Walking Multiple Dogs

Guest BoyzMom

Guest krohe

My two boys are excellent leash walkers. They have little to no prey drive. We walk 3 or 4 times a day for potty and for exercise. No trauma, no drama. :)

We're going to be temporarily fostering a sweet girlie that just lost her (two-legged) Mom. :(

Consequently, she'll be separated from her greyhound housemates (3 others). She'll be arriving here on Sunday night, go to the vet for her spay on Tuesday, back with me on Wednesday then to her permanent foster home Friday night.

Please give me advice on walking three dogs at once. Or is it better to walk my two boys as usual, then walk her separately?

I'd also appreciate advice on dealing with her grief. Her whole world has just been turned upside down and I want to do what's best for her and for my boys and for me ;)

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

I'd walk all three together -- your boys holding both leashes in one hand and her leash in the other.

For me using one 4 ft. and one 6 ft. works well, or just take the slack up a bit on one leash so they are not shoulder to shoulder. They bump into each other more that way.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I walked my 2 and a foster together before and no problems...when one had to go, they'd just go around the others to the grass, do their business then come back to the sidewalk. Just make sure to have plenty of poop bags! :)

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

That's heartbreaking, but It's so nice of you to take this little orphan in as your foster. After surgery, she'll likely be better off going outside for a short potty break alone.

I walk 3 hounds quite smoothly on my left side. I keep them in a "heel" position by my thigh because I believe it's safer walking, and easier for me. It reduces the possibility of one hound crossing over in front, tripping me. I retain good control in case one hound gets excited about seeing a critter. I hold 2 adjustable leashes in the left hand and 1 leash in right hand. I prefer having males on longer leashes since they bulldoze their way to trees.

If I walk 4 hounds, I have 2 on each side, all in a heel position until we stop for potty time, then it's whatever leash management I can keep straight! :blush

We walk more for exercise, and we only stop for sniffing and potty at certain points (usually away from neighbors' lawns).

I will add that I don't hesitate to divide them up by their medical and energy levels, even if it means taking them out separately.

Guest TheDoggfather

I'd walk all three together -- your boys holding both leashes in one hand and her leash in the other.

This... just walk 'em. No big deal.

Guest mollieandme

I started walking three by walking two first to get a feel for the new guy. After a couple days, we fell into a rhythm and I added number three. I prefer to have my girls in front of me because we walk a narrow road without sidewalks and the drivers are oblivious. The third now walks in heel position on my left. I'm somewhat relaxed about walks but everyone must respond when I holler "over" and we jump into the weeds as another moron races by at three times the limit while talking on a cell phone and changing their pants or grilling a steak in the backseat or conducting the orchestra they have in the truck bed.

A little hyperbole but not much. I'd start with two to see how the new one walks, then add.

Guest KsFrets

I walk up to four at a time twice a day. Sometimes everything goes smooth, sometimes it tries my patience, but that's life. I tie all the leashes together. There's just too much chance of loosing one. Sometimes they get tangled a little but it's no big deal, and no one gets away.

I've always wanted to ask: one of the posters, I think it's Jillysfullhouse, seems to have 11 greys (I counted the food bowls, since I don't think 11 greys fit in one photo ;))--how does THAT work logistically with walking... seems all the leashes would look like a pile of spaghetti pretty fast...

Guest TheDoggfather

I've always wanted to ask: one of the posters, I think it's Jillysfullhouse, seems to have 11 greys (I counted the food bowls, since I don't think 11 greys fit in one photo ;))--how does THAT work logistically with walking... seems all the leashes would look like a pile of spaghetti pretty fast...

She has a HUGE backyard :)

But, to answer your question... when I was a trainer, we used to walk our dogs every morning. Sometimes that meant walking 6+ dogs per person... the dogs are used to it, you just have to focus ahead of you and make sure you're able to divert them in case there's any potential hazards. Like I said earlier, it's really no big deal.

Guest BrianRke

It is difficult for me to walk my 3 at one time. They all want to be doing something different, for example, one peeing, one sniffing, one walking, or one jumping, one stopping, one going the other direction. When they get tangled in the leashes im always afraid one or more of them will get loose while I am trying to straighten them out. It makes for a very unpleasant walk for me.

When I just have 2, I have no problems at all.

I was told the key to walking 3 at a time is to make sure you keep moving at a steady pace.

