Corn Question

Eden has been limping and I just noticed there is a lump on the bottom of her paw. I googled what corns look like but her's looks fairly small compared to the pictures I saw. It's almost more of a wart and not even quite as big as a pencil eraser. Can they be that small and still hurt? And do they get bigger if untreated?

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Guest iconsmum

you should post a picture, but yes, they can be quite small and still provide a lot of pain - you're maybe just seeing the tip of the iceberg

Guest MnMDogs

you should post a picture, but yes, they can be quite small and still provide a lot of pain - you're maybe just seeing the tip of the iceberg

Yep. Mork's larger corns seem to be less painful than the smaller a lot of the time.

My vet just started using thyroid meds for corns

What's the reasoning behind this? And is the use of thyroid meds based on bloodwork indicating hypothyroidism? I have a patient who has corns on 3 feet who is also on thyroid supplement based on a diagnosis from a previous vet. He still needs his corns hulled every 6-8 weeks, and I don't see the thyroid meds making any difference.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

So I just called my vet and they will not tough it. She also said it's so rare that they don't believe that's what it is. I told them it's common in greyhounds but they said unless it was medically necessary they wouldn't touch it. So now what... do I go to another vet and start over and have everything transfered? I've had the same vet for 5 years now so I wouldn't even know how to go about this.

I did read some things online about home remedies that could draw the corn out... has anyone tried that?

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Sounds like you need to find a new vet-- I don't like a vet that slams the door shut on a client without truly doing some extra research on their part. My goodness a quick google search would tell them how common corns are to greyhounds- gezz. So, according to your vet your hound should just live with the daily pain?? Move on.

Edited to add this question-- what DO they find medically necessary?

Edited by tbhounds

So, according to your vet your hound should just live with the daily pain?? Move on.

Edited to add this question-- what DO they find medically necessary?

That's what it sounds like. I wondered what they considered medically necessary, also but the receptionist was just the middle man in the conversation.

From what I read it's quite painful for them to continue to walk on. I printed some literature on the process of hulling and was going to send it over but I'm torn; obviously they've never done it before and I'm a little irritated they have made their decision already. And I specifically asked about hulling since at this point a full on surgery isn't necessary at all.

So I just called my vet and they will not tough it. She also said it's so rare that they don't believe that's what it is. I told them it's common in greyhounds but they said unless it was medically necessary they wouldn't touch it. So now what... do I go to another vet and start over and have everything transfered? I've had the same vet for 5 years now so I wouldn't even know how to go about this.

I did read some things online about home remedies that could draw the corn out... has anyone tried that?

Not medically necessary? Corns are very common and very painful to the greyhound. I assume pressing on it and/or squeezing the pad elicits pain. Is it worse if she is on hard surface versus grass? These things point to a corn or pad injury instead of a different cause of the limping. You might try printing out the following articles and taking them to your vet along with your grey. Show her the specific area in question. If she says it isn't a corn but doesn't give any other opinion as to what it is, you definitely need to find a new vet. If she agrees that it is a corn and won't learn how to hull it, you need to find a new vet.

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corns.htm

https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/faq/#corns

I would also give any vet treating my greyhound Dr. Feeman's paper on Greyhound idiosycrasies. If the vet isn't willing to learn about greyhound specific issues, I would find a different vet.

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com/files/vet/21/e369c6e9.pdf

My Joey is a tripod and has corns. Thankfully I live close to OSU so when I take him in for his cancer checkup they hull his corns for me. It is done without any sedation and Joey really appreciates it. By the way, he has had corns that appear to be the size of a pin head cause him considerable pain.

Jane

Guest LindsaySF

Find a new vet.

Some people have had success with the "duct tape" method. Also "Murray Avenue Apothecary" makes a corn cream. If you do a search on the forum the topics should come up.

Eden walking around with a corn is like you walking around with a rock in your shoe...yes, it hurts. Hitchie is the only one of mine who suffers from one nasty little, persistent corn on his crooked foot....luckily, I have a "connection" that hulls it when necessary. It's really not a big deal and I can't understand why you vet won't touch it...it's a fairly common greyhound thing. I haven't tried the duct tape method but some people have had some luck with it. I've read about the Murray Avenue Apothecary but haven't seen any results posted here. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the past two times I was ready to take him over for a hulling, the corn fell out on it's own. The only change with him has been the addition of Cosequin??? I'll see what happens this time.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest BlueCrab

Find a new vet.

Some people have had success with the "duct tape" method. Also "Murray Avenue Apothecary" makes a corn cream. If you do a search on the forum the topics should come up.

I'm one of those who's had great luck with duct tape. Others have been mixed, but it's a cheap remedy so I would encourage trying it before resorting to something really expensive. I did try x-rays, hulling, soaking, and Kerasolv cream first, and was at the point where the vet wanted to operate when I finally tried it. And my vet - who I am fond of - had no experience with corns and had never seen them before either (heavy sigh....). ;)

It's gotten to the point with Trixie where, when she starts to limp I look for the corn. She gets two is regular locations, so if it's there, I apply duct tape and usually within two days remove the tape and the corn comes right out with it. I believe it's something that must "build up" with regular use, as her earlier corns required longer bouts with duct tape and now I only have to spend about two days with the tape for it to work. But the corns will come back so resign yourself to a life of duty. When we first found Trixie limping I had the standard panic moment, so I'll gladly live with corns versus other - ahem - "things" that it could have been. We also use TheraPaws boots for long walks on hard surfaces.

