Tick Issue?

Guest GreyFan09

Guest GreyFan09

We had our boy Comet on Frontline Plus for the last few years, and like a lot of people, we had a bad flea issue last year (but no ticks) that Frontline did not control. So, this year, per many recommendations, including our Vet, I switched him over to Revolution which is good for fleas and heartworm, but not ticks. Now, I have already found 2 ticks on him in the last 3 weeks and that is just from going out in the backyard.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good tick product to use on him that can complement the Revolution? I would prefer if it was not a collar as we have a 2 year old in the house, and I don't want her touching it if she pets him. Anything oral or topical out there?

Thanks, and I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Tony

I used to use Revolution and Frontline - applied them about 2 weeks apart. Now I use Iverheart Max, because it's for hooks, in addition to heartworms. But Bootsy did fine on the combo, as did Argos.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest snakes

I use the natural spray Ectopamine and it works well, drawback is you have to keep reapplying it as opposed to the once a month topicals and it stinks of cloves (good or bad depending on your tastes) :)

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Advantix is good as long as you don't have cats. I don't know if you can use it with Revolution though. That's why I don't like using topical flea/heartorm meds. Keep the flea & heartworm seperate, that way you can switch flea/tick products as needed!

I loved Revolution! But with our increased traveling to the US... I need tick control. So I switched this year to K9 Advantix plus HeartGuard. So far, so good. Advantix is okay for greyhounds, I checked with OSU. If you DO switch, note that Advantix is greasier and there seems to be a lot more of it. Unlike Revolution which I applied only to the withers, I apply Advantix in 4-6 places just to spread it all out.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest eaglflyt

We live in a rural area and we use Preventic collars on all our dogs. They work great! Keeps everyone tick free. :) The collars last for 3 months and are frequently on sale at the source at the link.

These collars are sighthound safe and do not protect against fleas. They control TICKS only. For fleas we use Comfortis when we have a problem.

Guest mountain4greys

I know you didn't want to use any kind of collar because of your little girl, but the Preventic Tick Collar does really work! I just bought 6 for my hounds. They started recently getting a tick here and a tick there.

Last year was really bad and we had to go over each hound, inch by inch. We found a lot of them between their toes. The tick collars killed every one of the one we missed on them, and kept them tick free for the rest of the summer.

Frontline Plus does NOT repel ticks, so you just got lucky last year.

The only product I know of that does repel ticks that's not a collar is Advantix, but you cannot use it if you have cats.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest RichardUK

We use Preventic Tick Collars as we can swap the collar to the next inmate as they arrive saving money. Seems to work well - and haven't had objections from parents of the many small children that come - and when I consider what other things young children get into - I wouldn't worry either.

Guest eaglflyt

The way that the Preventic collar works is very similar to Revolution ... it spreads the active ingredient all over the skin of the dog. They both work the same way and there is human exposure to some mild degree by either topical or collars. Also, my bigger concern for your little one would be her getting a tick exposure over the exposure to the medication.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I like the natural sprays even if you have to re-apply them a lot. If you're getting ticks from your yard you need to get All the leaves out of the yard and well away from the outside of the fence line, then put down good pyrethrin spray or powder outside the fence and around the whole perimeter.

For really good information on keeping your property safe from ticks, as well as safe ways to treat your yard and clothing, see http://www.tickencounter.org/ . Run by Professor Tom Mather at the University of Rhode Island (we are Tick-central around here), it's just an invaluable resource. Especially if you have children because you do Not want her getting bitten.

Guest GreyFan09

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions. I will be looking into the information you gave me, including the Preventic collars and make a decision soon.

Also, on a side note, has anyone ever heard of a flea and tick preventiative called "Vectra"? My sister-in-law got it from her Vet who said it's the latest and greatest, and uses it on her Golden Retreiver, but I don't know if it's safe for Greyhounds. I haven't heard of it before, so just wondering.

Thanks!

Guest Timo

Just wanted to chime in that I am alternating between advantage and frontline plus. It's been a great combo. I give advantage every 3 weeks, and frontline every six weeks. The advantage doesn't seem to work the full 30 days, and the vet said it was safe enough to give weekly even. The vet did say NEVER to use advantix, very bad for the dog. They also said the adam's products can be toxic.

Just wanted to chime in that I am alternating between advantage and frontline plus. It's been a great combo. I give advantage every 3 weeks, and frontline every six weeks. The advantage doesn't seem to work the full 30 days, and the vet said it was safe enough to give weekly even. The vet did say NEVER to use advantix, very bad for the dog. They also said the adam's products can be toxic.

K9 Advantix is FINE to use on greyhounds. I have this straight from they-who-know at OSU, where they use it on all their blood donor dogs (about 80 of them) and report that they have NEVER had a problem.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Timely question. I am having problems too. Preventic it is going to be, it sounds like.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

• 4 months later...
Guest verthib

I noticed you said your vet said not to use Advantix. LOTS of greyhound owners use that.. it's an excellent product. Why did they say not to use it?

Guest greyers

Thanks for starting this thread! I was going to be starting one today with the same question (though specifically about the preventic collar). I'm in the same boat, frontline is not cutting the fleas, advantage 2 worked great for the fleas, but now I sacrifice tick control and Prudence had 2 on her in one weekend! I tried the Advantix 2 last weekend and they have been god awful itchy and miserable this week. Gave them baths yesterday afternoon to wash off most the advantix and nary an itch since then!

So I am back to advantage 2 for fleas, and then either have to rotate every couple weeks with frontline plus OR stick with advantage 2 and add the preventic collar. I think I am going to order that collar today.

Good luck with your tick problems! I've never had a year like this.

I noticed you said your vet said not to use Advantix. LOTS of greyhound owners use that.. it's an excellent product. Why did they say not to use it?

The vet said it could be toxic, and to never use it. After she said that, I googled it and found that a lot of dogs had gotten severely sick and/or died from it. I am not saying they were greyhounds, but I'm not wiling to take the chance.

Guest verthib

The vet said it could be toxic, and to never use it. After she said that, I googled it and found that a lot of dogs had gotten severely sick and/or died from it. I am not saying they were greyhounds, but I'm not wiling to take the chance.

Unfortunately there are reactions with ALL topicals. Frontline just not work for us anymore. If it did, I'd keep using it.

Unfortunately there are reactions with ALL topicals. Frontline just not work for us anymore. If it did, I'd keep using it.

Frontline stopped working on fleas, and Timo has bad flea allergies. That's why we use advantage with the frontline to prevent both fleas and ticks.