Dealing With Hot Weather...

Well, even in chilly Canada the temps do climb up. I've been given the advice of putting cool water on greyhounds tummies and big muscles. Any other advice? How do I know when my greyhound is too hot? I expect panting, but are there other signs that mean something is not right?

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Look for the ears turning reddish and the gums changing colour. can you put a kiddie pool in your backyard?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Look for glossy eyes, disorientation, and bright red gums. She may be slow to respond when you call her name.

Don't put water on them unless they'll be in the shade! The sun will just heat it up and make them cook.

Dazzle overheated one summer. He came inside (after being out for no more than 5 min), completely ignored me, wandered into the bathroom, and wedged himself between the tub and the toilet and wouldn't move. Pretty scary stuff. Your best bet is prevention - if you have any doubts about whether it may be too hot, it probably is! I'm a little paranoid now after that incident and especially now that they're older. Mine don't go on outside trips with me when the weather is sunny and above 70°F.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Summer has a pool and she takes herself into it regularly. And we only go to runs early in the morning now. I keep an eye on her ears for the heat. Luckily, since I love heat, she's not one of the "hot dogs" like others that I know. And a good place for a cold washcloth is tucked up in the groin, where the big arteries are.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

This was a great thread from past years- linky. I find myself re-reading it each year. Being in Maine, we don't get too many hot days (although more than OP), so people tend to be a little less knowledgeable about the dangers of the heat. I'm especially cautious this year with our new black hound. Our fawn doesn't like to be outside a lot, but our black girl would lay in the sun all the time if we would let her.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Everything Rachel said. You have to especially be careful with the black dogs. They really heat up fast. I don't let mine stay outside for more than 10 minutes at a time when it's hot like it has been. We've been in the 90's all this week so I've been watching them very carefully.

Seniors can also have a hard time with the heat. Gee has come in from potty breaks this week and lay directly on the tile floor because it's so cool and she cools off that way. Make sure you always have plenty of water available also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest katethegreyt

We're in Houston and starting our first summer with our new grey. Houston is DISGUSTING in the summer. 90% humidity and 95 degrees for about 3 months straight. I also live downtown, so we have to walk on sidewalks and pavement to go to the bathroom. She started thinking things were a bit too warm as soon as it hit 75. She's like me - she's got about a 4 degree comfort zone, haha.

I use Musher's Secret for her paw pads, which seems to minimize heat on the feet issues if you can't be on the grass. I also try to walk where it's shady. We used this stuff when we first got her too because her pads were getting irritated by the sidewalks.

I ordered her a cool collar from here: http://www.polar-products.com/index.php?p=view_product&product_id=11 It was super reasonably priced, and they threw in a human version too (the human version ties, and I actually like it better for the dog, haha). I like that it doesn't use ice and lasts for the day. You can put your hand under it and feel how cool it is hours after it's been soaked. Plus, you can let it dry for a bit before you use it, and it still works but doesn't drip all over the place. It seems to help our girl quite a bit (panting without it, panting noticeably less with it). Since it was so inexpensive, I figured it was worth a shot, and now I pretty much put it on by default if we are going outside for anything more than a quick spritz.

There are also cool mats out there that are supposed to work pretty well. Some are light enough for travel, but many use water and get quite heavy so are more for at home use.

I always have my favorite pop up bowl for water and also try to ice her inner thighs and "arm pit" places periodically = ) I've also had her put her feet in cold water to help cool her off.

We wet a hand towel and put it in the fridge before walks. When we get back I lay it across Ian and Bella's tummies until the cloth is cool. You can also put it under their arms or put their feet in cool water. If you use the rag, don't let it get warm. I can't remember why, but that's not supposed to be good. Carrying a spray bottle of water to cool them down on walks is good. If yours will let you put bag balm on their feet before walks, that will help protect their pads and keep them from cracking too bad. Hope this helps!

Lisa & Chris with Bella and Little Petey

~Our sweet Ian forever in our hearts~

Guest FullMetalFrank

Now that I know Frank will go in a kiddy pool, I'll get one this summer (he goes in the pools at my work, surprised the heck out of me!) he worries me the most with the heat; the girls seem to handle it better than he does. I don't have central air and sometimes it climbs up to 90 in the house (rarely, but when it does, yuck!) I have a window air conditioner in my bedroom and we all hang out in there if it gets miserable (it's a big room) There have been a few times over the years when I packed everyone in the car and drove to the coast for a couple of days until a heat wave passes; I can't stand the heat!