With the tape, apply a small piece (about 1 cm square) to the corn. I keep a 1" piece on the fridge door and cut small pieces off with a pair of small scissors. Pull tape off foot after a couple days when it starts to get raggedy and reapply a fresh piece. You might think the pulling would hurt but I've never heard a complaint. Nor has she tried to chew it off, which was my initial concern. Anyway, the first few corns we encountered took perhaps two weeks of regular duct tape application to get the corn to finally come off. It starts to loosen after time and gets to the point where you can work it out with your fingernails or it might even come right off on the tape as ours do now.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Judynyc

HI,

I've just been through this with my grey, Leyla. She was limping for several months and pain meds did nothing, nor did xrays show anything. I finally got fed up and insisted my vet refer me to an orthopedist as my vet had no idea what the limp was.

The mninute the orthopedist saw my dog, he knew right away that it was a corn. Thank God he knew...and fixed it for my girl. He had just done the surgery on another grey that was there before me so he sees corns a lot. Her stitches come out next week and she's already no longer limping. Thera-paws boots are on the way!

You need to get to a new vet or find an orthopedist in your area. Good Luck!! B)

Edited by Judynyc

Larry has had corns for years and I use a dremel on them. I also use "bag balm" to moisten his pads and that helps soften them up. I would suggest that you use the "bag balm" for a few weeks (twice a day or so) and see if that helps. Just rub the ointment into all his paws - try and do at when he will be lying down for awhile.

Good luck

Guest kdbeaar

HI,

I've just been through this with my grey, Leyla. She was limping for several months and pain meds did nothing, nor did xrays show anything. I finally got fed up and insisted my vet refer me to an orthopedist as my vet had no idea what the limp was.

The mninute the orthopedist saw my dog, he knew right away that it was a corn. Thank God he knew...and fixed it for my girl. He had just done the surgery on another grey that was there before me so he sees corns a lot. Her stitches come out next week and she's already no longer limping. Thera-paws boots are on the way!

You need to get to a new vet or find an orthopedist in your area. Good Luck!! B)

Are these stitches for corn removal? That seems extreme...especially considering that corns inevitably reappear. You can't go for surgery every time!

Poor Trooper suffered from corns constantly. The two middle pads of each foot got them time after time. I took him to a vet who culled them, using no anesthesia (none needed) and a small tool that looked like a miniature melon-baller. But after a time I could get my fingernail under them myself and work it out. We spent many a night doing that! Removing a corn leaves a shallow hole in the pad but it doesn't bleed.

We used TheraPaws whenever we walked, they helped a lot. I always wanted to try the duct tape method but never did. From what I've read, it's at least as helpful as anything else, so worth a try. No creams, including Kerasol and Compound W, ever did any good.

If your vet won't even research the corn issue, I would definitely recommend another vet.

Oh, and don't know if this is viable for you or not, but one year at BeachBound Hounds I noticed that after Trooper walked on the beach, the sand must have had some effect, because three corns on his toes that night practically popped out with just a little help from me--so if you're near sand, you might try walking your dog there. I've never seen this mentioned anywhere, but from personal experience, it worked for him.

Good luck, these are horrible, lifelong plagues for our poor dogs!

Guest Judynyc

HI,

Are these stitches for corn removal? That seems extreme...especially considering that corns inevitably reappear. You can't go for surgery every time!

Poor Trooper suffered from corns constantly. The two middle pads of each foot got them time after time. I took him to a vet who culled them, using no anesthesia (none needed) and a small tool that looked like a miniature melon-baller. But after a time I could get my fingernail under them myself and work it out. We spent many a night doing that! Removing a corn leaves a shallow hole in the pad but it doesn't bleed.

We used TheraPaws whenever we walked, they helped a lot. I always wanted to try the duct tape method but never did. From what I've read, it's at least as helpful as anything else, so worth a try. No creams, including Kerasol and Compound W, ever did any good.

If your vet won't even research the corn issue, I would definitely recommend another vet.

Oh, and don't know if this is viable for you or not, but one year at BeachBound Hounds I noticed that after Trooper walked on the beach, the sand must have had some effect, because three corns on his toes that night practically popped out with just a little help from me--so if you're near sand, you might try walking your dog there. I've never seen this mentioned anywhere, but from personal experience, it worked for him.

Good luck, these are horrible, lifelong plagues for our poor dogs!

Thanks for the info!

Yes, the stiches were for corn removal. Now that I know better, if it comes back, I'll be trying all these other methods before cutting her pad again. poor baby!:(

But even with the stiches and bandages still on, she is happy and moving so much better that I'm relieved she is feeling better.

Guest KansasGrey

A strange remedy my mailman told me about today for corns. He is from a farm background and is always coming up with home remedies from long ago. He said to grate a raw potato or pulverized in a food processor, add black pepper and cayenne pepper and apply to the corn. Worth a try I guess. If it works I'll report back.

• 2 months later...
Guest 3dognight

Eden walking around with a corn is like you walking around with a rock in your shoe...yes, it hurts. Hitchie is the only one of mine who suffers from one nasty little, persistent corn on his crooked foot....luckily, I have a "connection" that hulls it when necessary. It's really not a big deal and I can't understand why you vet won't touch it...it's a fairly common greyhound thing. I haven't tried the duct tape method but some people have had some luck with it. I've read about the Murray Avenue Apothecary but haven't seen any results posted here. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the past two times I was ready to take him over for a hulling, the corn fell out on it's own. The only change with him has been the addition of Cosequin??? I'll see what happens this time.

I have used the compound from the Murray Avenue Apothecary and it has worked well. We are down from 4 to 2 corns. It really pushes them out so it is easier for hulling.

Also, keeping the feet moisturized is very helpfull. I take some vaseline, coat his paws up and use small baggies to cover them. You can't use the baggies with the zip closing. If you use sandwich bags you can take the top part of the bag,above the paw, twist it shut and make a knot.

My boy is so easy, he keeps them on all night.