Guest june

I have and walk three dogs at the same time. I teach them to walk nicely on my left unless it is "sniff and potty" time at which point they can move around as they want. I dog sit and most dogs I care for will walk nicely with my girls without any problems.

Occasionally I'll have a dog that is a bit of a spook and I'll use a coupler to attach that dog to one of my dogs who is very steady. They both have their own leashes in addition to the coupler. I have found this helps the "spook" to feel more secure.

I have walked up to 6 greys at the same time without any problems, but really 4 is a good number.

june

I would have my two on my left where they are trained to walk in their "formation" with their leashes in my left hand and the new dog on my right with his/her leash in my right hand. This is what I have done with fosters but, only after I have taken them out for about 2 or 3 walks by themselves so I can see whether they are responsive on a leash.

Guest greymama002

I walk our 3 without difficulty most of the time. Misti & Rufiie usually walk side by side in front, and Pulsar walks right by my side. I prefer all three leashes on one arm, and I use the other hand to keep the leashes from getting tangled in legs or under someone's tail. The command "Wait" is essential when bending over to pick up poo. "Leave it" also makes things much easier; I can keep moving past road kill, flower beds, etc, just by saying "leave it" and continuing to walk. Good Luck; many thoughts for this sweet girl who lost her family.

Guest SusanP

Until Wizard died last summer, I walked 4 at a time twice a day. I feel more secure holding all of the leashes in my right (dominant) hand so I have maximum control, and wrapping those leashes around my fist. Each leash is a different color, which allows me to adjust as needed if one dog is doing something screwy or needs the leash wrapped tighter so she doesn't get her legs tangled in it. We added new members to our pack twice over the years and walked them all on the same side from day one. Don't forget if anyone is harder to control, you can wrap her/his leash a little closer to you, and you can always use your left hand to help when needed.

Guest RichardUK

At the kennels - the racers are walked in sixes without too much problem as they are used to it - though sometimes a deer will make it a little fraught.

The dogs for adoption are walked in kennel pairs - provided a careful look out is kept deer or rabbits or hares are rarely a problem.

At home I always have three - I needed to adopt two of them at once. I found them marginally easier to handle by splitting the new two up one on either side. So two on one side one on the other. Poop picking up is slightly complicated - Stop for the dog to "go" simply hold all three in one hand - Issue the command "turn round" we all turn clock-wise so we approach the poop from the same side - put plastic bag on other hand - bend to pick the poop. Found this system allowed the poop to be recovered without the dogs wandering in all directions.

A leash coupler is an essential piece of equipment for us and sounds like it would be for you too. I've walked five hounds easily many times but when we walk we're not out to see who can pee more often but instead to get some exercise and an adventure. I always remind the dogs know I am the one in charge and keep them near my side instead of in front of me. Anticipating their reactions is the trick - make sure you see the bunnies before they do :)

Keep the sweet girl occupied and assured that she is loved and all will be well. So sorry for your loss.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest krohe

Change in plans!

We're fostering from the orphaned group, but not the dog we had thought.

At the last minute, their 11 1/2 year old brood mom, Belle (Bull Run) was put in the van. Belle has difficulty with her rear legs (corns, raw spots, and something neurological going on). Consequently, she is not walked with my boys.

Ms. Belle needs everyone's healing thoughts & prayers & white light. Poor dear has been through so much in the past week.

She'll be seeing the vet on Tuesday to see if there is anything we can do to fix her up.

Meet Ms. Belle:

06.09.2011%252520Belle%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

What a beautiful girl. I love the seniors. I currently have 2 and another who will be senior in another year. They are terrific!

Sending prayers and good thoughts for Ms Belle

june

We walk our 5 all at once. No different than 2. We keep the leashes in our left hand and use the right hand as a reign.

Today Rich walked the foster with the 5- 6 in total- no problems.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greymama002

Belle's sweet face !!! I hope the vet is able to help her with her issues. All the best thoughts for her! Thank you for taking her in.

Guest TDotGreys

I envy you GH owners who can walk all your dogs at once. It is honestly one of my most eagerly anticipated bnefits of all-Grey household life. Our dogs require too much focus to walk more than one at a time, so they don't get walked every day. Usually 3 times per week, then Agility class, or Disc, or some nature of trial on the other days. At the GRA picnic yesterday it was refreshing to see so many multiple hound families all walking together (even while their owners browsed booths or chatted).