Purina Dco

My hound had a horrible reaction to a sulfa drug (SMZ)-- it made for a really cranky liver. Thankfully, with time and Denamarin his liver values normalized--- no more sulfa based drugs for him. Not familiar with the food-- why is it being suggested?

Edited by tbhounds

First four ingredients: Whole grain corn, dried beet pulp**, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal,...

While I understand the need & benefit of fiber, I can't imagine that being healthy. Hard to imagine it being better for her stomach either. However, if she's been a mess for a month & there is some valid reason to feel this product might help it is worth a try. Could you not try just adding fiber to something with more, um, wholesome looking ingredients? I had a dog who got pysllium, generic, unflavored Metamucil powder, added to his food. Had to make sure he got enough water with it. Seem like a possible alternative, maybe? All bran cereal has been known to work wonders. Think it has a goodly amount of sugar. Also, I'd prefer my dog got oat bran instead of wheat. Still, it has been used by some for a while with good results. Just ideas I'm tossing out.

What is the reasoning for a sulfa drug? Meaning is he making an educated guess as to cause or have tests narrowed down the culprit? I honestly am not familiar enough with the various classes of antibiotics to know if my dogs have taken a sulfa drug with the exception of a couple of fosters who were on Albon for coccidia. They seemed to have no problems with it that I am aware of though I suppose some symptoms of their illness could have overlapped with side effects.

Hope things are better quite soon.

The reason for the sulfa drug would be diarrhea and bowel inflammation -- I'm assuming vet is considering sulfasalazine, an older drug that sometimes works for dogs who don't respond to other meds. Some dogs (and people) react badly to sulfa drugs, just as some react badly to one or the next NSAID, antibiotic, supplement, food item .... It isn't a bad drug, and if nothing else is working it's probably worth a try.

Purina DCO contains a high percentage of beet pulp and pea fiber, two of the fibers that tend to work well for dogs with fiber-responsive bowel disease. Again, different fibers work better for different dogs. And some dogs do better on very low fiber diets. FWIW, over the years, most of the dogs I've fed have responded pretty well to beet pulp and pea fiber; fewer have responded to psyllium (metamucil), and most have responded to flaxseed with even worse diarrhea.

Vet is simply looking for something the dog's diarrhea responds to. Once you've found that, you can work on tweaking the med and/or food to suit any other requirements you have. :)

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

In the past for unresolved diarrhea (that included courses of Flagyl) we used Tylan powder, 1/8 tsp. once a day or twice a day if the problem is really, really resistant. Your vet may have it available mixed with something that makes it more palatable (the stuff is nasty). I bought our last supply on Amazon and purchase plain capsules at the local rx supply, fill them, and toss them into the dogs food bowl with a meal. Tylan is marketed for avian dysentary. It has worked reliably for us and we have our vets blessing to use it.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

she has been on tylon powder for the last 4 years which kept everything good. I could swear it was this new bag of food we bought..she has been on the same ood for 2 years..ue salmon with sweet potato. I went out and bought a bag of natures balance sweet potatoe and venison and the last two days she has been great. I really think it was the food. When i saw the first ingrediant was corn in the purina...no way..i think the vet forgot she can't have a lot of grains..It is a new vet too. So for now i will continue the new balance, probiotics and tylon. Thanks all for your input. It always helps me out.

Oh and about the sulfa..he said he was just "trying" he didn't know so thats why I am holding off on that. If she gets real bad diarrhea or blood or something..for sure i will take her back.

I tried the suggestion of metamucil which worked for one day then boom went back . I really think it was a bad bag of food (watch they recall it in a few weeks)

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