Poison Ivy?

Guest grey_dreams

Guest grey_dreams

I've read that dogs and cats don't usually have problems with poison ivy or poison oak/sumac because their fur protects them. Some dogs and cats though do have alergic reactions to the urushiol oil that causes the rash. My question is: because greyhounds and other sighthounds have such thin/sparse hair especially on their bellies, would they be much more susceptible to getting direct contact of the urushiol on their skin, and so be more likely to have an allergic reaction and rash? And if they shove their snout into a clump to smell something, wouldn't they get it on their eyelids or in their eyes? Has anyone had any experiences where their hound came into direct contact with poison ivy, and did they develop a rash or not? Any experiences you could share would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Lol i swear that was just a patch of poison ivy that Rainy just walked and sniffed through 3 minutes ago. Never heard of dog having a reaction, but I have heard of people getting it after petting the dog.

------

Jessica

Guest Plygreygirl

Same here! I actually do believe that my dog gave me a case. We happen to be walking down a street where they had just brush cut. It took me a few minutes for it to register. And yes I broke out day or two later!!! I have gotten this rotten itchy rash for like twenty years straight. For the last couple of years I think all my exposure to the stuff I have developed a resistance to it. But then again I am not going to test my theory

So no I do not know of any dog getting the poison ivy rash.

never heard of a dog or cat getting poison ivy, oak or sumac. i did have the worst case in the world when velcro, my scottie transfered the oils to my legs, arms, neck and face after playing in a reciently mowed yard...in the bushes...in the cut posion ivy. i was on steroids for 2 weeks and had what looked like 2nd degree burns at the contact points.i now deligiently spray for posion ivy/oak since i really react.

I'm with everyone else, never had a dog or heard of a dog who reacted to it. But I've heard of people who contracted it by petting the dog and picking up the oil. I suppose they could leave the oil on your couch and stuff, too.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

George is constantly walking in, sticking his head in poison ivy. It's EVERYWHERE on our walks. Doesn't bother him a bit, and I spend most of the summer with poison ivy on my hands!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

George is constantly walking in, sticking his head in poison ivy. It's EVERYWHERE on our walks. Doesn't bother him a bit, and I spend most of the summer with poison ivy on my hands!

LUCKY YOU! i have to wash w/ laundry detergent after gardening, and i even wear gloves. if i don't wash my entire arms and legs or what ever is exposed....posion ivy. i've caught it numerous times from the dogs.