Bald Dog & The Sun

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Summer is here, and Echo is a mess. :) She blew what little fur she had, and now again looks like someone gave her a full body mohawk. It actually looks like she was shaved. (She looked like this when we adopted her last summer, so we doubt its thyroid. She grew some fur over winter, but its back to the mohawk, now that summer is here.)

1. She loooooooooooves the sun, and loves to be outside in spurts- 10 min here, 10 min there, all day long. (Sherman and Patton always did that too, but I never worried about sunburn, since the had lush coats.) But, Echo is really bald, and I worry a little about sunburn. Is it possible she can burn?

2. I have been reading another bald dog threat, and people have had success with melatonin, for growing lush coats on bald dogs. I'd love to try it with Echo, but am confused which is better- (we live in the desert) - fur or no fur? If she's losing what little fur she has now, wouldn't she be uncomfortable?

Thanks!

Guest june

I don't know which is better: fur or no fur, but dogs can and do sunburn. There is a sunscreen out there for dogs but I would think just keeping an eye on her so that she doesn't get too much sun would do it.

june

The greyts I have had most of them actually get a "tan" if they're out enough. Funny thing is their skin actually turns dark grey or black instead of tan but I think overall it is good for them except in excess.

Guest RichardUK

Agree with June - dogs can suffer sunburn - just as they can suffer heat stoke. We have a rule of thumb - black fur or skin - in kennels at over 80 - the lighter the coat the higher the temperature. But our maximum is around 85 and fairly humid (in comparison to desert. We put them inside at the first sign of distress.

Guest BrianRke

They can definitely get a sun burn. I use COPPERTONE WATER BABIES and apply it to the bald spots whenever she is out in the sun.

Yes, they can burn, and they can also get skin cancer--white dogs are particularly vulnerable.

Fur acts like down on a duck; people who shave their long haired dogs down in the summer are actually doing the dog a disservice, as the fur is natural insulation from the cold and the heat.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I use a baby-safe, spray on sun lotion. Coppertone Water Babies, but we've used others too. Try a small patch first to make sure she isn't allergic.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Spencer, never hairy to begin with, lost even more fur being on an immunosuppressant the last two years. In the summer we use a spray-on suntan product for children by Neutrogena. His internist said to go for a non-waterproof formula (presumably, less chemical insult), but we couldn't find any last year! We sprayed his chest, sides and legs a few minutes before going outside. Seems to work fine.

ETA: The other three seasons are cool enough here for him to wear a coat or a windbreaker and get good coverage that way. And it's cloudy enough then too not to worry overly about his legs. YMMV.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

One of our hounds is currently suffering from terminal, aggressive Hemangiosarcoma Cancer which is known to be caused by excessive sun exposure. She was almost 7 y.o. at adoption, and the excessive sun exposure would have occurred in her earlier life. She's always had a very full, thick body of fur (brindle with white). She's never had any balding. She has the thickest fur of any of our hounds.

There are many different canine and feline cancers caused by excessive sun. Unfortunately, clouds do not block harmful rays.

Per www.PetPlace.com: "Minimize your pet's exposure to the sun, especially for dogs that are poorly pigmented and have a sparse haircoat. Hemangiosarcoma of the skin can be caused by excessive exposure to the sun."