Neck Pain

Guest tuxie

Guest tuxie

We took Tuxie to the 24 hour vet at 4am this morning b/c he was crying and in pain for almost a full day. Their diagnosis was "neck pain." They gave him a sedative to help him sleep and antinflamitory. They said without an MRI it is a big unknown. It could be a slip disc, tumor, cancer, who knows. Tuxie is 11 and has been in great health. I am at a total loss of what to do, he is still in pain and I just don't know what to do. We are following up with our regular vet on Monday but I am so worried.

Has anyone been given the diagnosis of neck pain?

Molly had the "neck pain" diagnosis about a month ago. My vet gave her a shot (muscle relaxer, I think) and put her on Tramadol and strict rest, no walks. She x-rayed, and said it was a slipped disc. Molly got better, talked me into taking her for a short walk, and relapsed :rolleyes:. So, more Tramadol, three weeks no walkies, and I now use a harness instead of a collar. She is fine.

edited to add, Molly just turned 9 in May

Edited by Remolacha

Yes with my greys it has not been uncommon. And Cash's is quite signifcant. No collars for sure-harness only. Tramadol for pain. REST. Occassional antiinflammatory. Accupuncture really helps. Fresh factors/Joint Health/Fish Oil/Vit E will all probably help too and you will really need to aggressively treat it with these to keep it from flaring up and hurting her in the future probably. Fresh Factors/Joint Health is a necessity at the very least IMO. Traumeel pills, tincture, ointment probably would be good too. She'll probably be OK in a day or so but you need to be diligent to protect her cervical spine from any sort of stress. Keep us posted and hope she gets well soon. I would give her at least 2 or 3 days of complete rest/no activity before I subjected her to the stress of anything else including transport. Cash does well on above protocol despite severe spinal injury. Probably won't be a problem as long as you address it with appropriate care.

Neck pain is not an uncommon event with our retired racers. Some vets will go right for the corticosteroids and others prefer to begin with one of the NSAIDs. Pain mangement is also important-- most will prescribe tramadol but, gabapentin may also be a consideration. At times a muscle relaxer like robaxin may help. You may even see your hound limp on one of the front legs. If you use the medication and srictly rest your hound and don't see any improvement it's time to have your hound re-evaluated and run further diagnostics. I would only use a harness in the future.

Guest tuxie

We had to put our sweet beautiful boy to sleep last night. We found out that Tuxie had bone cancer (osteosarcoma) in his right shoulder and it might of spread to his spine. The last 20 hours seem like a blur, it happened all so fast that I can't wrap my head around what just happened. We took him to the PVSEC vets on Camp Horne Road and they were so wonderful to us and to him. He was so distressed and in so much pain we couldn't let him suffer. He could barely walk and every move seemed to hurt him. Our hearts are just broken right now.

Kelly