Pancreatitis

Guest Figmama

Guest Figmama

This is not Grey related, in particular, but am curious if anyone has had a dog with chronic pancreatitis. My daughter has a little Chi/mix that has this chronic problem (so they think without doing more extensive and expensive testing). Poor dog only survives on ID food, which she does okay on. My poor daughter has had 3 *expensive* Vet visits due to this dog having flare ups.

I am wondering if there is another diet that anyone follows or knows of that would be safe to feed besides the ID food.

thanks

Guest dobiegrey

Yep, Hi, my Jack (doberman) has chronic pancreatitis, he has done great on Royal Canin Digestive LF, it is made for dogs with chronic pancreatitis as well as some other digestive issues, it is prescription so you have to get it from you vet or have your vet get it if they don't carry it, you can buy online with a script if no one in your area carries it. Jack loves it and it comes in wet and dry it is a bit pricey but it shouldn't be too bad for a little chi mix. Jack has had to cut back on it and now has it as well as fresh chicken and Grammy's Pot Pie from Merrick's and that is because he has developed diabetes from the chronic pancreatitis so we are trying to balance fats and carbohydrates!! He is doing great now that we have them a bit balanced and is on insulin and as long as she is very very careful about ANY fats her baby gets, not even a little bit of real fatty stuff is ok, than the flare up will hopefully subside. There are some great articles online about pancreatitis. Look at everything even snacks that are given and make sure there is nothing with more than 7% (high end) fat, the lower the better.

Lou

Guest CDNgreys

I lost a dear pet to pancreatitis before we realized what it was. The fat content of food causes a nasty reaction.

Good luck to you, I wish I had known what my pet had before he was taken from me far too soon.

Guest Figmama

thanks so much for the responses. My poor daughter would love to be able to give her dog something besides the ID!! I feel so bad when she visits here as I take over feeding the dogs and feel bad her little Corley only gets the ID and no treats either except maybe small pieces of carrots.

I'll pass on the information but I bet she will be afraid to try anything else being afraid the dog will get sick again. That always ends up being $800+, even with her doing Sub Q fluids at home.

I'll do some checking on these other foods. I assume if your dogs are doing okay, it must be okay.

My fox terrier had been on a kidney diet since he was 9 months old with very limited treats- either prescription from the vet or Pupcorn. Once I got my first greyhound, who actually drops mouthfull of his Blue Buffalo and Newman's Own Organic for the fox terrier to eat he developed pancreatitis.

We switched him to the Science W/D dry diet and he does eat some of the dog's Mother Nature dog treats. He still gets some of the greyhound's food as well but he seems to be doing well. Haven't had to take him back for any more treatment of the pancreatitis and his last blood test was pretty good.

My fox terrier had been on a kidney diet since he was 9 months old with very limited treats- either prescription from the vet or Pupcorn. Once I got my first greyhound, who actually drops mouthfull of his Blue Buffalo and Newman's Own Organic for the fox terrier to eat he developed pancreatitis.

We switched him to the Science W/D dry diet and he does eat some of the dog's Mother Nature dog treats. He still gets some of the greyhound's food as well but he seems to be doing well. Haven't had to take him back for any more treatment of the pancreatitis and his last blood test was pretty good.

When my dog was diagnosed with kidney disease I was looking for a treat to give him that the vet would approve. I actually talked to one of the people who developed the treat called Pupcorn, made by Sunshine Treats (available at Petsmart and Walmart and on-line) and they said there is very little in the treat and that dogs with restricted diets should be able to eat this without any problems. The company even sent my vet an large information packet along with a case of their products. At that time they were getting ready to send a case of Pupcorn and the information to every vet in the US to spread the word about their treats. My fox terrier love it and it has never caused any problems with all the medical issues he has.

I can only tell you what has worked for Teddy, my 11 1/2 greyhound. Teddy has had 3 bad bouts of pancreatitis.

After starting Teddy on Fresh Pet Select he has not been sick again. He has been on it for about a year.

FPS is sold in a cooler in the pet food aisle of larger grocery stores. It is not cheap but for a little bitty dog it shouldn't be too bad.

I can certainly understand anyone who has a dog with pancreatitis being afraid to try something else. The bouts are awful and can be deadly.

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Figmama

Thanks so much for the information and suggestions. I'll let my daughter know but she just might be afraid to try anything new after a recent huge Vet bill. This has gotten to be one expensive little rescue mutt.

• 3 weeks later...

Sutra ate Solid Gold Wolf King after he recovered from a really bad pancreatitis flare and did well with it. After about 6 months he was able to eat TOTW Pacific Stream without any problems. Someone told me that all fats aren't necessarily bad-it depends on the source of the fat. For example eating greasy pizza vs. eating a good quality steak.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--