will discourage some dogs from licking. Some dogs will lick anyway, but worth a try.

june

Guest Shermanator

Also, there are some spray antiseptics (I use Allercain which also helps control the itching) out there that do not sting and have a nasty taste that will discourage some dogs from licking. Some dogs will lick anyway, but worth a try.

june

I've actually used bitter yuck spray over a boo boo. Both my bridge boys Sherman and Patton had a foot injury. They destroyed the house trying to get their muzzles off, and kept slipping from a no bite collqr, pulled off socks Jeven secured with vet wrap,) and chewed off bandages. They were relentless. Finally in desperation, I tried the spray, and hurrah it worked! They stopped licking!

june

I've actually used bitter yuck spray over a boo boo. Both my bridge boys Sherman and Patton had a foot injury. They destroyed the house trying to get their muzzles off, and kept slipping from a no bite collqr, pulled off socks Jeven secured with vet wrap,) and chewed off bandages. They were relentless. Finally in desperation, I tried the spray, and hurrah it worked! They stopped licking!

Beth licked her foot about five minutes after I sprayed that stuff on ... meanwhile I was tasting it for days!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad