New To Forum-Problems With Adopted Grey

Guest ennyl

Did you mention how old she is? I am not finding it. You say she gets an hour walking each day, but if she is young and you don't have a yard where she can run a bit, she may need more to get her tired. I recently had a 2 year old foster. After a walk of an hour and 15 minutes, my 7 year old greyhound would plop down on his bed and sleep the morning away. My young foster would look at me, bright eyed and eager, as if to say, "What are we going to do now?" She rarely slept much during the day and had energy to burn. And the less tired she was, the more likely that she would get into mischief (like Celeste, she was also a chewer).

I do hope you find what is best for you and for Celeste.

S.jpg

Guest ennyl

Did you mention how old she is? I am not finding it. You say she gets an hour walking each day, but if she is young and you don't have a yard where she can run a bit, she may need more to get her tired. I recently had a 2 year old foster. After a walk of an hour and 15 minutes, my 7 year old greyhound would plop down on his bed and sleep the morning away. My young foster would look at me, bright eyed and eager, as if to say, "What are we going to do now?" She rarely slept much during the day and had energy to burn. And the less tired she was, the more likely that she would get into mischief (like Celeste, she was also a chewer).

I do hope you find what is best for you and for Celeste.

Thank you for your response : ) Celeste is 3 yrs old. I do the best I can as far as exercise. There has been some lousy weather in Michigan for the months of May/June thus far. May we had thunderstorm/heavy rains so often in May, it limited our ability to do long walks-in June so far we have had uncharacteristically hot/humid weather (90+ with extreme humidity) and air quality warnings even! So, of course on those types of days she does not get as long of a walk. Otherwise, the days she does not go to Dog Daycare (where she can play and run all day) she gets a longer walk-45-60 min. I do the best I can with getting her exercise. I don't have a fenced in yard. The chewing issue is one I can deal with...just with extra vigilence on my part. The peeing in the house is my main concern. I do think the issue is tied to her anxiety around people. I have noted the only times she has peed in the house are when we have had company, more noise, more activity. If it were only that she did not get enough exercise, etc. then she would be doing it consistently. She is very spooky around other folks-especially males, kids. She will never approach anyone-even sometimes me. It is odd-the days she does go to the dog daycare and spends time in the company of other dogs, the less "people-oriented" she is. I believe she is just one of those who does better with the company of other dogs to lessen her stress levels. Unfortunately, I cannot have another dog.

She can be around them a little now, if they completely ignore her. When they ignore her, she has even gone so far, sometimes, to creep up behind them and sniff : )

So, it sounds like there is hope that time and patience will help her. It also sounds like you are doing all the right things -- reasonable activity daily, daycare a couple times a week, crate available where she can go to chill out when there is to much activity for her.

I really would get her checked for urinary infection as the dog can seem entirely normal except when under more stress (as when visitors come). If she doesn't have an infection, you might try taking her outside for potty 10-15 minutes after visitors arrive.

Some folks have suggested she might not be the right dog for your household. None of us can really determine that -- up to you as to what level of patience your household has. She does sound like a very nice dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She can be around them a little now, if they completely ignore her. When they ignore her, she has even gone so far, sometimes, to creep up behind them and sniff : )

So, it sounds like there is hope that time and patience will help her. It also sounds like you are doing all the right things -- reasonable activity daily, daycare a couple times a week, crate available where she can go to chill out when there is to much activity for her.

I really would get her checked for urinary infection as the dog can seem entirely normal except when under more stress (as when visitors come). If she doesn't have an infection, you might try taking her outside for potty 10-15 minutes after visitors arrive.

Some folks have suggested she might not be the right dog for your household. None of us can really determine that -- up to you as to what level of patience your household has. She does sound like a very nice dog.

She DOES sound like she can be worked with; but it also sounds like at this period in your life, right now, your household may well not be the place for a dog.

Sounds like you barely have time to breath, never mind work with a dog who has some issues. And all dogs need really consistent routine; you can't do things differently all the time and expect a dog like this to just roll with it. I'm not suggesting you trade her in for a new hound; I'm suggesting that it's POSSIBLE that this is just not the time in your life and that of your family to have a dog at all.

Please don't read this as a criticism or attack; I can tell you're a caring and kind lady. But the dog doesn't sound happy, and believe me I know how stressful the piddling in the house is. I expect this little girl would be a very different dog in a quieter, less busy household.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest HHHounds

My household is not calm - 3 kids ages now 16, 14 and 12 coming and going, friends, games, practices, group projects and my hounds have always loved the stimulation of the busyness. I think that they would be bored if it was just me and my DH. We have TVs blaring, music, video games as part of the natural noise of our house. I never really altered our home for the hounds and they all adjusted pretty quick.

When we had a lot of practices at ball parks, I would take the hounds too and walk them during practice. My hounds love the car rides and the attention from other children.

It does sound like you are under a lot of stress, but I wanted to let you know that hounds can do quite well in a busy household - it may just take a little time!

I hate it when people suggest that maybe you shouldn't have this dog. It's hard to tell somebody's lifestyle from a couple of posts, especially since we are often exasperated by the time we ask for help.

It seems like you're doing everything right. Only you know how things are going, and it seems like you're doing the right things. It's only been a couple of months. I think there aren't a lot of greyhounds who can seamlessly blend into an active household. It takes time and patience. Maybe we can trade; Treasure would love an environment like the one you've described :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Tes623

I hate it when people suggest that maybe you shouldn't have this dog. It's hard to tell somebody's lifestyle from a couple of posts, especially since we are often exasperated by the time we ask for help.

I agree--sounds like you are trying and I'm sure she will do just fine. As much as we want to coddle them, they are dogs and most dogs are pretty adaptable. Especially greyhounds who move frequently and are used to different people/situations between farm life, track life, foster homes etc. :colgate

Guest zombrie

Problems like this can be frustrating. A lot of us have been there, but with time and patience they usually work themselves out.

I think everyone covered it all. Just remember she has entered a brand new WORLD and she just needs a bit of time to figure it all out

Guest ennyl

Just an update. Took her to Vet yesterday, physically she is fine. No UTI's or anything. The Vet suggested an herbal power for her anxiety-Shen Calmer. Said may take a couple of weeks to notice a difference. Also had a behaviorist who does a lot of training classes come and talk a bit about some ideas to help desensitize her to these situations that are causing such anxiety. So, hopefully this will all help. Once again, thank all of you for your responses-ideas, tips, suggestions and encouragement : )

Good news on the urinalysis and glad you are getting some ideas from the behaviorist.

Keep us posted on how she does, OK? And best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hi, They've all given you some really good advice.

When I adopted Peggy, my present Grey, we had a lot of similar behaviour issues and I called in a Behaviourist.

She pointed out that Peggy was frantically sending Calming Signals in the universal dog body language that everyone was ignoring, so it would have been like dropping one of us in the middle of China and not being able to understand anything.

I think it may help quite a bit if you read Turid Rugass's short article in the link.

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1

If you go to Peggy's photo gallery here you can see how things worked out

http://www.pbase.com/johnfr/peggy

Regards. John.